What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

bRonwYn_e said...
hey, author here...when i wrote this so very long ago, i did not realize that this simple paragraph would get so much attention. thanks to all who commented!

blippi replied...
I think that truly being able to love someone has a lot to do with maturity. I'm not saying that teens can't love, but they shouldn't fall in love until they are older because it entails a lot of emotional responsibility that most are not ready for. the thing is, as people get older they grow change....the person you fell in love with when you were sixteen could be a completely different person 5 years from now. The teen years are years for growing and having fun, not getting your hear... (more »)

TrinityCreed said...
Well, not to set a flame but we as teens and kids dont have a concept on love. We don't; but one thing is for sure: your mother shouldn't have checked on your stuff like that. Bad enough my dad checks on my email and some other stuff. I feel that parents should butt out of our 'personal space.' If we as kids respect our parents ,how is it that we can't be respected back? So in basic terms I agree with you partially.

DeathLover replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 11:05 am
Well in my belief people know the difference between actual love and just puppy love. You can feel it in your soul.

SamiLynn said...
You are never too young to love <3 and just because some people fall in love faster, it doesn't mean their love is any less genuine.

C.D.Vitta said...
I'm guessing that perhaps some consider it love, others a crush. Personally I had a crush from 9 to 14, and I've seen others who have been in love. I'm ok with that. However, when teens take it TOO seriously (movie-style) it bughs me a bit.

frogsof2015 said...
Extremely true. There is no age limit on love, it's something that just happens. There's no explaining it. So why is there a minimum age limit on love? It's stupid.

liv.laf.love13 said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 11:52 am
i agree!!!!!

CheyGurl said...
This is very true... i hate when people tell me you odnt know what love is cause im 14 age has nothing to do with it... age is just a number and thats it.

MWolf9 replied...
I completely agree. If you truely fall for a person, it matters if he treats you with the proper respect that you deserve.

FluteChick said...
I'm 17 and haven't yet felt that I've found THE ONE. Sure, I've dated/liked a few guys, but I soon realize I'm not quite ready for a relationship that deep. I mean, I have a friend that's 14 and SHE thought she was in love with this guy but once she got to know him, she realized she didn't really know who he was and that it wasn't really love. She realized that you can't REALLY LOVE at that age. And I agree. It's best to wait, rather than be hung up on a guy. If I sound bitter, it's not b... (more »)

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 12:13 am

No...its not fun to hurt FluteChick. Not at all. Ironically however, the more times you have been hurt, the happier you will be when you find that special person. I speak from experience.=)

Dont give up!

Sliva23 said...
This is soo true.....adults dont understand at all....maybe they've forgot how it was like for them with they were kids but they should try and see that love can be found anywhere to anyone and its really stupid that they have forgot the teenage love is really something magical

.Forever.and.Always. said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:25 am
I whole heartedly agree with you. I myself know what it is, and I experience it every day... I have to say, however, that at 13 i had not felt that strong emotion. Yes, everyone knows what love is, what it feels like... but once you've found THE ONE, it's totally different...  at 13 you don't choose your life partner, but sure I agree that the love is there. The reason parents dont think you know, is because they a) can't fathom the thought b) they are watching their child grow up. all pare... (more »)

Carolyn Jo S. said...
Young love is so true. Im 13 now and I have been in love before.

Liz891 said...
Ok I think that kids do feel some kind of love. It's more than a crush, but it's not exactly true love. We don't feel the same way adults do, but I do believe that we experience some kind of love.

ArtGirl101 said...

Uh, not to be too critical, but you're wrong. NO WAY can 13 year olds love! Not like an adult! Not like my parents! Or grandparents! Or aunts! Uncles! Cousins! No, you can NOT feel true love, the love that is in no way describable, when you are 13.

13 is just a number. You can's say that someone can suddenly fall in TRUE love on their birthday. Age really doesn't matter in that way.

Carolyn Jo S. replied...
right 13 is "just a number" and love can find you at any age. maybe i agree with not being able to love like adults but you can have really deep feelings for someone that could possilbly turn into love.

MWolf9 replied...
I agree with the second post completely.

AshyBaby replied...
I just have to say that I dissagree with you both. You can love at any age. You can give your entire heart to someone. It may be scary but it's true. My first love was when i was twelve. I still love him even though he's just my friend he's my most loyal companion and most trusted confidant.

kandyraye said...
May 29, 2010 at 4:58 am
So step back for a minute and think about what you are saying. Have you ever thought that maybe "Adults" don't agree with the whole in love thing at your age? Myabe they just know what their relationships turned out like. "Adults" had the same emotions as you do now... just they know the out come of it all.