What Matters | Teen Ink

What Matters

What really matters? In my mind many different things matter. Family matters, love matters, friendship matters, and religion matters. So many different things matter it’s hard to just say one thing matters. If I had to choose I would say my Christianity matters and my family matters.

Christianity is one of the most important aspects of my life. I go to church on a regular basis and enjoy listening to what our pastor, Tom Wink, has to say. Over the past two years, my Christianity has grown especially stronger. When I was in the hospital I had a dream about God and he talked to me in my dream. I heard his voice as I was walking through a pasture and he said I would make a full recovery. God has a plan for each and every one of us. In my case I wanted to go and play college football for Wisconsin, but God had a different plan for me. I don’t know what his plan is for me, but I’m sure it will be great. There is a Bible verse that I heard in church and I say sometimes to myself when I feel down. The verse says: “Jesus says don’t be afraid, just trust me.”

My family is amazing. I would say that I have one of the best families a 17-year old high school senior can have. We have been through so much together and we have grown closer to one another. Before my injury my sister and I were close, but after my injury my sister and I became close. Whenever she comes home to visit, I try and spend as much time with her as I can. I am also very close to my mom and dad. With everything we have been through my family is one of the most loving and caring families that I could have. They are amazing and they will never know how much I love them all.

Christianity and family matter the most to me and I try and express how awesome they are as much as I can. I don’t know where I would be without them in my life. They have been there for me through thick and thin are simply amazing. When you are sitting at home one day with nothing to do just ask yourself, “What really matters?”

KandiceMichelle PLATINUM, Stansonburg, North Carolina

"Yet God has made everything BEAUTIFUL for its own time. He has planted ETERNITY in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end." -Ecclesiastes 3:11

This was a very touching article! I have been through similar experiences when times got tough for me, and I managed to pull through with the help of God :) You did a very good job writing this article too :D