Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Tenthmuse said...
May 9, 2010 at 3:40 pm:
You're arguement is strong, but the drinking age must remain at 21 because at 21, alcohol can no longer destroy developing brain cells. It still kills them after 21, but not as quickly.

Tenthmuse replied...
May 19, 2010 at 12:45 am :
Under the age of 21, alcohol can disrupt and severe synapse connections between cells in the brain, stunting the development of basic skills. It also enters the membrane of neurons and alters their function. In studies, the white matter (what connects and transmits messages in the brain) are extremely depleted in the brain of an  underage user (however, the grey matter itself did not vary). These risks are greatly intensified on a brain that is still in it's developing ages, under about 21.

JaguaariLilly replied...
May 19, 2010 at 8:51 am :
okay then, i thought it might have to do with something with membrane potential but i dont rele make sense of "because at age 21 alcohol can no longer destroy developing brain. It still kills them after 21 but not as quickly" its contradictory...it doesn't kill them, just less quickly....well thats still killing brain cells...

MojoStealer95 said...
May 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm:
I fail to see the relationship between a higher drinking age and drunk driving. Even perfectly legal adults get in accidents while driving under the influence, so this  is pretty faulty. Although I can see that if you can fight for your country and die, you should be able to drink legally. However I do not promote alcohol in any consumption really.

JackFreedom said...
May 6, 2010 at 4:43 pm:
Umm... I respect your opinion and all... but NO.  Drinking is the scourge of this country and it should be outlawed permanently.

JaguaariLilly replied...
May 19, 2010 at 12:18 am :
when the USA had the prohibition amendement attatched to the constition, 18th i think...all transportation, consumption of alcohol was illegal. In the 1920's, which is when this law was enforced, alcohol consumption rates increased dramatically. we have organized crimes today because people like Al Capone, a bootlegger/ganster (someone who illegally manufactured and sold alcohol) laid foundations for this type of crimnal strategies/activities whatev. like the mexican drug cartels. different... (more »)

RedCassNeck99 said...
May 6, 2010 at 8:06 am:
I completely agree. Why can you join the army and kill people, become a legal adult and many other things but you cant drink? I agree that the drinking age should be lowered to 18 when people become adults

krazykathleen said...
May 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm:
Though you have some good points, I disagree. People under 18 find a way to get alchohol so if the limit was 16, people under 16 would be trying to get it. No matter what you do, people will still find a way to get alchohol, and the lower the limit the younger the people trying to get it.

AMB3R42O said...
May 4, 2010 at 10:06 am:
ha, Truee true ! thy need to .

Lyndsay_420 replied...
May 4, 2010 at 10:08 am :
Amber-  i totallllllly agreeeee. it should be legalized. make people happy :) and iloveyouuuuu<3

squidzinkpen replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm :
I don't think the drinking age actually stops people anymore. My sister started to drink when she was 13, and so did her friends, and my friends, who are 15, have had drinks and gotten drunk, so really, if people wanted to drink, they'd do it. I understand the point though. And to people who say Europeas can drink earlier, it's because a lot of European drinks don't have as much alcohal in them. I know that a lot of Italian wine had barely alcohal in it years ago.

LifeWriter13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

It's not just the fact or being able to go to war at 18, but also at 18 we are legally allowed to smoke. Smoking may not cause wrecks, but it caused cancer and is much more fatal than liquor. Many parents do let their kids drink at home though, because many believe that if they let their own children drink a little at home (around them) then maybe when their children start going out with friends they won't feel such an urge to drink.

Also, in some places children are allowed to drink f... (more »)

TwiHeart101 said...
I agree, why do you have to be 21 to drink. Its soo unfair!

Mmbusch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I chose this for my "persuasion speech" topic a few weeks ago. And kudos on quoting Dr. Engs, I cited her too.

I don't claim to know everything about teen drinking, and certainly no measure will completely solve the problem, but I do think our government should consider lowering the drinking age limit.

In my personal opinion, it should be lowered to 18 upon graduation. Because of this, students won't be allowed to drink in high school due to an early birthday. And because of thi... (more »)

Mmbusch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm :
Yea, my computer sort of shut down, but I rewrote the comment...

AnneOnnimous said...
I definitely agree with you. In Canada, our drinking age is 19 and that doesn't cause any trouble. It makes more sense than having the age be 21.

kaileeboo said...

i think that the age should be lowered cas of the fact if it was lowwered u would not have so many teens thinking they r doing somthing wrong and getting away with it

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 1:08 pm:
I see your point, but I don't agree. Drinking is stupid no matter what age you are. And about the whole "when you turn 18 you can legally kill people in the military", you're acting like that's all we're doing. Like our military goes overseas just to start killing people. Well, we don't. People may not like to admit it, but the military is protecting our freedom. And if they have to kill the enemy in the process, so be it. And if you don't like it move to ... (more »)

af12 replied...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 9:18 pm :
You have a good point
I agree

af12 replied...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 9:20 pm :
wow you have an interesting life as it seems

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:15 am :
What do you mean?