Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

sympaticalsteve said...
Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:24 am:
I'm sorry to tell you guys that I'm one of those you refer to as a bully, but I changed my way. The fundamentally wrong point of view here, is htat it's the parents fault. My parents threathed me nice, and is well educated. The reason i bullied was for the fun of it, i thought that i was being the "comedian" in my class, but NO. I was being creul and irresponsible, childish and a duchebag. The sad part is that i didn't know it.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:52 am :
Fair enough and I'm so glad that you realized the error of your ways.  Your reason makes sense to you, but the bullying I saw in my particular school had a lot to do with the parents' attitudes.  It depends on the person and I'm happy you decided to add your voice to the conversation. :)

ShyWriting42 said...
Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:11 am:
Hi CarrieAnn13. As usual, I love your way with words. The piece has a natural flow, and the message is too true. It is amazing how many people will stand by and say, "It's none of my business!" Nice work, and keep up the great writing!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm :
Thanks for commenting on my article! :)  And yes, if only people would stand up rather than say it's none of their business.

CrystalAngelDol said...
May 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm:
great job! only if the bullies would adhere to this, personally i think its the parents fault, parents have to teach their children the fundamental values instead of cursing and beating their children, if parents can teach their children respect for each other and for themselves then i think we can actually get somewhere

CarrieAnn13 replied...
May 21, 2012 at 11:42 pm :
Yes, parents are a huge part of the problem.  But by the time you are a teen, you should be able to make decisions as to your morality on your own.  Sadly, not many teens are mature enough to do this.

MaxRide said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:23 pm:
i have personally received 3 death threats, have been choaked in class, and have been bullied for my whole life.  It's not so mad, and I hate to admit, you get used to it.  Thanks so much for wtiting this essay, I loved your facts and your style of writing!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm :
I'm sorry all those things have been done to you.  It was never that bad when I was bullied, but I just want you to know that things won't always be like this.  They'll get better, I promise. :)

pinkowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
thank you! and yes!!!!! <3 i'd love if you read!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 6:36 pm :
I must be an idiot, but I can't find it on your profile!  Do you have it under a different profile?  Or is it anonymous?

pinkowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm :
hmmm, im pretty sure you click my name "pinkowl" and it should pop up! LOL, and it's called "taking a stand"

Nov. 25, 2011 at 8:08 pm :

here you go! 

http://www.teenink.com/nonfiction/personal_experience/article/345915/TAKING-A-STAND/

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm :
That's what I did.  I swear it's not there.

Nov. 25, 2011 at 9:54 pm :
aw man! i was wondering what's up, and i realized that is IS under anonymous! boooo, i wonder how it got put like that, i must have accidently hit anonymous when i submitted it! No worries though, i will just re-submit it and make sure it isn't anonymous. i tried to post the link to it in this comment, but for some reason, the comment wont show! hahaha, i'm sorry! unless i could e-mail it to ya!

Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:39 am:
such a great essay. loved all your points. i was severely bullied in school, it is horrific! you picked a great thesis and had super-duper back up for it! <3

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 7:55 am :
Thanks for commenting! :)  And I'm sorry you were one of the people who was bullied.

Nov. 25, 2011 at 11:33 am :
you're welcome! i stood up to one my my bullies last year, t was my senior year of HS. i wrote an essay on it, it's in my work on here if you want to read it! it's called "taking a stand" it was probably the best moment in my life<3

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm :
Good for you!  And I'd love to read your essay, it just might take me a few days. :)

Nov. 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm :
hey there! my article is now on my page. you should check it out, it is a little long, but you can take your time! <3 it is under TAKING A STAND!

RumMonkey said...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 1:52 am:
This article is inspiring, and I think that's the best thing a writer should aim to be. Keep on writing, you're great!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 8:06 am :
Thanks for commenting!