Standing Out, What Makes Me Different

I walk through the doors of my high school as I watch hundreds of kids pass by. Millions of teenagers just like me nationwide attend school as well, so what makes me so special? What am I doing to stand out? I would hope the answer is obvious to those who know me. I smile every time I am recognized as the Christian girl, so innocent and outspoken. It is an accomplishment to know I do not have to tell someone how I stand because my actions are speaking for me. I attend the Bible study at my school, and Church regularly. I stand out from the crowd by saying no to the simplest things. My peers may say im “too innocent” because I choose not to cuss, “try” alcohol, or go too far with a boy. However, I know I am not a saint. I make mistakes, sometimes I make the wrong decisions, I get mad and frustrated and slip a few words I should not have, but that is what makes me human. No one is perfect, that is exactly why I turn to God to save me of my sins.
What makes Christianity different from so many other religions? Christianity is the only religion that teaches you cannot earn your way to heaven. The Bible states, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one can get to the Father except through Me (John 14:6).” Many believe you can get to heaven simply from your good works. Well consider this, the Bible says everyone will face Him after death to be judged (2 Corinthians 5:10), if you were standing before God how would you prove you deserve to be in heaven? Let us say He told you to get into heaven you needed 1,000 points. You might say, “Well I did help my mom clean the kitchen once without her telling me to.” However, keep in mind that God is omniscient, which means He is all knowing. In response He might say, “Alright there’s one, but you also hit your brother the same day.” Really, there is no way that you can end up getting those points because everyone has many more negative thoughts and actions than they do good ones. That is why Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again. God sent Him to give His life to pay the debt of our sins.
There may be those who do not believe in God in general. How do you explain the universe? If you argue with the big bang theory, I ask what made those molecules that collided? The Bible says, “Since what may be known about God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–His eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse (Romans 1:19-20).”
Christianity is more than a religion; it is a relationship with God through prayer, and reading His word, the Bible; it is not a label, it is a lifestyle. For so many who question the meaning of life, it is to glorify God in what we do, to give to Him what he gave to us (life). Earth is only temporary; I do believe there is an afterlife because the Bible tells us so (2 Corinthians 5:10). Everyone will have life after death, the question is where you will spend it, heaven, or hell, there is no in-between. We are on earth now because God has given us a choice to follow Him or not. You cannot force love, so He gives us the option to surrender to Him or surrender to sin, the many temptations we face every day.
The bell rings, marking the end of another day. I walk through the crowd my head held high, my face glowing with joy as if I am the light shining. Heads turn and people ask, “What does that girl have that makes her different? How does she smile, when so many things go wrong?”

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 24, 2010 at 7:47 pm:
Well, I don't really think that we do more negative things than positive things. In Islam, for instance, even moving a rock out of someone's path (to prevent them from having difficult) is a good deed. Also, God multiplies good deeds whilst bad deeds only count for one.
Having said that, God is the Most Merciful and the Forgiving, and without Him, it is impossible to get into heaven. He judges all of our deeds, and He knows in the end whether we deserve heaven or hell.
On... (more »)

jesus_saves replied...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 9:22 pm :

o are responsible for your thought. If somehtign bad just "slips" into your mind, well its okay, we are human. But when we chase those thoughts around deliberalty we are sining. I agree wiht Leannarose. 

Jesus rocks by the way.

And Destinee, could you please explain what you beleive to me? I am curious about what the islamic people beleive.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm :
je.sus_saves: 

Haha, we're called "Muslims". Calling us "The Islamic people" is like me calling you guys "The Christ people". :)

But. Yeah. We believe Prophet Jesus (pbuh) was a messenger and servant of God, sent with signs and miracles to the Children of Israel. He did not die on the cross, but rather, God raised him to Heaven. And he'll return some day. :)

jesus_saves replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm :

Sorry about the confusion.... I was trying to figure out which one... so you don't believe jesus was the son of God, but he was a prophet? NAd then Muhammad is the "final and formost" prophet of Allah?

One more question. If you scould sum your entire religon in one sentence what sentence would it be?

Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm :
je.sus_saves: 

He was a messenger and prophet from God, yes. :) So was Muhammad (pbuh). Muhammad (pbuh) was the final prophet; he was not the "foremost". Each prophet was important to his nation. :)

Um. Haha, hard question.

"There is no god but God."

That is the centre of our religion, the basis of all truth. :)

jesus_saves replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm :

cause thats liek the whole "proffesion of faith" thing isn't it?

And do you only read the Koran or is the bible, since it talks about jesus, incorperated in your religon?

sorry i am asking so many questions.I am writing a report and its interesting to hear this stuff from someone who like really is a muslim and not just some book or website. :D

Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:27 pm :
Yes, that is the shahadah, the testimonial to faith. The full thing is, "There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the messenger of God." :) 

The Qur'an has been perfectly preserved, so unlike the Bible, it can be trusted to contain ONLY God's word. The Bible is an important part of history, culture, and religious understanding. It contains divine wisdom too. However, since it has inaccuracies, we cannot trust it 100%, which is why the Qur'an is so important. :)

Neverth... (more »)

jesus_saves replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm :
its kind of weird how close our religons are but yet they are so far apart. I beleive Jesus is the way to my slavationa nd he is the son of God. I also beleive the bible is true. Its nice to have a conversation with you. You seem to not condem my religon, and I am not condeming your. More of a pleasant conversation than a debate =D

Nov. 17, 2011 at 4:11 pm :
Haha, well, Abrahamic faiths are very close. But it's actually a bit freaky how close orthodox Judaism and Islam are. :) 

I believe the Bible is partially true. 

It was nice talking to you too! :) And haha, debates are dumb. Why argue when you can discuss? XD

jesus_saves replied...
Nov. 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm :
exactly! :D Its cool to understnad and discuss other religons. Thanks for talking Destinee!

Nov. 17, 2011 at 5:15 pm :
No worries, thanks to you too! 

Jingmei said...
Mar. 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm:
I totally agree. People keep thinking that we're just crazy religious people. We're not. We've just been caught by the crazy love of Christ for us, all that He has done for us! God bless you, and keep shining for Him. Hope to see you someday home =)

LeannaRose replied...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm :
yes completely! thanks for the support! :)

GrammieFan said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm:
You have glowed with love from within from the day you were born. I am so proud of you, who you are and who you are becomming. You make my heart smile. Keep glowing, and inspiring those around you.

Vinny said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm:
Your writing is pretty good!

AngelGal07 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 5:51 pm:
YES!!!!!! finally someone who understands also!!!!!!!!! i get fustrated when people say christananity is a religon but in truth is a relashionship!!!!!!! thank you soooo much for writing this! it helps me know that i'm not the only teenager out there who doesnt fit the mold of what people want us to be!!!!

LeannaRose replied...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm :
lol thats great! i'm glad my arrticle can mean something to someone :)

staceynyc28 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm:
i love this ur work i relates to me in alot of ways keep writing

LeannaRose replied...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm :
thank you :)

distant_dreamer said...
Feb. 14, 2010 at 9:18 pm:
Wow, good for you! I'm so happy to know of another christian !! I'm one too!!! Keep up the great work!! :) Maybe check out my stuff sometime, I would LOVE the feeback! :) God bless!!!!!!

toxic.monkey said...
Feb. 13, 2010 at 6:50 am:
it's very well written! but i don't agree with you.