Bullying in School | Teen Ink

Bullying in School

June 1, 2011
By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius


If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.


‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.


Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?


When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?


If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.


Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.


Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.


The author's comments:
This was originally an article I wrote for my school newsletter because I was sick of how much bullying was going on at my school. The newsletter just came out and so far nothing has changed; I really wish it would.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 196 comments.


on Jun. 18 2011 at 4:32 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Hey, Shay-chan!!!  I'm so glad you're joining me here on Teen Ink.  Quit being so optimistic!  I'm just kidding and no, I'm not going along with your scary plan.  And yeah, the people at school would see this if they actually read the newsletter!

on Jun. 18 2011 at 4:29 pm
Midnightstar32, Goodsoil, Other
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Carrie I would hit you, but I know you would just hit me back 7 times harder without even trying! And why are the religion kids following us? This is Character Ed. they shouldn't be here!"

Your article is great! I don't know if you recognize me by my username but you told me to make an account so I did! And I'm proud of you for writing this amazing article! If only the people at school could see this! And Carrie, I read your reply to that one comment and you only think you're being a realist! I think that you were being a pessimist when you wrote that. I told you not to forget to take your pills! I'm just kidding with you, but seriously things might change but they could go a lot faster if we did plan 'lock them all in a dark room and give me a chainsaw mask'. Again I'm joking around, but if you haven't figured out who this is by now then I still won't tell you! So good luck and keep writing! Again, I see nothing wrong with your article, but that's just me!

on Jun. 17 2011 at 7:19 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Thanks, musicalmolly!  I still don't think anything will change, but I can always hope.  I guess I'll update the comments if I notice something has changed at my school.

on Jun. 17 2011 at 10:36 am
MollyDoubleU BRONZE, Minooka, Illinois
3 articles 5 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - The Great Gatsby

Your article is very powerful. Bullying is something so terrible and so awful. I know first hand what bullying can do to some people, and I know that sitting around and watching it happen is not how someone should handle it.

I really liked your article. Don't underestimate the power of your own words, however. Just because you haven't seen any changes, doesn't mean anything has changed. Don't give up, and very good job!


on Jun. 17 2011 at 9:17 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Thanks, .Izzy.! Bullying hurts a lot and I just wish this article would help (even a little bit) change my school. But I'm a realist; I know nothing will change.

.Izzy. BRONZE said...
on Jun. 17 2011 at 8:56 am
.Izzy. BRONZE, Broadview Heights, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 388 comments
This is such an important topic. I don't think people realise how much bullying hurts. It did seem a little repetitious, as well as a couple of small grammatical errors. But overall, you knew your facts and voiced your opinions well.

on Jun. 15 2011 at 4:30 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

You're right, JoPepper, teachers don't do enough to stop it.  The teachers at my school (which is really bad for bullying) just don't care anymore.  They have just given up, even though they notice it.

on Jun. 15 2011 at 4:29 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Thanks, xelawriter97!  Yeah, I probably went overboard on the victim's pain part but that's because I was bullied (I know how much it hurts) and I wanted to tell the people who are bullies just how much pain their victims go through.  Because they do go through incredible pain.

Bullying is a huge problem and it needs to stop.  My article hasn't done anything to the situation at my school (which is nearing crisis point) but maybe it will help some of the people here on Teen Ink.  If it causes people to think and to talk about bullying openly, then I'll be happy.


on Jun. 15 2011 at 1:27 pm
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
35 articles 0 photos 782 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

That was really good!!!!  Although I don't think the teachers do enough to make it stop or they just never notice it :/  Great job keep writing!!!!!!! ;D

on Jun. 15 2011 at 9:14 am
Alex_Durham GOLD, Vineland, New Jersey
14 articles 1 photo 234 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

This was well written and you made this seem like a really big problem that we need to fix - which it is. Good job! The only complaint I have is that it felt like you went overboard with explaining how much pain the victim goes through... yes, I know, they suffer a lot. But it just felt a little repetitious. Maybe that's just me, though.

on Jun. 14 2011 at 11:16 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Thanks for the comment, IncorrectlyWired.  And thank you for saying I voiced my outcry well.  I just really hope people hear my outcry and the situation at my school gets better.  As someone who has been bullied (and is still bullied), I know what I'm talking about when I speak of the pain bullying causes.

I don't think it's redundant.  What I meant to say was that as the victim's overall pain increases, then minor jabs hurt more than they would have without that build-up. 


on Jun. 14 2011 at 10:54 pm
IncorrectlyWired GOLD, Milford, Virginia
16 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle

The line, "As the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper." is slightly redundant, but over all this is a very passionate opinion piece. I completely agree with everything you say, and I think you voiced your outcry well. People listen to people who speak well more often than following bad speakers.

on Jun. 14 2011 at 8:42 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Oh, whoops!  I see what you mean now; sorry.  And thank you for the criticism, I really appreciate it.

on Jun. 14 2011 at 8:41 pm
SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
20 articles 1 photo 373 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

I know If you look closely that's what I did but there is a quotation mark after it so it looks like it's just students instead of students'

on Jun. 14 2011 at 8:27 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Thank you for the comment, Shadowrider!  And no, 'student's' should not be changed to 'students' because I am talking about their behavior.  The apostrophe denotes that the behavior belongs to the students.  If anything, my mistake was to put the apostrophe before the s instead of after the s, because it is plural.

on Jun. 14 2011 at 8:16 pm
SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
20 articles 1 photo 373 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

This article is very true! You expressed your facts and points very well. Just a few grammatical errors: "student's" should be "students'" I think there are a couple others, but over all this is a very moving piece! Nice Job!