What Adults Don't Understand | Teen Ink

What Adults Don't Understand

February 15, 2009
By Anonymous

My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 127 comments.


EmeleeChan<3 said...
on May. 17 2010 at 5:37 pm
That is so true. Some experienced it and some haven't. I may seem a little dumb right? to some and to those. I'm actually 11 and a half, and am totally in love. and thats true. I lose my breath, my heart stops, and I feel like I am going to faint. and our love may seem weird. like very few have experienced. Me and my boyfriend have always loved eachother since 3rd grade, but never noticed/cared until now :)

on May. 13 2010 at 11:07 pm
Lollipop2012 SILVER, Las Veags, Nevada
5 articles 0 photos 27 comments
So im 16 and i agree that adults are wrong when they say we dont know what love is. However, i disagree that you can be "in love" that young. You may love who your with, but your probabaly not "in love' because i think it take time to fully understand what that means. :) but this is just my opinion, and i'm sure most of you will disagree, but remember im on your side because....i love my boyfriend!!!!!

on Apr. 23 2010 at 6:21 am
i fell in love with my soul mate when i was 12. were 18 now. and planning to get married when we finish grad. we also had sex at 12 and were eachothers first. i love him. and if he were to die. i would die to be with him. so take that people that dont beleive in love at a young age! thats mostly cause u were never in love at that age.

2308jmgl said...
on Mar. 30 2010 at 9:44 pm
2308jmgl, Houston, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm scared b/c I don't want anyone else to have your heart. I don't want anyone else to kiss your lips. I don't want anyone else to be in your arms. I don't want anyone else to be the one you love. I'm scared b/c I don't want anyone to take my place.

I think you are absolutely right. You can be love at any age. You may not understand it, but it's there. That's what adults don't realize. Just because we are not always mature, and we don't always make the right decisions, we can still fall in love with someone. Even if we don't realize it until later on.

on Mar. 8 2010 at 1:01 pm
I think you are right. You can be in love with someone. I love him to death but he hurt me really bad he flirted with my mom! I was mad but I love him so much I don't know if I should get back with him or love him from a far.... He says hes sorry should I believe it and forgive him?

xo.forever said...
on Feb. 20 2010 at 7:26 pm
xo.forever, Toronto, Other
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
And Tomorrow by Tupac

Today is filled with anger, fueled with hidden hate.
Scared of being outkast, afraid of common fate.
Today is build on tragedies which no one want's to face.
Nightmares to humanity and morally disgraced.
Tonight is filled with Rage, violence in the air.
Children bred with ruthlessness cause no one at home cares.
Tonight I lay my head down but the pressure never stops,
knowing that my sanity content when I'm droped.
But tomorrow I see change, a chance to build a new,
build on spirit intent of heart and ideas based on truth.
Tomorrow I wake with second wind and strong because of pride.
I know I fought with all my heart to keep the dream alive.

yeah, 13 is def. the youngest age.

i still love th same person

on Feb. 14 2010 at 1:10 pm
Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana
17 articles 3 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth
--------
The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Best. Simile. Ever. HAHA.

on Feb. 1 2010 at 7:08 am
Teextormentr GOLD, Congers, New York
10 articles 6 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If your heart was broken then you'd be dead."

I agree. I fell in love at 13. But, he ways/ is 17. We had been dating for a year. He just broke up with me last week. He "wasn't happy." People can say that love doesn't exist when you're a teenager. But, I will argue that it's possible. It's an amazing feeling; like you're on an endless cloud. I'm waiting for him. I'll wait as long as I have to. I'm young,yes. And, I've had three guys come after me this past week. But, I'm waiting for him. He's the one. That sounds like love,doesn't it?

on Jan. 23 2010 at 10:27 pm
creativemind BRONZE, A City, Other
2 articles 2 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"

i am in love. i hate when they just dont get it. so, i agree with you

on Jan. 21 2010 at 12:28 am
BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge PLATINUM, Gardena, California
32 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be." ~ grandma moses

I am going through a situation where my parents don't believe in young love, and is forcing me apart from my relationship. I believed in every ounce of love we had, and now i'm just heartbroken b/c i had to let him go to please my parents...

on Dec. 10 2009 at 3:27 pm
WriterA.M. PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
40 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Ignore corruption and achieve perfection"- me

I'm 18 and have never been in love. Wow that's terrible.

KellyR GOLD said...
on Dec. 4 2009 at 8:43 pm
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

Love is like an orgasim. Some people expierence them some don't. Even some adults haven't expierenced it, and some 13 year olds have. It just depends on you.

on Nov. 18 2009 at 1:47 pm
nightbabe SILVER, Wayne, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Love is such a complicated subject. The way one can love and the meaning of love is as ever changing as the path called life. Thirteen may hold the purest love, but that does not mean it can't exist. It means there is much more to learn. Adults also need to remember that, although they have many life experiences, there are so many more to go. Because the journey constantly changes, people constantly change. The reason one loves, what and who one loves, and why one loves is altered. It is imperative for people to not forget what love was like at thirteen, and for thirteen year olds to keep an open mind to change.

So here I am rambling, trying to make this short. What I am trying to say is that your mother is neither right nor wrong. Just as with anything good life. There are always dangers and consequences to follow behind. We must constantly experiment explore ourselves and learn who we are before we can ever completely understand love. Adults, though they may say they do, never completely understand love. The only time when the journey is complete and we know exactly who we are is before we die. Perhaps that's when the true meaning of love becomes clear. For now everyone just needs to keep an open mind and not forget places they left behind on this journey and the ones we still have yet to visit. Here's my advice. it is only your choice to use it. Love and be loved with an open mind and open heart. Learn who you are, and only change with your own path, not for any other.

driversgurl said...
on Nov. 18 2009 at 9:41 am
i think that 13 year olds can experience love because i did. its not impossible. i know that bc i was like best friends with someone who i knew i could possibly love and he died and i did not get to tell him how i feel and i get to regret that now

on Nov. 16 2009 at 4:02 pm
CaseyLeigh PLATINUM, Moraga, California
31 articles 6 photos 137 comments

Favorite Quote:
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

While I don't necessarily think that all 13 year olds have been in love, I do think that it is possible to fall in love at a young age--personally I fell in love for the first time at 14.

on Nov. 8 2009 at 4:44 pm
BethBeth BRONZE, Salter Path, North Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We can commit the perfect crime, I'll steal your heart and you can steal mine."

i deffiantely agree i meet my sweetheart when i was 13 :)

bRonwYn_e GOLD said...
on Oct. 7 2009 at 5:48 pm
bRonwYn_e GOLD, Bon Aqua, Tennessee
19 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Denial is expected in the face of puuure eeevil.

yeah we can love, but when you say adult love, do you mean a mature love? i totally realize that while we are children, we will love like children. what i want to know is what you think the differences are between child-like love and mature love? i know there are many :)

Chloe S. said...
on Oct. 4 2009 at 10:30 am
Once upon a time, I would have agreed with your mother. But once you fall, you fall. Sometimes, it just happens. And sometimes, it leaves you infatuated and brokenhearted. . .

bRonwYn_e GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2009 at 1:06 pm
bRonwYn_e GOLD, Bon Aqua, Tennessee
19 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Denial is expected in the face of puuure eeevil.

Wellll hi author here! I want to thank everyone for commenting. Like I wrote in the article above, people have given some very different opinions about my idea that you don't have to be grown up to love. Actually I think that teen's love is the most beautiful because it's innocent. or it used to be anyway, before ideas became planted in our heads that we have to do this or that when you are "going out." But i also believe that there is a limit on when it is appropreate to "love." You can love any time you want, but when you're still in grade school, you don't need to act on these feelings. It just causes conflict and pain. Trust me there is waaaay enough time for pain later down the road.

IRBFGW DIAMOND said...
on Mar. 21 2009 at 7:31 pm
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio
53 articles 1 photo 223 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

Yeah, I don't see anywhere in the constitutuion that only adults are allowed to be in love. I hate it when adults say "You can't, your too young, you don't understand" adults need to understand that they are not the only people in this world. Not all of them, just some of them.