Global Warming and the Polar Bears | Teen Ink

Global Warming and the Polar Bears

By Maggie Carnes BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Maggie Carnes BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

If I could change one thing in the world right now it would be to stop global warming and climate change. Climate change has now become the 21st century’s number one environmental concern. Not only does it affect the way humans live, but it also affects how animals live. It has been a concern since the 1990’s and it’s time we finally do something about it.

Some people say that global warming is a natural thing, but that’s not true because it’s not a natural process. The climate change has done drastic things to the artic regions of the world. In the past eighteen years the artic sea ice has dropped to the lowest levels there are on record.

Some people may say that global warming isn’t hurting anyone, but it is. Studies have suggested that by the year 2050 two-thirds of the Earth’s polar bear population will have perished. In 1973, Norway, the United States, Denmark, Canada and what was the U.S.S.R. all signed the International Agreement on the Conservation of Polar Bears and their Habitat. The agreement says “the taking of polar bears shall be prohibited. The term “taking” includes hunting, capturing and killing”. Well isn’t letting them die from global warming killing them? If global warming continues to threaten the polar bears, scientists predict that they will become extinct within the next century. Climate change not only affects polar bears and the artic regions of the world, but it also endangers all life on Earth. We are all being threatened by changes in rainfall, altered seasons, drought and more violent floods and storms. It has also been known to cause shifts in the distribution and migration of certain species. It’s even caused the actual disappearance of some species as atmospheric, aquatic, and terrestrial conditions change.

Some people say that global warming isn’t our problem or our fault, but global warming is a man-made problem. Things like burning fossil fuels such as coal and oil have caused these climate changes. Agriculture, deforestation and industrial processes have also affected the change. All the coal, gas and oil that we use contributes to the carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide in the atmosphere. These gases are what we call greenhouse gases and they trap heat in the atmosphere. Scientists say that sixty to eighty percent in greenhouse gases must be gone by the year 2050 in order to avoid a warming of only two degrees Celsius.

The World Wildlife Fund, or WWF, are partnering up with companies and other organizations to help eliminate this ongoing problem. For instance, the Amazon rainforest contains seventy billion tons of carbon and is one of the world’s largest carbon dioxide emitters. Deforestation is about twenty percent of all global discharge and every single day people are burning and cutting down parts of this forest. Right now the WWF is creating stronger conservation programs, which will hopefully put a stop to deforestation and help developing countries preserve their rainforests. Some very well known corporations have also agreed to partner with the WWF to reduce their greenhouse gas discharge. By the year 2010, the companies will reduce their carbon dioxide pollution by more than ten million metric tons every year, which is equal to taking two million cars off of the road. The companies are also saving hundreds of millions of dollars, which is also good for the economy.

But the WWF and the companies can’t do it alone. We all need to put forth an effort. By using energy efficient light bulbs, appliances, and computers as well as heating and cooling more efficiently, conserving water, performing an energy audit, switching to reusable power, reducing air travel, driving less and driving smarter you can help make a difference. Remember, global warming is an issue and it’s affecting everyone and everything. We made the mess, so it’s time we clean it up.

Works Cited

Brennan, Eric. "10 Ways to Help Stop Global Warming." www.associatedcontent.com. 2 Nov. 2006. 3 Dec. 2008 http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/78958/10_ways_to_help_stop_global_warming.html?page=3&cat=58.

"Climate." www.worldwildlife.org. 2008. 3 Dec. 2008 http://www.worldwildlife.org/climate/index.html.

"Polar Bears." www.worldwildlife.org. 2008. 3 Dec. 2008 <http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/finder/polarbear/pbi.html?intcmp=46>.

on Apr. 6 2011 at 6:11 pm
Contemplator SILVER, Lake Park, Minnesota

There is a rainbow in your mouth! Open it up and show the world.
This is just like ice cream without the cream.
I'm as stiff as a dried out twig in the middle of winter.
Who lit the forest fire; the match, or the man holding the match?

This is a nice article. Even though I dont agree with it. The total average temp. difference the past 100 years is 0.6 degrees F. And also natural disasters such as forest fires and volcano smoke are the leading pollution makers. The oil spill by BP is the biggest disaster man has created. But its effect on the over all enviroment is still very small. As for the Polar Bears, I love them. Also when you said that it is time to clean up our mess, I totally agree with you. Even if our efforts wont dent the 'climate change', the Bible tells us to take care of the world in the book of Genisis.

on Feb. 14 2011 at 5:12 pm
EarthGirl BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.”
“The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future."

This is a really good article to make people aware. I care a lot about the earth, and I love the polar bears. I do what I can to help them.

on Jan. 23 2011 at 7:18 pm
hulagirl BRONZE, Haleiwa, Hawaii

" If you aren't winning you're losing, if you are losing try your hardest to win,"
-Mr. Rechs History Teacher, Basketball Coach

Nice article! Currently my sister is OBSSESED with polar bears.  She is only eight and doesn't really understand, so soon I will explain so she can get involved in helping save them.