Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

It should be to some peoplee . not all people .

but i agree 

FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado

"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

Lol, I was a drinker. Yeah, it starts off that way but than, you get used to the feeling the high of alcohol and you become addicted. I'm not being close minded, I was a heavy drinker. I started for attention and popularity, but than craved it for the feeling.

6poke9 said...
6poke9,
thank you Rhialeigh!

Well said stargirl but in there i noticed you said that its 21 because it when we think their bodies can handle alcohol. I know that it is best to wait till your 21 or 25 for that matter but i really do think it should 18 or may be lower because i think it should be your own choice with what you do to you body 

i agree that it would be higher for a time but in time it would become less of a big deal and i think it would be lowered

Annie18* said...
on Nov. 30 2010 at 10:18 am
No Matter what the ban is people are going to do what they want. Enforcing a smoking ban will only cause more problems for the city in the long run.

on Nov. 30 2010 at 6:55 am
LovableD BRONZE, Killeen, Texas

Are you living or are you exsisting

That is true, not trying to say all teens do drink alcohol, but those who have a low self of steem or those who are pure pressured tend to run to alcohol because when their breaking the law it gives them a certain power and mostly an andrenline rush, so i totally agree with you.

Rhialeigh said...
Well then, what would you consider a "responsible adult?" How would that be both tested and monitored? In a perfect world, that would be great. But I don't see how that's possible in today's society.

Rhialeigh said...
I like this idea, personally. FlyleafFreak, I really feel like you're being very close minded here, and not even allowing yourself to hear others' opinions. I read a comment of yours further up the page, saying that "no one drinks just to break the law" and that's just not the truth. A large amount of people DON'T like the taste of alcohol, but drink it to be social and to fit in. So, I would advise that you keep a bit more of an open mind and allow others to have their opinions without getting them shot down.

6poke9 said...
6poke9,
lets face it, either way its a lose lose situataion.

The thrill of breaking the law? Psh, how ignorant are you. Drinking is about the drink, about the alcohol. I hate it when people say that. Yeah at first they feel all cool and then they good addicted. I used to drink and trust me, you drink because of the alcohol.

Wow, so we should be like other contries that have no or very lazy drinking laws. What, you think now that it's legal people wouldn't do it? Is it easier for someone to find someone to go get them a beer and find a way to drink it without getting arrested or to walk into a liquor store and buy some themselves.

I believe that the drinking age should stay what it is. The argument seems to be that if we lower it, it will reduce the number of reckless teen alcohol abusers. Not true, in fact it would increase the number because now high schoolers would be much more likely to get alcohol from a senior, or someone closer to their age. Plus, we need barriers.

BobbaJille said...
BobbaJille, Des Moines, Iowa

"When enteraining the public, it is best to have an elephant." - P.T. Barnum

The drinking age should NOT be lowered; just because people do it does not mean it should be legal. Take murder, or stealing for instance just because people do it does not mean that they should! So by your arguments you are making are saying that all things people do should be legal just because people are going to do it anyways. NO! That is not right, rules are made for a reason, and not all teens just do things to break the law or be cool, that is a common misunderstanding. Teens would and do drink just like how adults do, they do not only do it to break the law. It would not work and it should never be lowered.

b.s.... said...
ok whatever.. u say people drink to brake the law but have u asked eny body all the people i know dont just get drunk to break the law but to get drunk... keep in mind not evrey body is an immature person hew thinks its somehow cool to brake.. give your self a brake 

twigurl13 said...
on Nov. 23 2010 at 1:05 am
twigurl13, Valrico, Florida

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

i think it should be 18 because 18 is the law's age for being an adult. So, technically, if an 18 year old adult can't have a beer, who can? 

jkjk123 said...
jkjk123, New York, New York

yesterday is history tomorrow is a mystery
today is a gift and that is why it is called the present

- Alice Earle

ok so the human liver is finished growing at 21 and even when it isnt finished growing it can only process one drink per hour. so i understand the drinking age but u can go rick your life at war at age 18! so in my opinion it isnt fair that you can drive vote go to war get a tattoo but not have a beer

TrinityCreed said...
on Nov. 18 2010 at 9:47 am
I just think that people should not drink alcohol at all!

coltsfan2710 said...
on Nov. 18 2010 at 6:09 am
i think that the drinking age should stay at 21 cuz we dont ne 18 year olds drinking + driving its already bad enough now!

on Nov. 18 2010 at 12:53 am
I think if kids are going to drink, they will find their way to,  it boosts the economy if they buy it, but i also think that if the age is lowered...you should still be 21 to drive with anything in your system and each states should still maintain laws