Standing Out, What Makes Me Different

I walk through the doors of my high school as I watch hundreds of kids pass by. Millions of teenagers just like me nationwide attend school as well, so what makes me so special? What am I doing to stand out? I would hope the answer is obvious to those who know me. I smile every time I am recognized as the Christian girl, so innocent and outspoken. It is an accomplishment to know I do not have to tell someone how I stand because my actions are speaking for me. I attend the Bible study at my school, and Church regularly. I stand out from the crowd by saying no to the simplest things. My peers may say im “too innocent” because I choose not to cuss, “try” alcohol, or go too far with a boy. However, I know I am not a saint. I make mistakes, sometimes I make the wrong decisions, I get mad and frustrated and slip a few words I should not have, but that is what makes me human. No one is perfect, that is exactly why I turn to God to save me of my sins.
What makes Christianity different from so many other religions? Christianity is the only religion that teaches you cannot earn your way to heaven. The Bible states, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one can get to the Father except through Me (John 14:6).” Many believe you can get to heaven simply from your good works. Well consider this, the Bible says everyone will face Him after death to be judged (2 Corinthians 5:10), if you were standing before God how would you prove you deserve to be in heaven? Let us say He told you to get into heaven you needed 1,000 points. You might say, “Well I did help my mom clean the kitchen once without her telling me to.” However, keep in mind that God is omniscient, which means He is all knowing. In response He might say, “Alright there’s one, but you also hit your brother the same day.” Really, there is no way that you can end up getting those points because everyone has many more negative thoughts and actions than they do good ones. That is why Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again. God sent Him to give His life to pay the debt of our sins.
There may be those who do not believe in God in general. How do you explain the universe? If you argue with the big bang theory, I ask what made those molecules that collided? The Bible says, “Since what may be known about God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–His eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse (Romans 1:19-20).”
Christianity is more than a religion; it is a relationship with God through prayer, and reading His word, the Bible; it is not a label, it is a lifestyle. For so many who question the meaning of life, it is to glorify God in what we do, to give to Him what he gave to us (life). Earth is only temporary; I do believe there is an afterlife because the Bible tells us so (2 Corinthians 5:10). Everyone will have life after death, the question is where you will spend it, heaven, or hell, there is no in-between. We are on earth now because God has given us a choice to follow Him or not. You cannot force love, so He gives us the option to surrender to Him or surrender to sin, the many temptations we face every day.
The bell rings, marking the end of another day. I walk through the crowd my head held high, my face glowing with joy as if I am the light shining. Heads turn and people ask, “What does that girl have that makes her different? How does she smile, when so many things go wrong?”

toxic.monkey said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 6:50 am:
it's very well written! but i don't agree with you.

LeannaRose replied...
Feb. 14, 2010 at 7:05 pm :
thank you :)
what is your view?

toxic.monkey replied...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 8:48 am :
well, i'm practically an atheist, with some buddhist inclinations. lol

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:30 am :
I'm the same as you! I'm an atheist but I believe that some Buddhist methods are very beneficial.

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:20 pm :
if i may ask, and why do u follow those certain beliefs of buddhism, and yet call yourself an athiest?

toxic.monkey replied...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 9:02 am :

atheist because i don't believe in a divine being. buddha wasn't divine, he was only a man who showed others a different way. like jesus, but without being really any different from other people.

"follow" isn't really the right word for me. i found buddhism to match to what i thought, rather than buddhism teaching me to think like the way i do.

Apr. 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm :
Buddhists don't believe in god, although they do believe in Buddha. But since they don't believe in god, I am an atheist.

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm :
sorry if you could explain what exactly is it that budhha does?

Apr. 7, 2010 at 12:10 pm :
Buddha is a divine power too, though that part I don't believe in . Buddhism is really about finding happiness within, and focuses on meditating, being nice to others, and remaining calm in usually tough situations. Ever heard of the Dalai Lama? He is sort of the leader of Buddhism, and has reached enlightment (ultimate happiness). well, that's it! sorry i said whatever before btw. :)

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm :

its alrite.

and i believe happiness can only last for a short time, but you can find joy through Christ.

toxic.monkey said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 6:47 am:
in islam you don't get "points" either- when you die, your good deeds and your bad deeds get weighted against each other. more good=heaven more bad= hell . although i am pretty much an atheist, this is really well written-- so good job :)

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 7:51 pm :
You just said you don't get points. But then directly after you said your good and bad deeds "are weighed" after death. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

toxic.monkey replied...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm :
in my view the two, getting points and doing good or bad deeds, aren't the same thing. in Islam there's emphasis that you can't go "okay i cheated on my wife so today i have to give to the poor", you have to do good things just because they're good. THEN you're going to heaven. but as I said i'm an atheist and i'm only pointing out.

Mar. 29, 2010 at 1:45 pm :

That's the exact same thing. Whether you do it to make up for past mistakes or just because it's good, you're still working your way into heaven or paradise or whatever. When you're a Christian, yeah you still do good things, but because you want to, not because you have to. Jesus paid the price for everyone, any color any race anyone and everyone, to go to heaven when He died on the cross. Simply because He loves us. He didn't have to. He could have called 10,000 angels to take Him off the c... (more »)

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:27 pm :
ZadaRox101: i couldnt hav said it any better. thank you so much, may God Bless:)

toxic.monkey replied...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 9:11 am :
right. so any person can go to heaven. but only as long as they're christian, since you have to believe that jesus is god. oh and of course feeling bad about your sins.

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 5:04 pm :
Well the Bible says there is only one way to heaven, through Jesus Christ.

DisicpleofChristandJesusEnthusiast replied...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm :
Yup. You are right again, Leanna Rose. And You too, Toxic Monkey.

sandra =D said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 11:47 pm:
this is beautiful leanna Praise god for all creations =]

LeannaRose replied...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 12:24 am :
thank you :)

ladychristythenoble replied...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 1:39 pm :
wow that is really beautiful keep up the good work :D