Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

LovelyBlueRose said...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 7:43 am:
When I was fifth grade, I kept teasing this boy because he was ugly and his shoes were way to big for him. Then in sixth grade, I started thinking why he was like that. Maybe he was poor, or sad, or something. Now, I totally regret teasing him. I love this message!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 9:29 am :
Thank you!  I'm glad you had the insight to look at your actions and stop teasing him. :)

KayleeRae said...
So so true... I hope more will read this so they can read your insight. Bullying is a terrible thing :(

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm :
Thank you!  I hope more people do read it.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
Sadly, bullying affects so many , and nothing is done to stop it. This article really hit home , and you did a wonderful job with it. I hope that one day this article will bring more awareness to the issue at hand , and that something is done. It's a great piece , good job :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:18 pm :
Thank you!  I hope one day my article does change something.

Mystiecub said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:37 am:

I completely agree with everything you said in this article. Particularly because I'm a victim of severe bullying....thats besides the point though.

It's saddening how inconsiderate some people are, isnt it?...*sigh*

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:43 am :
It's not so much saddening as sickening.  I'm sorry what you're going through now.  Just remember that life won't always be like this; it gets better.

pinkowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:48 am :
mystiecub- i was bullied so bad in school too. don't let it get to you. we should talk sometime!

DaylightDarkness said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm:
Thank You.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm :
Huh?     

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 7:35 am:
Great job. Most people don't want to stand up against bullies because they don't want to become the target, but taking a stand can be just as simple as befriending the victim and helping to empower them. I especially like how you pulled everything together in the end. It's very good!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:38 pm :
Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

LadyJaneGrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm:
Everyone knows that bullying is wrong, but it takes a lot of courage to actually say it and call people out on it. Kudos to you. Glad you're using your writing skills for good and not evil! 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:51 pm :
Thank you!  But no, not everyone knows bullying is wrong.  That's why I hope my article opens some peoples' eyes.

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:58 am:
This is so well-written! Your article means so much and opens itself up to be taken more seriously simply because it has good grammar and spelling, is organized, and has a clear point. The statistics you included surprised me! I'm glad I read this piece. Keep doing what you're doing - this kind of intellegent writing is what makes a difference :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm :
Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)  I hope it does make a difference, but I won't get my hopes up too high.

KaileyZulimaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm:
This is good! Put those bullies in their place;)!!!!!!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 10:42 pm :
Thanks for commenting!  And I wish I could put those morons in their place.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 4:48 am:
I agree with you! Bullying stinks and you've tackled it well here. If people were listened to and accepted for being themselves, there would be no such thing as bullying.