Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

DarkenRose said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm:
This is really inspiring, It tells the truth of how kids get bullied and want to end their lifes and how we should stop it, great job

DarkenRose replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm :
Your very welcome:), good luck with your article and remember don't ever give up and again good luck:)

Eno-BladzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:51 am:
i wish more kids would 'treat others they way you want to be treated' i hope this works for your school

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:58 am :
Thanks!  I hope it works too.  :)

Poetic_Mind said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm:
I really liked this, especially because you were doing it to take a stand for your school and for those being hurt in it. I alwayys love interest pieces from people who WANT to do something about this stuff. In my school, we have problems and problem kids but we also have an outstanding number of kids who will help another because they dont care about being cool enough to not help. I hope it all works out for your school and more people step-up :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm :
Thanks for the comment, Poetic_Mind!  I hope it works out for my school too.  But I honestly doubt it will.

Samyukta said...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 4:09 am:
It is a nice effort to bring forth the true situations that scar the joyous times of of school life. :) 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 8:49 am :
Thanks, samyukta.  I wouldn't call school joyous, but that's just my opinion. :)

AspiringWriter said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 9:28 am:

Fantastic article! I truly loved it. It clearly showed your view on the argument, which is exactly what a good writer does. I'm glad you wrote something about bullying. :)

I found a few grammatical errors, and few use of repetitive . . . umm, ideas. But, I think that's about it. Everything else seems perfect.

I loved how you used important examples, which the reader can relate to. That builds up on your well-written article. Great job! :)

Also, I totally agree with you. B... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm :
Thanks for the critique, AspiringWriter!

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm:
I remember when I was still in my previous school. We had a classmate who is a "special child", if you know what I mean. And before you even convince them out of bullying, you will get tired because they will never stop. So what I did is condone it because some of my classmates and I bully each other.

But something worse happened to the point of physical injury like he was pushed... That was when the teachers and school administrations knew what was happening. And they all were asking... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm :
Thanks, Alon_Freevoice!  I'm sorry about what happened at your previous school.  Yeah, I wish stuff like that wouldn't happen because even if a child is a "special child", they have feelings and deserve to be treated like a human being.

DoubleN said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm:
This is so incredible! I completely agree with this article! Great job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm :
Thanks so much, DoubleN!  Especially since my thread is a free feedback thread. :)

DemonXxXchild903 said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm:
I feel all kinds of guilty reading this! but, that's the sign that this article is well-written.If I didn't know any better I would have thought a professional would have written it! Fantastic job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 7:16 pm :
Thanks, DemonXxXchild903!  :)  Bullying is everyone's problem, so everyone has to be part of the solution.  I hope this has changed some people's views on bullying.  But why do you feel guilty when you read this?

Tink1350 said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm:
Good job! I totally agree

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm :
Thanks, Tink1350!  I appreciate the time you took to read all of my pieces of writing!

Midnightstar32 said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm:
Your article is great! I don't know if you recognize me by my username but you told me to make an account so I did! And I'm proud of you for writing this amazing article! If only the people at school could see this! And Carrie, I read your reply to that one comment and you only think you're being a realist! I think that you were being a pessimist when you wrote that. I told you not to forget to take your pills! I'm just kidding with you, but seriously things might change but they could go a lot ... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm :
Hey, Shay-chan!!!  I'm so glad you're joining me here on Teen Ink.  Quit being so optimistic!  I'm just kidding and no, I'm not going along with your scary plan.  And yeah, the people at school would see this if they actually read the newsletter!

musicalmolly said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:36 am:

Your article is very powerful. Bullying is something so terrible and so awful. I know first hand what bullying can do to some people, and I know that sitting around and watching it happen is not how someone should handle it.

I really liked your article. Don't underestimate the power of your own words, however. Just because you haven't seen any changes, doesn't mean anything has changed. Don't give up, and very good job!