My Favorite Shirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Love. It’s a simple but overused word. I love you. I love this song! I absolutely loved that movie! The word doesn’t mean much anymore, not to most. Some people scoff at it. We throw it around like a used shirt, wearing it because it’s comfortable, safe, and secure, but never truly understanding why we have it. We lend it out, forget about it, and years later, we think, “Hey, I really liked that shirt.”

But do we care? No. It’s probably gone now, thrown away because of a rip or sold for $3 at a garage sale. We forget; it doesn’t matter after that.

Then we see the world fall apart. From the safety of our living rooms we watch amateur video on the news or Internet, and sometimes we feel so helpless and alone we’re not sure what to do. We cry for the inhumanity, scream for the injustice, and wonder why the world is this way. We think we can change the world; we know we want to help those who need it most … then we remember that T-shirt we threw out years ago.

We want it back; we fight and scramble for it. We go out and buy new shirts, try them on, but none seems to fit. We’ve lost it – we’ve lost love. We are unnerved for a bit; we sit alone and beat ourselves up for letting it go. Then we just we shrug it off. We say, “I’ll do it later” or “I’m too busy.” I’m guilty of it too: “I don’t have the right resources” or “I’m too young” or “No one will care.” And it seems as if no one does. With high school students only bent on the next party or who’s dating whom, you wonder if, in the end, their shirts were ever worn.

Is my generation going to save the world? We try, a small group of us, but our shirts are faded among the bright colors of greed and the everyday and the wanting. We are pushed into the background. We try to push our way through the crowds, and we truly wonder: where has the love gone?

I don’t want my love to fade; though my shirt is tattered and worn, I wear it daily. I am honest and open, and when I say that simple, dead, four-letter word, I mean it. I know I’ve made mistakes with it in the past and I almost threw my shirt away; I carry it carefully now. It’s close to my heart, where it’s meant to be. I do lend it out every once in a while – I let those who need it try it on and feel the safety that I feel. I leave them pieces when I go, but my shirt never seems to tear. It stays just as simple as it ever was.

When the time comes, I will stand alone in this world and stare into the eyes of those with the shirts of greed and want and lust, and I will know that even though mine is not the most beautiful shirt in the crowd, it’s among the best.

bennyB said...
I am tired of all of these helpless love piecess and there is onely one thinhg to say  god is love

Lenah replied...
i agree that god is love but i also agree that this piece is beautiful. posted twice since i like it so much

fashionluvr16 said...
ik u r soo rite, i use love everyday!! Wheter it is " i luved that moive" or "i luved that book...... NOT!" i say stuff like tht alllll the time!!! AWESOME PEICE!!!!

Lifetime said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:15 am
What if your washing your shirt? but it never seems to get clean from that person you lent it to last?

SarahBelle replied...
The "stains" of lost loves, or crushes, or others in our life will always heal. I know it probably won't matter to you that I'm saying this, but trust me. Trust that I've lost everything and everyone, and almost my life, but recovered and have now found peace. Stay strong, and bless you.

Lenah replied...
but even if the stains don't come out i hope you always learn from them. those stains will always hurt to think of but it gets easier over time, and if you have people to help you it fades the stains.

WindDancer said...

Then we see the world fall apart. From the safety of our living rooms we watch amateur video on the news or Internet, and sometimes we feel so helpless and alone we’re not sure what to do. We cry for the inhumanity, scream for the injustice, and wonder why the world is this way. We think we can change the world; we know we want to help those who need it most … then we remember that T-shirt we threw out years ago."

This article is phenomenal. Never, ever ... (more »)

nutmeg123 said...
wow!!!  you are SO right! i literally say i loved something practically every day. usually its about a book, or a movie, or food, but its so casual and nonchalant that no one really pays attention. Anyway, how old are you tat your writing such awesome stuff?! i wish i could write as great s that.

cldierkhising said...
you have that judgement on teenage love that kinda diminishes your piece for me.. but otherwise i do truly appreciate this piece. it was well thought out and basically great.

Mr. Nerdles replied...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 9:42 am
I'm not sure what you mean by "teen love"?  Will you explain more?  I didn't feel like Kim was nonchalant about teen emotions, but just about everyones' overuse of "love."

squalur996 said...
i absolutly loved this!! I try creating good analogies but they always seem so so.  great job on yours!

eehearn2011 said...
Nov. 7, 2010 at 11:59 am
loved this piece of work! :)

Im50tyson said...
I understand and can relate to this.

Kkrazy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. that was amazing, inspirational, and so true! i love this piece, and i think its my favorite so far on this site. keep up the good work.

rose said...
I think this is true. . nowadays everyone wants to be loved so they give their love to easy. .and want the same amount back. .and when they lose it they want it back but know its to late

thoughtsinmyhead said...
This was amazing!! I completley agree. People give out there love to easily these days then have nothing to give to "the one." I believe that with every person you say you love, a piece of your heart goes with them. I think we need to give out our love to the ones who we truly mean it to and people we honestly deeply care about. I loved this article. good job!

Arye A. said...
Completely amazing article! Your insights are brilliant, and I have to say that I really admire your writing style. Awesome work!

Spazzmine said...
I seriously loved this and understood it completely :) Nice job :D

rachelle said...
very good work :) i really enjoi reading this story.

WiseChild said...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 7:03 am

I absolutely agree with you. i am probably what they'd call a 'goody two shoes' or a 'sissy' or a 'wimp' or a couple of otherr names i would never repeat. but you know, i've tried being one of the 'bad' girls. i've worn their bright colored t-shirts to find out what made them shine so much. and i realized it was all on the outside. without anyhting to fill a person, what's the use of a great looking shirt?

so i keep on beliving in a love that never dies, in a truth that never fails, in... (more »)

numeg123 replied...
wooooow! deep, but cool and inspiring. i like it :).