What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

AshyBaby said...
Feb. 26, 2011 at 9:58 pm:
We do love. Adults may not believe it because we fall hard, and we fall fast and we don't really know how to understand the way we feel some of the time. And we don't always know how to maintain a relationship well. When we get hurt they may say its because we are "over emotional teenagers" but its because we loved and lost. And don't people say that it's better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all? <3

NeicyAmor replied...
Apr. 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm :
beautiful point

Zeeba13 said...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm:
There are a bunch of different kinds of love. Love changes as we change. :)

heartgirl22 said...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 7:50 am:
We do fall in love. Sometimes we just don't realize how far or how hard we are falling. As for me I have had my first love this year at the age of 13, but as much as I say that I regret it all, consitering that he was my first kiss all the way to my first slow dance, I know deep in my heart that I will never regret a single second with him. <3 love it!

KayKay:-) said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm:
We do fall in love. Obviously. Parents grew up, like, 5000 gazillion bagillion years ago, and dating was sorta different. It was slower. No we just move ahead faster and don't wait 5 years to get married after we get engaged. Just that in teenage years you aren't really  emotionally ready for exactly that - marriage. Of course we fall in love, we just do it faster.

KyleGarbacz said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm:
Yes, I believe that teens DO in fact fall in love. For them love is the feeling that they have someone there that will understand them and like the REAL person that they are on the inside. Us teenager want the feeling of being wanted and loved for who they are. NOT just because they are a son, daughter, cousin, neice or any of that. They WANT to have people there for them because that person WANTS to be there. Teens fall in love becaus... (more »)

heavenleimonkey said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 4:11 pm:
I understand some parents don't think us teens can fall in love. But there are the parents like mine who do. But i do have to argue to the point that i am sixteen years old and have no clue what love "is" and doubt i will find out soon. I find it ridiculous how  some teens i know that are in same age are "in love" with someone new every single week! i dont care for teen relationships!

musicprincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm:
I do believe that teenagers love. Sometimes it seems that parents forget their teenage years. Love does not have an age requirement. We simply love differently than they do.

forevergirl8080 replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm :
First of all, let me say, I really wish TeenInk had a "like" button for comments because there are so many comments on here that I wish I could like. And Teenagers CAN be in love... love is for all ages.

musicprincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm :
It just kill me that they dont think we do love. It is love, its just a learning experience for us. They dont get that i suppose.

OpenHeart13 said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm:
teenagers are just as capable as love as any adult. yeah there is drama but that not all there is. everyone on the entire planet is capable of love. yeah i said everyone and it doesnt matter who yu are or how old yu are because everyone finds someone at a different age. the only reason adults would probably say teenagers cant love is because that person either hasnt had luck with love or they are too old to remember what it was like when they were a teenager.

Lucky707 said...
I think ur mom was right highschool is pure drama nothing real and at first u dont love the person ur with u just like the thought of the person so its true ur to chilish at a young age to understand wat love is especialy from what u wrote.

HaleyBells replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 10:57 am :
I am sorry, but you are going to tell teenagers that they are immature? Yes. A good portion of teenagers are immature, but you can't say that every person who is under the age of 18 is immature and knows nothing of life. And this person is expressing an opinion. I don't find that childish at all. Being able to express your feelings is actually more mature than keeping them to yourself. And yes a good portion of people never fall in love in highschool, correction a good portion of people never fi... (more »)

Averyactor said...
Do this: Picture yourself with the person you're in love with. I mean picture yourself living with them. Picture yourself spending hours and hours in a row together. For years and years. Wouldn't you run out of things to talk about? Even if you each have an opinion and lots to say about every topic imaginable, things will eventually get boring, in my opinion. I don't want to take a definite stance, but I think the reason why "teens can't fall in love" is that the older you are, the less time you... (more »)

Lysa3223love replied...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm :
I disagree completely. I can promise you i am with the man i love and will love for the rest of my life. I will spend ever day with him and i could never get tierd of hearing his voice. We can talk about everthing and anything with eachother. I love him more than anything and i would give anything for him. I can picture ever second of our future together happy sad angry all of it. He will be by my side forever he made that promise to me and i made the same to him. I'm 13 and have a promise ... (more »)

Averyactor replied...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm :
Well best wishes to you but all I'm saying is that things change. I made and was made the same promise, and then THINGS CHANGED.

owl-girl replied...
Jan. 19, 2012 at 9:26 pm :
Don't rain on the joy! just because things went wrong for you (and me) does not mean that the same things will happen to Lysa. good luck to you both

Keli S. said...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 12:13 am:

this is true. im 14 and i just broke up with my first love. we were together for a little over a year and started dating when i was 12. but knew i was in love with him before a little after i turned 13. my sister was in love when she was 13 to. and mom mom was to.

in my opinion young people can fall in love at a young age even if it doesnt last forever. not all good things do.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm :
why do you want to fall in love if it doesn't last?  then you end up giving only part of your heart to Mr. Right.

Keli123 replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm :

i never really thought of it as giving only part of my heart to Mr. Right. this is because he's been kicked out of my heart. i look at him now and feel nothing. [this may be due to various circumstances of that relationship that i wont get into now because thats very off topic, but i gess i wont be sure].

anyway in my opinion we cant always decide if we fall in love or not. we cant always help what we feel. he was also my first love so i didnt really know how hard it would be after t... (more »)

Jan. 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm :
 i still disagree and think that you can help it.  plus when you're younger, trust me, when i was 14, i thought like you did, it's not the same thing as when older teen feel when they, "fall in love".  i'm glad you're ready to wait.  :)