The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

gaga_fan_2828 said...

In response to your first statement:

Try to imagine that there is a supreme being (mind you, no one has ever actually encountered this being DIRECTLY [not just the supposed effects of it] and had it be taken down as historically accurate) who is all-powerful, and this one being had the power to create a billion solar systems and an ever-expanding universe, and has power over every single thing on Earth, but still allows war and hunger to go on, even though it's all "for the better good... (more »)

sunshine replied...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 8:34 am
So are you an atheist? If you are then what explanation do you give for such systematic beings just popping into existence one after the other. I am talking about babies being born. As I mentioned in another comment, do you really believe that such a law abiding universe has no one to control it. Do you really believe that this universe that is ever expanding has not been ordered by some entity to keep expanding. We humans are like specks of dust compared to this ever expanding universe, the man... (more »)

toxic.monkey said...

you've made quite a few good points and you are pretty convincing. i just want to note that (according to the theory of evolution) humans came from apes and not monkeys as you've said a few times in your article. monkeys and apes aren't quite the same.

actually i think that creationism isn't taught in schools is because it's ingrained into our societies' beliefs anyway.

clumsy_one123 replied...

haha yes i agree. see, i wrote this paper last year for school and when i went through and corrected some stuff i guess i missed that.

and yes, that is a very good point :) though some believe otherwise

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Humans did not come from apes or monkeys. Apes, humans, and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor. Scientists believe that the common ancestor lived 5-8 million years ago. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat02.html)

ElephantGirl523 said...
I think ur a really good writer

clumsy_one123 replied...
thank you :) it's nice to hear that.

sailercThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't think you are right at all. I don't think god exists. How could anything or anyone create something like that? If you believe in god it's like you believe in magic, which everyone knows isn't real. Plus, scientists can prove that evolution exists. Evolution seems a lot easier to believe than creationism. Don't you agree?

clumsy_one123 replied...
no i do not agree -_-

toxic.monkey replied...
what about those species who are a transition of homo sapiens and apes? evolution is not about an ape slowly turning into a human. it's about how some apes had a mutation of, say, having straighter backs and they were efficient in running away. they had offspring who had those traits. the traits are passed on. the theory of evolution basically says that we, humans-lords-of-the-animals (not), are a collection of mutations and other accidents.

sunshine replied...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 5:13 am

Dear sailerc,

I can understand that it is hard for an atheist to make sense of the belief that God exists but you still can't prove the belief wrong. For me it is hard to believe that evolution exists. I can believe in it in the context that things keep changing but I can't believe that apes and humans came from the same ancestor. But even if I believe in the theory I still think that there is some kind of entity that has power over everything and that made humans and apes ha... (more »)

Lilliterra replied...
Um. I do not think "magic" really exists, at all, (in the way that you mean it) and I do not think an internet search is going to convince me. There is all kinds of false nonsense on the internet.

sunshine said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 11:35 am

Hi clumsy_one123.

We believe that God sent down a lot of prophets for guidance like you believe. But we believe that Christianity, Judaism and Islam are from the same stem because they were God's true message. We believe God sent down 4 holy books, to David, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed. However when the first 3 books came down, people did not take care of them properly and the words in the books kept changing as they passed from one generation to another. So we believe tha... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
thank you. that is really interesting to me :)

sunshine replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:55 am
if you want to ask me anything else in future I wouldn't mind at all. By the way, tell me some of the things Bible states and is it true that you believe Jesus was God Himself.

clumsy_one123 replied...

well... the basic message of the Bible is about the coming of Christ (old testament), the life of Christ (the first four books of the new testament), and how a christian should live (the rest of the NT). it teaches that to be saved, we must believe and then be baptized in order to recieve frogiveness for our sins, which we must do to go to heaven. not all will be saved.

yes, we believe that Jesus is God himself, and no at the same time. christians believe in the "God Head... (more »)

sunshine replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 5:05 am
Yes it does answer my questions and thankyou for your reply. We believe that there is only one god, which is God, in Arabic it is Allah. This is the central point of Islam and anyone who worships any other form of god or god then he cannot be a Muslim. According to us Jesus is one of the prophets. I think we believe in holy spirit but we call it the angel gabriel or jibraeel in arabic and we don't believe it is divine. However I will confirm for you if the angel jibraeel is believed to be the ho... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
well, the Bible says in Genesis 1:26, "Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness..."". notice the "our" and "us" which suggests that God is God the Father, god the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. just in case any one was wondering where i got the thing about the Godhead

sunshine replied...
Apr. 9, 2010 at 3:49 am
thankyou for the reference. it helps me to understand where the Godhead comes from.

clumsy_one123 replied...
you're welcome ;)