Stereotyped

By , Oakville, Canada
Recently, I read an article about atheism by Sarah M. Titled "My Religion", I would urge everyone to read it, as it gives an insight into an atheist's mind, one that is not often seen. While I was reading it, I was thinking; 'wait. I barely knew her religion, yet I rejected it. Have people done the same to mine?'

I've moved from Saudi Arabia to Canada. As anyone with a basic knowledge of geography and culture knows, that is about the biggest culture shock a person can get. In Saudi Arabia, modesty was valued. In Canada, modesty is but a word. In Saudi Arabia, I felt at home, among fellow Muslims. No-one questioned me or my principles; they were generally accepted and understood to be true. When I came here, I thought, unreasonably, that it would be the same. I thought that people would have a general, basic knowledge of something that was my whole world. I was so sure of God, and Islam, and all of the ideals that came along with it. I thought that others, too, would be drawn by the light.

I was wrong.

Canada is a very tolerant place. Anyone will tell you that it is a multicultural quilt. The people are polite and respectful. They are wonderfully open-minded. But they, unfortunately, have concluded that as Christianity is not for them, neither is any other religion in the world. Chrisitianity, a religion which they are familiar with, is their base for judging other religions.

I am, of course, generalising here. But not much. It is what I have seen and observed. Undoubtedly, not everyone thinks like this. But the people whom I have met--nice and honest to the core--are blissful in their ignorance. And it kills me, because they don't see what they're missing out on.

Islam is not violent. It is not oppressive or cruel or any other stereotype. It is, quite honestly, what is true. Every time I read the Quran (the holy book), I know that it is true. The most beautiful poetry fills my ears and heart. It's as if some empty part of me is content. This is faith.

But for some, faith is not enough. They need scientific reasoning. They need facts. And, because Christianity does not give them these, they think that Islam does not either. It is perfectly normal. But I would urge anyone who feels this way to read "Allah's Miracles in the Quran" by Harun Yahya. It is one of the most in-depth and enlightening books on the subject. Science, through and through. Order it off Amazon or eBay. It's not that difficult.

Every single time I hang out with my new Canadian friends, there's always a little thorn in my heart, saying, 'What will happen to them after they die?'. It hurts so much to know that someone you care about is misguided. That is why believers of all religions always try to get non-believers to convert--they care. They cannot stand the idea of you or I burning. They want to help. I want to help.

I realise that I am getting a bit desperate here, but if I manage to convince even one person, it will be worth it.

ReflectionsofYou said...
I know what it's like to step out of your "bubble" if you want to call it that. Except I didn't have to leave my country to do it. And I know what it's like to worry about what will happen to your friends when they die. But your piece made me think of some of the similarities between christian and muslim beliefs. That's interesting because I hadn't really thought of that before. Maybe I'll search a little deeper. It's hard to really get to the botto... (more »)

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm :
Of course it's silly, Earl. I certainly don't believe it. :)

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 8:24 am :
That's certainly a relief, considering the people that I've met who do. However, what fascinates me even more are people who argue over minute differences in theology, such as the material Christ was made up of, who should be the new Caliph, or whether we should eat pork or poultry or cow or people. Well, I don't approve of eating people, but I see no reason to get into a huff over such details. After all, aren't all religions, in the end, simply methods of achieving self-actualization and chann... (more »)

Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:48 pm :
Earl:

Rather open-minded, aren't you? :) Actually, none of the things you listed count as theology except for the one about Christ. Whether pork can be eaten falls under law/spirituality, not theology. Caliphs fall under politics/spirituality/implementation, not theology (and actually it was a big deal for the same reason that people make a big deal over whether a Republican or Democrat wins -- it reflects values and the way a people will shape themselves).

People only ge... (more »)

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:26 am :
Forgive me, I assumed that anything regarding how spirituality affects people's way of thinking and daily lives counted as theology. It appears that I was wrong. Alas.

Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm :
:) Alas....

BlueRain replied...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm :

Actually, Earl is correct.

Theology: 1The study of the nature of God and religious belief. 2 the study of religious faith, practice, and experience

BlueRain replied...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm :

Actually, Earl is correct.

BlueRain replied...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:21 pm :
Have no idea why it posted twice -_-

caitlin.calamity said...
You sure convinced me to at least read a bit on the subject. :)