Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

loca said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 2:34 am
my parents told my brother and i if we wanted to try it, ok .they said they would rather us try it at home than try and sneak it .my brother is now of legal age and not a big drinker ,and i dont feel the need or want to drink forany reason.so I think some might benefit from a lower legal age be cause it wouldnt be some forbidden thing

on Oct. 28 2010 at 1:32 am
Danielle-jaiden GOLD, Las Vegas, Nevada

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein

Personally, This is a bad idea and if the drinking age is changed it should be raised not lowered. A persons' awareness and thinking section of the brain isn't fully developed until the age of 23. Lowering the drinking age would be dangerous because it would cause more teen overdoses/ alcohol abuse, car accidents, and addicts in the future. Now im not a " fancy nancy" i like to drink and party just as much as anyone else, but being a highschool senior i see kids act stupid and logically lowering the age would be stupid based on the wellness of people. However from the economic side, and making my weekends easier, i guess lowering the age wouldn't be so bad. But is a small boost in the economy really worth the risk? I'm a typical high school student, and i see too much stupidity for legal consumption to add to it.

PippinP GOLD said...
on Oct. 27 2010 at 8:45 pm
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

Faith is like learning to walk; you have to fall at first, but don't stay down. When in doubt, don't stop believing.

I agree with SemiVeggie. And if a parent says not to do something and the kid disobeys just to be cool to his friends, you DO NOT take away the rule. There's no way that will stop them. I don't think teens drink just to be illegal.

flyers said...
on Oct. 27 2010 at 8:24 pm
i agree that the drinking age should be lowered to 18 because you are a legal adult but most people start drinking at age 13 to 16 so it would still be illegal for them

on Oct. 27 2010 at 7:02 pm
Gracious PLATINUM, Go Away, Kansas

"life sucks and then you die, yeah, i should be so lucky"

-Jacob, Twilight

I’m still that girl who falls when she runs, Getting back up, because falling is fun.

I agree that is should be lowered and you make good points. But to be honest i think this was poorly written. Sorry

on Oct. 26 2010 at 11:46 pm
SemiVeggie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
No offense, or anything, but one of your main points seems to be that lowering the drinking age would cut down on irresponsible, underage drinking. Yeah -- because all the people who drink irresponsibly would now be old enough to be doing it legally... Just because I can do something legally doesn't mean I'll be less inclined to do it. Drinking isn't just a vessel for flouting the law...

L. said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 9:56 pm
I agree with you, but just to throw up some points most teens (and adults) drink cause alcohal is a great icebreaker at parties.  Also, if you look at countries where the drinking age is lower (or nonexistent) drinking in general is a huge social problem, exmpl ireland and england, on the opposite affect there is no drinking age in france and although people undoubtably get drunk...I've never heard of it having a problem more serious then that in the U.S. 

LexiB SILVER said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 8:15 pm
LexiB SILVER, Tallassee, Alabama

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go."

Joshua 1:9

I think that the drinking age should be higher, or prehaps you have to go through a evaluation test to have it becauase teens and young adults aren't mature enough to handle responsible drinking.

timewriter said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 6:22 pm
I completely agree with this! The drinking ages in Europe are very different from in the US, and this does not make any difference to their teenagers. In fact, it gives their teenagers a chance to see what alcohol is, and by eliminating the allure of "omg i'm breaking the law i'm so cool" they know restraint. America is paranoid about way too much.

Katie1234 GOLD said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 6:19 pm
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

I would also like to add that making something legal doesn't make people any less dumb. Not to offend anyone! Having a drink here and there is OK! It is the people who don't stop and then wake up with their head resting on the porcelain.

Katie1234 GOLD said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 6:16 pm
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."

There is some irony in the drinking and the tabacco consumption age limit.... It isn't actually illegal for teenagers (like myself) to smoke or to drink. It is however illegal for anyone to sell it to us. But we can get arrested for underage drinking. But it's unconstitutional... So explain that to me!

on Oct. 26 2010 at 5:31 pm
KB_Country_Strong BRONZE, Hartsville, South Carolina

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean

It used to be outlawed in the US too. The 18th amendment made it illegal to drink. People obeyed the law for a while, then started to have under ground clubs and such. People who sold alcohol were called bootleggers. This practice was especially popular during the 1920s. In the 1930s, the amendment was repelled by the 21st amendment.  

on Oct. 26 2010 at 5:28 pm

One day when I was in Health class at a local public school, the teacher asked us to write down our opinions of the legal drinking age. One of my friends told me later that she thought the drinking age should be lowered to 18, but only for 5 years. Kind of as a test run. If it works (kind of like you say it will) then you need to keep it there. I will never drink, but I have heard of many teens talk about how drunk they have gotten at parties and such. They talked like it was nothing. I was very disturbed. Now, I agree with what my friend said. If the government lowers it as a test run, then it has the possibility to work/not work. (Also, government does not have the power to control the age of alcohol consumption. It is unconstitutional. It is one more way that the government is thoroughly controlling our lives!)

eMiLyP GOLD said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 5:18 pm
eMiLyP GOLD, Jeannette, Pennsylvania

Life is short; speak your mind, say what ya wanna say, and do what ya wanna do (as long as you don't get caught!).

I agree, but disagree.  Sure, a sip of alchohol won't kill anyone, but in excess, it can.  At my school, three seniors were hurt in a car crash because they had been drinking and had been stupid enough to drive.  Luckily, none of them died or killed anyone else.  The drinking age could be lowered if people thought about things before they did them.  I knew one of the seniors that were in the crash and he is currently in the hospital.  Because of this, I made a promise to myself to never drink.  Maybe one day, when I'm in my thirties.  There are so many problems that go along with drinking, so why should it be encouraged for people to do it?

on Oct. 26 2010 at 4:44 pm
Rina-with-a-k SILVER, Fayetteville, North Carolina

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

I do agree with you. I know loads of people who drink just because they think it's cool to break the law. And it really is a huge deal when they get caught, and they like that.

But consider this: if the drinking age is lowered, many people will use alcohol as a crutch when they're sad. It happens all the time. And the prolonged use of alcohol damages kidneys and livers. Alcohol abuse is going to happen whether or not the age is lowered, but why help them damage themselves?

I'm not disagreeing with the article, however. You have very valid point. But you're letting your emotions get too much into it. Also, your grammar and punctuation needs work. If you can rewrite it, it'll be a pretty amazing argument.

TommyOoOoO said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 4:20 pm
That would be fine with me

on Oct. 26 2010 at 3:38 pm
pageturner PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

It's okay to daydream.. just as long as you get to do some of those daydreams.

By lowering the drinking age young teens who already drink will be able to easily get more alcohol. Lowering the age limit might have a tiny decrease, but it wouldn't make much of a difference. And exactly what age are you impyling in your article???

sayeedtajiki said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 2:44 pm
Of course you are right but drinking alcohol is not allowed in Pakistan at any age, rather he/she is adult or whtsoeva

Nicole Yug said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 1:13 pm
Nicole Yug, Not Given, Illinois
Legal versus illegal may make a slight difference, a very slight one. But common sense and maturity is what is really needed. Unfortunately our culture today tells us that being immature and rebellious is the "cool" thing to do, stupidity is the expected, and those who go outside these "guidelines" are weird.

Lilliterra said...
on Oct. 26 2010 at 12:57 pm

It's not drinking that's bad, it's drinking too much that's bad. Let us not be confused.  (of course there are people that hold the opinion that is is wrong to drink at all ever, but I'm definately not of that opinion and I don't think that's what the author of the article was talking about.)

I reach a similar conclusion to Agnottheodd, but not in the same way. People are responsible for their own lives at a certain age, and that's when they should be allowed to drink. Right now, the voting age is 18. Why are 18 year olds allowed to make an important decision for their country but not allowed to decide what they will do with their own life?