Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Tomboy said...
May 21, 2010 at 10:24 am
I'm kind of on both sides of this.  I agree with some of the comments but the article does make sense.  I think it depends where.  Though, alchohaul should be banned and they should stop making it.  Theres always countless accidents, hunderds of side affects, ruins lives, and almost everyone says its bad anyway.  I do think that champane and wine should be ok, on special occasions.  What i'm saying is that beer and liquor should be banned.

Katie999 replied...

I see your point completely. I would have to dissagree however. Did you know that wine has a MUCH higher alcohol content than beer and liquor?

I would suggest that only those in the military at 18 or over should be allowed to drink. If they are responsible enough, mature enough to make a decision about the course of their lives, to put their lives on the line for the sake of our fellow American's...Our young soldiers have by far EARNED  the right to consume alcohol.

AnimePianist replied...

While yes, I do agree with you Katie, they all have the equivalent of one drink. If you have on drink of beer, it is the same as having one drink of wine. The serving size for alcohol goes like this.

Serving Sizes: Wine: 5 oz. Beer: 12 oz. Liquor: 1.5 oz. and Wine Coolers: 12 oz.  

MoonlitRaven said...
plz this articles way too biased, all this kid whats to do is drink

Yoyo96 replied...
Haha, i got that same feelin from this article. but i didnt dare comment on it :X

MoonlitRaven replied...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 12:00 am
lol, well what the drinking age is this guy will drink anways :S

Cowgirl(: said...
Drinking is perfectly fine, it has been around for years, and the age should be lowered, most people do drink weather they are allowed to or not. No one can stop a teenager from doing what they want to do, and that is exactly why teenagers have such a bad reputation. Its something that everyone should consiter,

kidfan13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 10:28 am
How is drinking perfectly fine?

cal3 said...
think it wouldnt make any difference it would just cost more accidents. in order to make people stop drinking and driving is to make alchol illegal to sale or buy no matter wat age

bob95 said...
the drinking age should be lowerd to 15

ournatureofminds96 said...
yeah we'd all be smiling as we stumbled into oncoming traffic.

Katie999 replied...
lol good one :)

ournatureofminds96 said...
the reason why the drinking age is 21 is because thats when the average brain quits developing. and yes youre right about teeen s drinking for rebellion but if they lowered the age we would have even MORE teens drinking and getting drunk because the law "cant touch them" for it. that would be a humungous mistake.

Lanier42 replied...
totally agree :)

brittnayj2332 said...
May 10, 2010 at 12:58 am

In my opinion because alcohol and drugs are illigal it makes teens want to do them even more just because they are going through the rebeliious stage.

In other countries, such as France and Spain, the rates of alcohol consumption are higher BUT the rates of alcoholism and alcohol abuse is lower.

In my opinion i honestly think that the drinking age should be lowered to 17 because teens find ways to get alcohol so why not have them learn at a younger age to manage it instead ... (more »)

Tenthmuse said...
You're arguement is strong, but the drinking age must remain at 21 because at 21, alcohol can no longer destroy developing brain cells. It still kills them after 21, but not as quickly.

JaguaariLilly replied...
May 19, 2010 at 12:36 am
I feel the phrase "developing brain cells" is over used and nonspecific....what excately does phrase mean? like does the cell aquire a greater mass? more connections? loss ability to aquire more connections with other neurons? and what damage would there be to your brain or overall thinking process if alcohol was not overused when under 21? so idk if the phrase "developing brain cells" has any signifigance to me, being an AP bio student,...its just too vague to be evidence for me.

JaguaariLilly replied...
May 19, 2010 at 12:38 am
oh wow i meant  to say "destroy developing brain cells" oops

Tenthmuse replied...
May 19, 2010 at 12:45 am
Under the age of 21, alcohol can disrupt and severe synapse connections between cells in the brain, stunting the development of basic skills. It also enters the membrane of neurons and alters their function. In studies, the white matter (what connects and transmits messages in the brain) are extremely depleted in the brain of an  underage user (however, the grey matter itself did not vary). These risks are greatly intensified on a brain that is still in it's developing ages, under about 21.

JaguaariLilly replied...
May 19, 2010 at 8:51 am
okay then, i thought it might have to do with something with membrane potential but i dont rele make sense of "because at age 21 alcohol can no longer destroy developing brain. It still kills them after 21 but not as quickly" its contradictory...it doesn't kill them, just less quickly....well thats still killing brain cells...