What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

FluteChick said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm:
I'm 17 and haven't yet felt that I've found THE ONE. Sure, I've dated/liked a few guys, but I soon realize I'm not quite ready for a relationship that deep. I mean, I have a friend that's 14 and SHE thought she was in love with this guy but once she got to know him, she realized she didn't really know who he was and that it wasn't really love. She realized that you can't REALLY LOVE at that age. And I agree. It's best to wait, rather than be hung up on a guy. If I sound bitter, it's not b... (more »)

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 12:13 am :

No...its not fun to hurt FluteChick. Not at all. Ironically however, the more times you have been hurt, the happier you will be when you find that special person. I speak from experience.=)

Dont give up!

Sliva23 said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 9:47 pm:
This is soo true.....adults dont understand at all....maybe they've forgot how it was like for them with they were kids but they should try and see that love can be found anywhere to anyone and its really stupid that they have forgot the teenage love is really something magical

.Forever.and.Always. said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:25 am:
I whole heartedly agree with you. I myself know what it is, and I experience it every day... I have to say, however, that at 13 i had not felt that strong emotion. Yes, everyone knows what love is, what it feels like... but once you've found THE ONE, it's totally different...  at 13 you don't choose your life partner, but sure I agree that the love is there. The reason parents dont think you know, is because they a) can't fathom the thought b) they are watching their child grow up. all pare... (more »)

Carolyn Jo S. said...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm:
Young love is so true. Im 13 now and I have been in love before.

Liz891 said...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:21 pm:
Ok I think that kids do feel some kind of love. It's more than a crush, but it's not exactly true love. We don't feel the same way adults do, but I do believe that we experience some kind of love.

ArtGirl101 said...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:30 pm:

Uh, not to be too critical, but you're wrong. NO WAY can 13 year olds love! Not like an adult! Not like my parents! Or grandparents! Or aunts! Uncles! Cousins! No, you can NOT feel true love, the love that is in no way describable, when you are 13.

13 is just a number. You can's say that someone can suddenly fall in TRUE love on their birthday. Age really doesn't matter in that way.

Carolyn Jo S. replied...
Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm :
right 13 is "just a number" and love can find you at any age. maybe i agree with not being able to love like adults but you can have really deep feelings for someone that could possilbly turn into love.

MWolf9 replied...
Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm :
I agree with the second post completely.

AshyBaby replied...
Feb. 26, 2011 at 10:08 pm :
I just have to say that I dissagree with you both. You can love at any age. You can give your entire heart to someone. It may be scary but it's true. My first love was when i was twelve. I still love him even though he's just my friend he's my most loyal companion and most trusted confidant.

kandyraye said...
May 29, 2010 at 4:58 am:
So step back for a minute and think about what you are saying. Have you ever thought that maybe "Adults" don't agree with the whole in love thing at your age? Myabe they just know what their relationships turned out like. "Adults" had the same emotions as you do now... just they know the out come of it all.

EmeleeChan<3 said...
May 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm:
That is so true. Some experienced it and some haven't. I may seem a little dumb right? to some and to those. I'm actually 11 and a half, and am totally in love. and thats true. I lose my breath, my heart stops, and I feel like I am going to faint. and our love may seem weird. like very few have experienced. Me and my boyfriend have always loved eachother since 3rd grade, but never noticed/cared until now :)

Lollipop said...
May 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm:
So im 16 and i agree that adults are wrong when they say we dont know what love is. However, i disagree that you can be "in love" that young. You may love who your with, but your probabaly not "in love' because i think it take time to fully understand what that means. :) but this is just my opinion, and i'm sure most of you will disagree, but remember im on your side because....i love my boyfriend!!!!!

Already in love said...
Apr. 23, 2010 at 6:21 am:
i fell in love with my soul mate when i was 12. were 18 now. and planning to get married when we finish grad. we also had sex at 12 and were eachothers first. i love him. and if he were to die. i would die to be with him. so take that people that dont beleive in love at a young age! thats mostly cause u were never in love at that age.

2308jmgl said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 9:44 pm:
I think you are absolutely right. You can be love at any age. You may not understand it, but it's there. That's what adults don't realize. Just because we are not always mature, and we don't always make the right decisions, we can still fall in love with someone. Even if we don't realize it until later on.

darkshadow247 said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm:
I think you are right. You can be in love with someone. I love him to death but he hurt me really bad he flirted with my mom! I was mad but I love him so much I don't know if I should get back with him or love him from a far.... He says hes sorry should I believe it and forgive him?

xo.forever said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm:
yeah, 13 is def. the youngest age.
i still love th same person

Teextormentr said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 7:08 am:
I agree. I fell in love at 13. But, he ways/ is 17. We had been dating for a year. He just broke up with me last week. He "wasn't happy." People can say that love doesn't exist when you're a teenager. But, I will argue that it's possible. It's an amazing feeling; like you're on an endless cloud. I'm waiting for him. I'll wait as long as I have to. I'm young,yes. And, I've had three guys come after me this past week. But, I'm waitin... (more »)

creativemind said...
i am in love. i hate when they just dont get it. so, i agree with you

BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 12:28 am:
I am going through a situation where my parents don't believe in young love, and is forcing me apart from my relationship. I believed in every ounce of love we had, and now i'm just heartbroken b/c i had to let him go to please my parents...

WriterA.M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm 18 and have never been in love. Wow that's terrible.