Bullying in School

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

kgio said...
Mar. 25 at 7:08 pm:
Thank you so much for writng this article it is refreshing to read an article from a teen with a powerful opinion like yours it is really helping me with my essay on bullying 

Sarahlovsanime said...
Mar. 20 at 2:40 am:
Very true, but what should I do whenever I'm bullied in school. None of my friends are brave enough to stand up for me. My best friend used to help me whenever I was bullied before but now she moved away. What should I do?

Mia Panganiban said...
Mar. 14 at 8:54 am:
What if, The teachers are the one who  starts the bullying? The victims can't ask help to their teachers. And I observed that many students do not know what bullying Is.They just makes it Fun. And I observed also that the person who bullyed thier school friends just want to make they're friends and they do not know that the person that they bullyed was not happy in what they did.  

teenink.com said...
Mar. 5 at 11:01 am:
Dont loose hope.i love your newsletter.its motivating.

rebel14 said...
Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:24 am:
BULLYING NEEDS TO BE REDUCED AND TEACHERS SHOULD BE FIRED IF THEY ARE BULLYING STUDENTS

RAMEZ replied...
Apr. 27 at 7:42 am :
TRUE BULLYING IS NOT GOOD  IF A TEACHER IS BULLLIG STUDENTS THEY SHOULD BE FIRED 

JuniorMalaysia said...
Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:23 am:
What happen if my all my classmate including the teachers bullying the student? Who should I seek help to stop this bully case? I want to help my friend by asking higher authority to help but seem like the teachers cannot do anything about it. If you were me, what will you do?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:37 am :
If I were you I would probably try to talk to the principal.  If they are involved in the bullying situation, go to the next level up, right up to the superintendent of your school division.  Students and TEACHERS bullying a student is completely unacceptable and something needs to be done about it.

jegathis stupid dog said...
Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:52 am:
Nice essay

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am :
Thank you! :)

gloria said...
thank u very much im doing an assay about bullying u help me alot again thank u

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am :
Glad I could help. :)

Anon said...
Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm:
Bullying is a real horrid thing and I feel very sorry for anyone who is being bullied, I myself was ne bullied my the peoson who is now my one of my best friends.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:36 am :
Thank you for sharing your story.

DawnieRae said...
Jul. 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm:
I don't go to public school, so I don't see bullying everyday. But bullying isn't just in school, its everywhere. Thatnk you for writing this Carrie Ann!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:00 am :
Very true!  However, I believe that for most school-aged children and teenagers, they get their first sample of bullying in school.  But thank you for bringing that point up.

DawnieRae replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:38 am :
Your welcome, I love all your work!

JohnJames said...
Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:42 am:
dont forget the unintentional bullying...pranks can actually really hurt someone as well even if it was just intended for a good laugh...  

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:00 am :
So true.  You do have to be careful with pranks because they can be taken the wrong way even if it was meant in good fun.  The best policy is not to pull pranks except on really good friends.  Even then, you have to ask yourself: How would I feel if my friend did this to me?

Marlina said...
May 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm:
that is so true i know alot of bully's in school i try to stop them but they just take it as a joke