Too Much Homework, Too Little Time | Teen Ink

Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

By LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is:
Try to please everybody."
-Herbert Bayard Swope

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

on Feb. 25 at 11:46 pm
parush_gayboi, Waterford, Connecticut
How to make Butter Chicken – in 3 Simple Steps
Make Butter Chicken Marinade and marinate chicken for 3+ hours (overnight is best)

Cook chicken

Make sauce in the same skillet

The secret to the tender, flavour infused chicken is a spice infused yogurt marinade made with fresh ginger, garlic, lemon juice and spices. The spices in Butter Chicken are turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder and cumin.

Did you know….You don’t need copious amounts of butter for a great Butter Chicken!
The beautiful Butter Chicken Sauce mostly gets its richness from cream. While some restaurants take it over the top by stirring in a (very!) generous amount of butter into the sauce at the end, I find that it’s rich enough as it is. The Butter Chicken flavour and experience – but less oily than restaurant versions!

on Feb. 25 at 11:45 pm
parush_gayboi, Waterford, Connecticut
1 3/4 cups (435ml) milk

1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg

2 cups (300g) self-raising flour

1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar

1/4 tsp Coles Bicarbonate Soda

20g butter, melted

Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve

Mixed berries, to serve

Maple syrup, to serve

Select all ingredients
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
Step 1
Whisk milk and egg in a large jug.
Step 2
Place the flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Make a well in the centre. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and use the whisk to stir until a smooth batter forms. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 mins to rest.
Step 3
Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Brush with a little melted butter. Pour 1/4 cup (60ml) of the batter into the pan. Cook for 1-2 mins or until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake. Turn and cook for a further 1 min or until light golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter and melted butter to make 14 pancakes.
Step 4
Divide the pancakes among serving plates. Top with a dollop of cream or a scoop of ice cream. Top with berries. Drizzle with maple syrup.

on Feb. 25 at 11:43 pm
parush_gayboi, Waterford, Connecticut
I HATE HOMEWORK IT MAKES ME WANNA BE A HOMOPHOBIC

on Feb. 7 at 11:23 am
EpsteinIsland, Cripston, District Of Columbia
Interesting take. Skin me alive

agentzero said...
on Feb. 28 2020 at 3:33 am
agentzero, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I like doing only interesting tasks which I know will help me to get smarter. But it is 3-5% of all homework tasks. All other time doing homework is a waste of time for me and it is sad.

SiennaGiraffeJR23, Toronto, Ontario
I'm one of those kids with extracurricular activities and they usually go from 5 pm to around 8 or 9 pm and I have only an hour in between to either eat or do school work. I usually end up staying up until 11 pm and even at that time I still can't sleep easily.

poo said...
on Feb. 8 2019 at 8:15 am
poo, Chapil Hill, North Carolina
i hate school its so boring

b3nree said...
b3nree, Poop Land, Indiana
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

b3nree said...
b3nree, Poop Land, Indiana

poo said...
poo, Chapil Hill, North Carolina
and dosent help school

poo said...
poo, Chapil Hill, North Carolina
homework sucks

b3nree said...
b3nree, Poop Land, Indiana
I WANT TO PLAY FORTNITE EVERY DAY NO HOMWORK

b3nree said...
b3nree, Poop Land, Indiana
AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY NO HOMWORK SUCKERS SUCK MY POOP

nignog123 said...
nignog123, Melbourne, Other
i really appreciate you being my english exam topic. Thank u ily :)

on Feb. 7 2018 at 11:46 am
thefanfictionwritingsidekick02 GOLD, Holly Springs, North Carolina

"Just because something works doesn't mean it can't be improved."
-Shuri

My little sister is your grade and has the exact same situation... I hope it gets better for both of you.

Tinyperson BRONZE, Farmington, Connecticut

"There is nothing impossible to him(her) who will try." - Alexander the Great

I disagree. Most kids stay up that late doing homework because they spend the rest of their afternoon wasting time on TV and social media. I have many extracurriculars, from MathCounts, Science Olympiad, History Day, dance (competition level, not rec), violin (six hours of lessons outside of school every week plus practice), piano, and trumpet. I am committed to all of them and spend time on all of them. I go to bed every night at 9:30, latest, 10. That's because I can manage my time and finish all my homework between extracurriculars. Oh, and I have zero study halls. The issue isn't too much homework, it's time management.

kelep said...
on Mar. 7 2017 at 11:17 am
kelep,
So true... I can relate so much softskill.gunadarma.ac.id

nana said...
on Nov. 20 2016 at 9:46 am
fml. I'm doing this article for my exam and i'm supposed to find the thesis statement, arguments, opposing arguments and fallacies. I can't even figure out what's the thesis statement and my exam's in 2 days

rpayne55 said...
on Aug. 25 2016 at 1:11 am
I agree 100%. Teachers need to cut down a lot on homework I can understand maybe an hour of homework but when you get out of school and just want to relax after school it's kind of hard when you have a load of homework.I think the only time you should have a lot of homework is in college because that's understandable

I'm Tired said...
I totally agree! Teachers need to cut down on all the homework!! I usually sleep at 2-3am in the morning and wake up at 5:30am, and sometimes even pulling all-nighters. While I also agree homework is good, stress is definitely not good, and furthermore most of the things we learn through paperwork will not be relevant in future (are we going to look at one another, and start naming out all the biological terms? Are we going to look at a cup, and start forming a math or chemical equation?). If we had less homework, we could revise and study by ourselves, and also get enough sleep. Why can't teachers understand that.