How Far Is Too Far?

I’ll be the first person to admit that I’m an atheist. It’s not because I don’t believe in religions, or don’t like them, it’s simply because that is the way I was brought up, and I then chose to follow that.
But I do believe that when another human being is denied a crucial medical procedure because it goes against their family’s religion, that is taking things way too far. It is leaving a person suffering. It could be classed as murder. If a person wants to deny that medicine or procedure for themselves, it’s their choice, and they live with the consequences. But when the decision is made for a person, he or she is having a potentially life-saving act taken away from them against their will, it’s totally unacceptable.
In these situations, people should think about what sorts of things their religions stand for.
Everyone has the right to speak their mind and make their own decisions, so why diminish that right? You wouldn’t want people choosing your friends, or choosing your favourite food, or choosing which clothes you want to wear. So why let people chose your religion?
I admire people who follow a religion. I think it’s a commendable thing - it’s an amazing thing to believe in something. Belief is what keeps everyone happy, and the world turning. And if that’s what religion is doing, then great. But let people make their own decisions in this world. I’d hope that if I wanted to start following a religious path, that my family would let me, and be supportive of me. So maybe, before forcing an idea or belief onto your child or friend, let them make their own decisions. They may be different to yours, or they may be the same. But in the end, does it really matter? You are related to them, you love them. That’s all that matters.
Religion is all about choice, and everyone has a right to theirs.

ColbyMartin said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:08 am

I think I'm in love with you...

(;

In all seriousnessess, great article.

Hollywog. replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:18 am

Haha why thankyou ;)

LOL

No, seriously - thanks, that's really sweet :D

I'm just about to go and check out some of your work. Be ready! Haha :P

Love and Sunshine,

Holly!

SummerNicole said...
May 30, 2010 at 1:20 am
It would be one less thing to fight over...& also one less thing to hope for... Relgion can be bad, but also good. Some people need something to believe in & something to do & look at regularly... It helps them bear with the tough things in life...

more_weight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can't say I completely agree with you but I do agree with that everyone should be given a right to decide their own way in life.

Hollywog. replied...
Thanks for your comment :)
Sort of curious though - which bit don't you agree with?
Thanks! :D
Love and Sunshine,
Holly!

more_weight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I disagree wholly with religion and believe it should be banned any every corner of the earth.

earthy_kat replied...
Thats taking it a tad to far, I think.

Hollywog. replied...
I agree with earthy_kat, but everyone has the right to their own opinion, and I sort of understand where you're coming from. Thanks to you both for your comments! :D
xoxo

How is it taking it too far? Religion is one of the most prominent backbones for hatred, violence and war. In a world without religion, there would be one less thing to fight over. In a world with any Gods or religious figures, it might be mass chaos or it might just be the answer to stopping all the cruelty that the world suffers through.

earthy_kat replied...
Yes, religion is the cause of a lot of war and death. But a persons religion is also something that /stops/ them from killing, stealing, and other things. And for some people, their religion is what keeps them going. My grandmothers husband died of cancer, and it took him a long time to die. He suffered. And my gran's religion is one of the few things that kept her going while her husband and the father of her children lay dying in a hospital bed. Think about that, will you? Will my granddad die... (more »)