Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

esakeke said...
on Mar. 5 2013 at 2:13 pm
i agree with you beacuse that happned to me with my boyfrends i really didnt understand until i met my curent partner and father of my child. we really dont understand love until it finally hits us and it takes a bit of tries to figure it out

esakeke said...
on Mar. 5 2013 at 2:10 pm
I personally think there is no age in love i have been with my boyfriend since i was 15 and my boyfriend was 14 we were only two months differnce of age. At the age of 17 which was last years we had our first child. now we live together and love each other more and more since the day we met. we have been together for almost four years and we still love eachother. But i believe theres not age in love. love is love no matter how old you are.

on Feb. 25 2013 at 9:59 am
ArkhamAvarice BRONZE, Bardstown, Kentucky

“We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be.”
― May Sarton
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

I believe in love at this age as well. I'm only 16 but have felt true love. I know what it feels like to put someone else's happiness and well-being before your own. :)

on Feb. 24 2013 at 9:09 pm
Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia

Life is a stage, get on it and perform your best act.

i strongly believe teenage love exists. anybody can love, no matter what their age is.

LeAnn1996 said...
on Feb. 13 2013 at 8:47 am
LeAnn1996, Panama City, Florida

"Love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own."

I believe that love is when the other person's happiness is more important than your own. Over the years I've had a few relationships that ended because of that, because I didn't really know what love was until I learned that it's making that person happy and that person making you happy that counts as real mutual love.

Becca9203 said...
on Feb. 9 2013 at 9:19 pm
It's not that I don't believe that teenagers can fall in love, I'm just wary of the idea. Hormones affect everything when we're so young, and love isn't an emotion based off of hormones. True love is a choice, and an action, and it's so much more than what I think most teenagers understand. I'm not trying to claim that I understand it, but I definitely don't think that most teenagers know what love is. I'm not saying that there's not some that do, and that it can't work out for a high school couple, I just don't think it's very likely.

Hope16 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 31 2013 at 9:20 pm
Hope16 BRONZE, San Diego, California

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Thank you so much for writing this. it does truly speak to me. Im in high school and i belive in love , I have had my first love it was an amazing beautiful experience.

on Jan. 18 2013 at 9:28 pm
theatregirl PLATINUM, Lathrup Village, Michigan

"To thine own self be true," -from Hamlet, a play by Shakespeare.
"I have sworn on the altar of god eternal hostility against all forms of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

My opinion is that teenage love exist; however teenage reason doesn't. Teen imagine relationship are all about love, but they're also about logic. Mamy people have date somene they "loved" but not had long term relationships becuase they didn't truly, like the person. They attract to them but they could not handle the care and keeping of relationship, like communication,empathy, or cohessive goals.also, since teenager are still have evolving personality, a person that get along with and share goal with oned day, might be that way the next. because this, teens might still attract to someone but since their goal change they have trouble dealing with them So, yeal ttenage loves exist, but teen love fail because most teen aren't  good at having a long term relationship.

Paulski BRONZE said...
on Jan. 7 2013 at 2:03 am
Paulski BRONZE, Sherman Oaks, California
I don't dismiss it, but I am cautious of it. The way I see love is like this: 
It is when you see the person you're with and see all their faults and still think "Meh, I could do worse." It's not as glamorous as you may think. I mean, there was a girl...well, it turned out to be a total train wreck, but still, there were feelings there.

. said...
on Jan. 1 2013 at 11:31 am
There is love, and there is not-love. But not-love can't just be limited to teenagers; how many marriages have ended in divorce? Just because there is more not-love (for lack of a better word!) than love during the teenage years does not mean that teenagers can't experience any love.

on Dec. 25 2012 at 11:16 pm
dude i am young but i belive in true luv i think ive only had about 9 relationships that were true but still:)

on Dec. 18 2012 at 11:13 am
TalentedWriter18 PLATINUM, Glen Rock, New Jersey

"dont judge a book by its cover"
"Cheating is for people who cant tell the truth"

i believe in teenage love. i have been with my girl for almost 2 years. i am a senior in highschool and she is a junior. we are happily in love and thats how it will stay. i am never leaving her. and she is never leaving me. were planning to get married after she graduates. 

maddylove said...
on Dec. 15 2012 at 12:52 pm
maddylove, East Earl, Pennsylvania
peronally, i do belive in teen love most adults say y date any1 u dont know what love is so dont date. i think so what if we dont know what love is you only live once we r just being teens

on Dec. 7 2012 at 11:06 am
StayGold7 PLATINUM, Pittsboro, North Carolina
Personally I absolutely believe someone can fall in love as a teenager. It is true that a lot of people as teenagers are just influenced by hormones, in which they are not actually in love..   I am a teenager, and I have been dating my boyfriend for six months so far and every day that goes by, our relationship gets stronger and the weeks just fly by. Honestly I am in love with him. I have known him for two years, and he is my best friend. He is a year younger than me, but he is the most mature guy I have every known. He is a true gentleman.

Angie said...
on Nov. 17 2012 at 2:34 pm
I don`t think they are incapable. Mst are just too immature to fully grasp the difference between love and infatuation.

on Nov. 13 2012 at 12:06 am
HazeyGirl13 GOLD, Lakeview, New York

"One part angel, one part perfect, one part wreck" -Hunter Hayes, "Storm Warning"

I think any love could exist, it just depends on the emotion of the couple, as well as their definition. Love has no single bound definition, so you can not judge if love is real or fake. I also liked how short and precise your article is.

on Nov. 6 2012 at 3:28 pm
I agree with you 100%

on Oct. 11 2012 at 2:20 pm
I believe that love does not
have an age. like yeah you might
not know or be for sure if you are
in love or not but who does?

joanna said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 2:03 pm
i totaly agree with this love is every were not just inhigh school though.

on Oct. 2 2012 at 2:49 pm
NyghtOnyxx GOLD, Goldsboro, North Carolina

I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.
Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
Dogs never bite me. Just humans.
~ Marilyn Monroe

It depends on the two people to figure out whether or not they love each other at an early age... there is a difference between being in love and then being naieve (did i spell that right?) some people say they are in love and then 12 years later realize that they really werent...

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!