30 Day Sustainability Challenges | Teen Ink

30 Day Sustainability Challenges

By kellBellz SILVER, Winona, Minnesota
kellBellz SILVER, Winona, Minnesota

"The only person you hold try and be better than is the person you were yesterday"

Wouldn’t it be awesome if just a single person could do something like save the environment?! I think that would be pretty awesome. For a seventeen year old girl, that dream would be hard to do. What about right here and right now. Something that will not take up more time than necessary to just figure out a way to help our environment. 
Being in highschool, there are many peers that can help make a change in this world. I don’t have to do this alone. Rather we are doing a 30 day sustainable challenge at my school, this is what we did: out of a cup we drew three names, each of those are people we will support through their challenge. We had to pick something that is going to be a real challenge to us. All 50 of us. We are blogging three times a week about how it affects us. There are people that gave up TV, eating junk food, fast food, drinking pop, unplugging things from their home before they leave, reusing recycled bags for their groceries, refuse to use single containers and reuse cups.

I didn’t choose any of those. I use to spend eight hours or more on social media a day. For my challenge I gave up Facebook.  In my spare time, I would go on my phone and check out what is happening on Facebook. I deleted the Facebook app on my phone which made a huge difference in the life of my phone battery! I charge my phone less and spend more time with my family. When I go through withdrawal of Facebook, I use the paper Facebook  that I made to write post that I would if I still had facebook.

Every little bit helps and one person at a time can make a difference. At school, we took 50 students to do one thing different. This is how I hope to help our environment, by getting a group of people and doing little things. Little Things add up, just like pennies.

Our challenges are not easy but they help our environment, in one way or another.