What Adults Don't Understand | Teen Ink

What Adults Don't Understand

My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

maza.love GOLD said...
on Mar. 7 2009 at 6:29 am
maza.love GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada
Interesting idea. I'm 15, and never been in love. I don't think that people just fall in love at a certain time. However, i do agree that many adults need to cool it sometimes when speaking about young people and our ideas. Keep up your opinions, but make sure you've got some facts to back them up.

Britishgal said...
I totally agree with you. Although I am not positive about the thirteen thing, i agree that adults think they have some wisdom that allows them to love and not teenagers. I infact think it is more likely to be the other way around. When you are a teenager i think you are going to have the truest type of love there is, because it is more likely to be 'innocent' and you dont have to worry about the 'adult things' they keep going on about - i didnt put that very well but i hope you know what i mean.

Missouri GOLD said...
Missouri GOLD, Bon Aqua, Tennessee
I really agree with your opinion. My mother was reading an ticl in a BRIO mag and she thought that it was silly that teens could actually fall in love. I just choose to keep my own opinions or post them here. Great work!

artofthedeath PLATINUM, Dothan, Alabama
Okay, deary. I'm not going to argue with you. No, but love... it's something we can't define or shape into a specfic form. While at the age of 13 you can't love like an adult, you can love at a level that is not as real as well, adult love. We won't know what the difference is though until we grow up and experience this "greater" love ourselves.