Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


txdrama SILVER said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 12:49 pm
txdrama SILVER, Austin, Texas
8 articles 1 photo 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The hardest choice in life is learning which bridge to burn, and which to cross."

16? No, that wouldn't work out. That's the age everybody starts driving. Then we would have less underage drinking but more deaths from drinking and driving.

Lilliterra said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 12:47 pm
Actually, did you know that it is legal for children to have some alcoholic beverages if it is given to them by their parent or guardian? I've had wine, I think it is yuck. But, I totally agree with you, if you make a huge paranoia about not being able to have any, then it simply makes kids facsinated with it and as soon as they are allowed (if not before) they'll go and overdo it.

on Oct. 26 2010 at 12:46 pm
ArcaneArtist BRONZE, Livermore, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
We already tried that... Prohibition back in the gangster days. They created a whole new amendment for the Constitution to prove their point.  It created a black market for the stuff and caused even more people to go after it - kinda like what Harold said in the article. The amendment was later overidden. The fact is, this is a problem that may be difficult to solve without creating new problems to go with it.

TuffGurl said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 6:22 am
I personally don't think there should be a drinking age really (let me explain). In France children can have alcohol, and therefore they get used to it and don't think it's a big deal. There are more drunk people and accidents in the US because we make such a big deal out of it, and some of the people that turn the legal drinking age are so excited and all that they abuse it. So I think that children should learn that it's okay to have a sip of wine once in a while, and see that it isn't that big of deal, so there isn't as much abuse. But you wrote a good article, and I sort of agree with you (by the fact that it should be lowered and all). But the only thing to be careful about having, like, no drinking age is that the parents are responsible enough to teach to their children that it is somewhat of a responsibility, but that they should get used to it so they don't become drunkards or kill people in a drunk-driving incident.

16hellboy said...
on Oct. 22 2010 at 9:53 am
if you lower the drinking age then even yonger kids will drink so i think it should stay the way it is

Katie1234 GOLD said...
on Oct. 17 2010 at 6:13 pm
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota
10 articles 0 photos 77 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

I used to be one of those teenage drinkers. Had it been legal it would have been more encouragement.

Blahblah said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 2:34 pm
Lowering the age limit would stop a lot of the underage drinking, because it would no longer be as dangerous, taking the fun out of it!

Big man said...
on Oct. 15 2010 at 2:22 pm
i belive that the drinking age should be lowerd to 16 becuase kids these days wanna be grown so let them and let them see how it feels when they see how it feels they wouldnt wannna do it anymore when they get older

on Oct. 14 2010 at 4:08 pm
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 75 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

Yah but I know for a fact that people feel like crap after. I know because that exactlly how I felt. Imagine I had my first beer at 12!  I felt horrible after. Ever hear that song airplanes. Listen to the lyrics. In one part it says "after all the glitz and the glam and the fasion. There is a time where you fade to blackness" Thats all im saying

on Oct. 13 2010 at 2:41 pm
morgiegetsmoney BRONZE, Springfield, Missouri
4 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"tell me i cant, i'll show you i can."

agnottheodd. i feel sorry for you. i dont know who youre role models are... if you even have any... but you might wanna re-evaluate you're viewpoints on life. i mean, yes we are all allowed to have our own opinion.... but the way you approach things is just straight up idiotic and immature.

you will be in my prayers.

freewriter_123- i have no problems with you :) i think you have a straight head on you're shoulders.


on Oct. 12 2010 at 5:51 pm
AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California
17 articles 0 photos 315 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

You can't drink and be happy at the same time?  People drink for fun more often than to drown their problems.  People are depressed and drink.  I agree.  But drinking isn't the cause of that.  It just doesn't help the situation.

Plenty of happy people drink too.


on Oct. 12 2010 at 4:29 pm
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 75 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

thats the thing though. There not living happily. Deep down there going through something and drink because they think it will help and it does. AT the Moment, but when it's all over the depression and the situation only gets worse. And I know this because that what happened to one of my best friends. She ended up getting so depressed she tried to hang herself from her shower curtains. Thank God she didnt succed but now shes in a rehab center taking a bunch of medication. Thats exactly why I'm against alchoal. No matter what the age. Im sure you can see why.

on Oct. 7 2010 at 12:05 am
justagirl. GOLD, Waco, Georgia
16 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Maybe it’s not always about love and boys. Maybe it’s about the little crushes and flirts in between. It's the moments that are before the permanent that are the most beautiful, like when the sun’s rising or when it’s setting. Maybe those are the moments that are suppose to take your breath away."

alchol should just be illegalized completely.

on Oct. 4 2010 at 12:52 pm
Taylorrrrr SILVER, Plantsville, Connecticut
8 articles 1 photo 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
its hard to keep a secret if its written all over your body,

I agree...You have a really good point!(:

on Oct. 2 2010 at 7:52 pm
AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California
17 articles 0 photos 315 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Alcohol can be addictive.  It's like saying the sky's blue.  It's obvious.

However, what's not obvious is whether or not it will lead to more problems with society.  Right now, people drink and get high.  In fact, almost everyone I know does.  The thing is, they're smart enough to not do it at school (most of them anyway) or in other environments where they can be disruptive.  As long as they aren't having a negative impact on society let them live happy.

Plus, many of the other countries i mentioned have lower alcohol related problems.  Therefore, it's safe to assume it's a factor, other than drinking age, that results in alcohol related problems.


on Oct. 2 2010 at 7:44 pm
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 75 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

Well for one thing teens will be drinking more than they had before because now they wont have to sneak it by.This will lead to more drunk drivers, and more deaths. Not only that but that leads to addiction. Alcohol ruins peoples lives. Ive seen it happen before. Thats my opinion

on Sep. 30 2010 at 10:46 pm
sketchykatiie BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
'When you see more black-n-mild tips, then cigarette butts, thats when you know your in the ghetto.'

Also, I dont think its an addiction. Its more of, getting away with it, and not getting caught. I have been through many situations with the law, because they thought I was addicted to Alcohol, when in reality it was just an amazment to me, that I could do something, as in getting drunk, and get away with it.

on Sep. 30 2010 at 10:43 pm
sketchykatiie BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
'When you see more black-n-mild tips, then cigarette butts, thats when you know your in the ghetto.'

I completely, 100%, agree with you. Ever heard the phrase 'If you can't beat'em, join'em'? It a phrase I live my life by. I personally think that the drinking age should be lowered. I think you brought up a very good piont with the military. If I can go shoot someone, why can't I have a sip of Jack Daniels? Thats my input on this subject, but Im also probably making no sense... It too late for me to try and prove my piont.

 

Thanks for listening to my b.s. :]


ScoobyDoo said...
on Sep. 25 2010 at 2:28 pm
ScoobyDoo, -, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." -G. K. Chesterton

Yikes. Why lower the drinking age if kids are already breaking the law and becoming alcoholics at young ages?

This quote means a lot to me: "Never take a fence down, unless you know the reason why it was put up." -G.K.Chesterton


on Sep. 18 2010 at 5:52 pm
AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California
17 articles 0 photos 315 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

The U.K., Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Greece, Canada, Austria, Denmark, France, Italy, Malta, and many more countries throughout the world have a lower drinking age and less problems.  Some don't even have a drinking age.

How, exactly do you have any evidence to back up your point?