What Adults Don't Understand

By , Bon Aqua, TN
My mom was reading one of the poems of this magazine the other day, and she did something that really irked me. She was reading a poem from the February issue, Nothing Like. When she was finnished reading, she let out a 'humph', like she didn't actually belive that "kids" like us could know what love is yet. Like love is only for responsible adults. Well let me say something right here and right now: By the time you are thirteen, you have probably been in love. There I said it. Now people can argue about it.

Sky_Sprinkles24This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 27 at 10:06 am
Parents just don't understand.

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 7:06 pm
You know it's over when you start agreeing with the parents: but your mother is correct. Teenagers don't have the maturity to understand the kind of commitment that comes with "true love" or whatever wishy-washy romantic term you want to use for it. Kids are selfish and posses very short attention spams, the next shiny new thing comes along, and they're in love all over again. 

CastAway replied...
Dec. 14 at 12:46 pm
I agree and disagree with this statement. For one, yes many people are like this. I know a bunch of girls my age and guys that play with eachothers hearts, and claim to know what love it. But here were I dissagree. Not all teens are like this. Most, but not all. Love can come at anytime, any moment, any place, as humans its not our job to say if someone understands love or dosent, because love comes when it chooses. 

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 14 at 6:33 pm
Regardless of how in love with someone you are, it's simply a scientific fact that teenagers (13-19) do not have brains that are developed enough to a) make fully informed decisions, b) make long term emotional committments, and c) maintain healthy emotional/romantic relationships.   This is reflected in all marriage statistics, brain development studies, and basially any and all info you can find on the matter.

Can teenagers be in love? Sure, but so can children and we... (more »)

CastAway replied...
Dec. 15 at 3:47 pm
Love is not based on statistics. We can agree to disagree. 

beoptimistic said...
this is perfect. preach it

hayliebean said...
Sept. 17, 2013 at 10:45 am
I think that everyone is different.  Some people have a hard time loving or feeling love, while others may love too easily.  So, no I don't think that everyone who is thirteen has been in love, but some probably have.  I am one of those people who tends to love too easily.

xo_zozo said...
While I agree with this for the most part, I also think that it's not entirely true.   
It is totally unfair for someone (adult or otherwise) to tell anyone else (any age) that they've never been in love, and/or are too young to have been in love, it is true that as you get older, being in love means something different.   
WHile it is entirely possible, and even probable that almost everyone has been in love by the time they are thirteen, being in love wh... (more »)

dragonsandthree said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:39 am
I agree with you.

lizzi_420 said...
you are so right

CRAZYxBUNNI said...
Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:12 am
I agree with you.

CRAZYxBUNNI said...
Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:09 am
The thing is all adult were our age once and fell in love at a young age. So I personally think that they shouldn't yap at us about it. I believe that the mass majoity of today's youth is not going to end up like Romeo and Juliet.

Marcie said...
Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:28 am
The ability to love does not have an age:) its true that teenagers arent usually in love but it can happne!

bennyB said...
I think adults think the way they do is becasue they are kind of right. I mean teens are one day with a person and next week with an other, so i think that they could be right, partially

INHAILED replied...
I agree. I'm not saying there isn't teen love, but I believe most teen/high school relationships don't share mutual love. eyes-on-fire made a good point as well.

eyes-on-fire said...

I believe that teenagers do fall in love... we just have more trouble identifying love as compared to lust, and thus adults think we are dumb kids who don't know what love is.

Dumbledore said "Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth", and he's awesome. And old.

yaythisisavailableThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
you're my new role model :)

UnwantedNinja replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 2:26 am
Sweet qoute lol !!!

owl-girl replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 11:28 am
Thanks! check out my work?

UnwantedNinja replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 9:48 am
will do :)