Endangered Species Taste Better | Teen Ink

Endangered Species Taste Better

March 15, 2012
By Daniel Grady BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Daniel Grady BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The always-present argument for eating and killing endangered species has raged through courts, families, and nations. The killing and eating of animals has done nothing but feed the human race and sometimes must be done in self-defense. Have you ever noticed that almost all of endangered animals are dangerous or harmful? No wonder they’re endangered! There are laws now in place that punish those that even come close to their “precious” animals.
If you lived in an area with no supermarkets or civilization, you would be forced to hunt for your meals. Now what if the animals nearby were all endangered? Laws or not, they’re pretty hosed. In this sense, isn’t the law then irrevelent? In third world countries you see no laws such as that yet many endangered species live there in much more abundance than they do here.
I believe that this law isn’t helping the animals as much as we would like to think. With this law in place, the demand in the market for such materials has now skyrocketed up. Prices are soaring for furs, jewelry and materials that can be made from animals that we have forbidden to kill.
Now when we look at the percentages, there are very minimal positive results in endangered restoration. Our move in creating a law that restricts the killing of these animals have backfired against us and have taught regular animal offenders that now is the time to strike.
No more carcasses left out to decay with just the valuables taken. No more black market deals that encourage the poachers to continue in their line of work. Isn’t this what all animal lovers yearn for? If we treat “endangered” species like any other animals then the demand to kill these animals will go significantly down.