Everyone Bleeds Red Blood | Teen Ink

Everyone Bleeds Red Blood

February 4, 2011
By Anonymous

Discrimination is everywhere. Racial profiling is becoming more common, creating a greater distance from where we are now, to the place of equality. Although over twenty states have passed laws prohibiting racial profiling, it is a fact that whites are stopped and searched, and even arrested much less than blacks. It is now legal in the state of Arizona to stop anyone of “Mexican Appearance”. What kind of world do we live in where one race is better than the next? It is an unfair, unjust, prejudice world, and the assumptions made toward any race are degrading; changes need to be made in order to achieve the one thing more significant than every race; equality.

My high school is interracial, and I have never thought much of it until one day in the cafeteria. There were two groups of students, one group with only white students, and one group with only black students. Both were chanting and yelling their superiority with intolerant statements thrown in; “White power!” “Black Power!”. They started running creating quite the scene, when security guards finally got a hold on the situation. I never understood the point of this quarrel. What purpose did it serve to shout your race? Did it make them feel important, and better than everyone else, or could it be the human need, the need for attention that drove these students to yell? Having pride in your race and heritage is a very powerful thing, and it should be used to make better of a situation, and not to make others feel inferior. Everyone desires to be better than someone at something. Let that something be the arts, music, dance, sports, or writing. Being yourself, and the best you can be is all that truly matters.

Men and women of Mexican race are constantly being put in a negative light. With immigration laws, and racial profiling stronger than ever, Mexicans seem to never catch a break. I am twenty-five percent Mexican myself, my mother being fifty percent, and my grandfather being almost one hundred percent. Others make assumptions that Mexicans lack intelligence. This past winter, my grandfather and I went to our downtown Christmas festival. There was a man selling brochures on various topics and we went over to look at them. The vendor went to hand my Grandpa one, and pulled away asking, “Wait, can you read?” What moral man assumes that just because he is Mexican he lacks the privilege and knowledge to read? I was completely shocked, and this stereotyping of Mexicans was fully brought to my attention. Stereotyping is a lot more serious than simply judging. Stereotyping is making assumptions about a person’s life, when you do not have any knowledge of who they are or what they might be going through. We could all benefit from this quote from the greatest Greek philosopher Plato, “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

It does not matter if you have blue, black, white, orange, yellow, brown, or pink skin; everyone bleeds red blood. We are all equally created; therefore, we should be treated and treat others equally. Stereotyping is degrading toward who is being judged. Together, let us take a step toward change and a better, united world.