Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Bbrat said...
I agree with you. Not because i'm a hard core drinker or anything, but its just the fact that at 18 your "considered" an adult. You can vote, buy a gun, drive, join the military, and the list goes on. If at 18 you can do all that why is it that we cant drink?

mutekid016 replied...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 7:59 am
I totally agree with both of you. i mean really, kids are going to drink and when your 18 your considered an adult. the legal limit of drinking should be lowered. If it's ok for you to own a dangerous weapon, then why cant you drink?

EmeliaCarm said...
I completely agree! I am a Senior in High School, I am 18 years old, and I had my first sip of alcohol in 8th grade! I went to my first party in 9th. Note I have never been fully, pass out don't remember a thing, drunk. But that doesn't mean I haven't come close. I now know of girls who are in 6th grade who have been drunk every weekend. Its crazy!
I agree with the fact that we drink underage because it gives us that small sense of danger, were breaking a law *OMG*! It may ... (more »)

Gabs(: said...
Im nit sure if i agree, yes people are doing it anyways but with 18 year olds they have just learned how to drive adn it may make it worse. But idk i think everything should be one age, driving,drinking smoking voting, it should all be one age.

Ellen B. said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 2:12 am
I agree that the drinking age should be 18 im almost 18 and in highschool you know that a lot of highschools between the ages of 14-18 drink once or twice or even more then that if they go to partys all the tme I mean there are countrys that dont have a drinking age at all why can we just have it to be 18 so we can stop haveing to worry about the cops busting people. also I think that there might be less car accidents and people that die

Anita This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 11:43 am
thank you so much for saying this. I agree whole-heartedly. Thank you thank you thank you!

Flutastic said...
I completely agree with you. I'm a fifteen year old and I already know of a TON of people who have drank just because of peer pressure or whatever the case may be. But if we raised the legal age they wouldn't have, but then again if we raised it then more and more teens would do it anyway just to see if they'd actually get caught or if they really would get in trouble. So there's pros and cons to both lowering and rasing it.

nicholasdonner said...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 8:39 am
i think it should be 18 as well im an 18 year old high school male and i love to party with friends but having to worry about cops all night is a huge buzz kill being able to drink at 18 would be alot easyer on us teens and also on the cops who are out looking for kids partying

Alexis R. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sorry, but you do say that it's a "buzzkill" right? Well, think about this.  Of all you people there drinking, how many get behing the wheel of a car? Hmm? How about... oh, about half of you? After you've had 3, 4, 5, or even more beers? You get behind the wheel of a car.  Then some poor kid runs into the street, or some parent is driving home from the late shift to see their husband/wife and tuck their children in.  You can't react as quickly because you are impaired by alcohol.&... (more »)

Edmond_Antonio_Costa said...
I agree entirely. I myself have never tasted (nor do I plan to) alcohol due to a firm belief that drugs (yes alcohol is a drug for those of you that are intellectually challenged) bring nothing but pain and grief. For those of you that are pro alcohol and such give me one reason why its good.
Oh yes, I forgot a glass of red wine is supposed to be good for you!
Sorry people but your stupid. It has nothing to do with the alcohol its simply the grapes.
Anyway I'll cut to the... (more »)

toxic.monkey replied...
dude... respect others, okay?
i can back up your argument about italy + some other european countries. I think that if people didn't make such a big deal of alcohol, underage drinking would decrease.

sprinkshine said...
Jan. 13, 2010 at 1:03 am
If anything, the legal drinking age should be 25. That's when your brain is done developing. Of course there will be people who will drink illegally, but that's because a law is only as good as it is enforced.

E.A.Costa replied...
Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:07 am
That would only make more problems, Italy and France, countries with no drinking age have almost half as many alcohol related deaths.

sprinkshine replied...
Oh well. Who cares? If people are stupid enough to abuse alcohol then let them.

Shambler92 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
in argentina we can drink at 18 and there aren't those many troubles. I mean, if you are 18 and you can't have a beer, you'll probably break the law for it, it is easier to lower the drinking age.

chrissyclarinetist said...
hell yes! it is soooo true. all the adults say that when u hit 18 ur an adult, yet they still expect us to be good and not drink, like were 5 years old. sheesh. were responsible.

rawr5 said...
i think if your an "adult" at 18 then you should be able to drink and smoke.

ilovewriting said...
are you kidding me. we have enough problems of older people above 21 drinking and driving. everyone knows what that leads too... death!!! just because you like to drink doesnt mean that you can just say i want it to be a younger age... i know its your opinon... but really? i think this is one of the worst things in america... drinking causes problems with police and peoples life... i really do think that poeple should have special treatment if they drink more than 3 times a week. if I was aloud ... (more »)

Evaspie said...
Jan. 1, 2010 at 6:37 am
The younger age you start drinking the greater chance you would become an alcoholic, which if you haven't grown up with one you really shouldn't be writting this stuff. Lowering the drinking age would be no different than allowing kids to smoke.. They do it because they can. There are many risk factors as well... Many 18 year olds are not mature enough to drink. They will do stupid things like any teen would. The police already have enough problems with the people over 21 do you really... (more »)

Bbrat replied...
ok so your right about the fact that cops have alot of problems with drinking and driving, but who said those drinking and driving arent younger than 21? maybe lowering would cause less drinking and driving. Especially if the person is driving to get home so they dont get caught for drinking. Not all 18 year olds are mature enought, but not all of them arent either.