Suffering Among a Troubled Continent | Teen Ink

Suffering Among a Troubled Continent

November 5, 2009
By lxpompa BRONZE, Litchfield Park, Arizona
lxpompa BRONZE, Litchfield Park, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sub-African cultures have seen nearly all actions of the utmost disgust. For years these specific nations of Africa have suffered in unbearable conditions. War torn nations are stripped of resources and necessities, left battered; an economy left inexistent or un-loyal. Diseases shroud the land, infecting millions to face an inevitable fate of death. Schools burned to ash send children into the hellish landscape uneducated, unable.

As observers of horrid acts, we show the world, more accurately humanity, that we are self-centered and heartless. People can simply commit the easy crime of sitting back, unwilling to help anyone in need. The only way to repent the popular crime is in developing a powerful foundation for our fellow humans just over the Atlantic. Although there are many existent organizations in the world, it is not sufficient in building together an impenetrable wall; defending them from their prosecutors. We as a whole, must help the starving, suffering, dying nations of Africa; to see through that terrors such as genocide can never be written in humanity’s history books again.

Warring in Africa has had citizens suffer among immoral tragedies. Every single day, hundreds of innocents fall to the vengeful wraths of raging rebels or powerful militants. Dictators of the nations command their personal soldiers to rid of any oppositions or conflicting personnel to the leader. (Rebirth Africa Life on the Continent). In these raids from mercenaries and personal units, so many people are tortured and sent to their death. They brutally murder every person in their path, and leave the women to become one of the next few thousand rape victims that year.
“Over four thousand villages were burned down, erased totally from the earth.”
“The Janjaweed came and burned them all alive. As well as throwing the children into the fire.”
“The Janjaweed shot at me and killed my baby on my back”
(Woman Survivors; Save Darfur Coalition).
Seemingly, the actual roots for the constant civil wars in Africa are nonetheless caused by dominant factors in economics. (Paul Collier). War has physically dominated vast areas of Africa. People’s daily resources have become more and more non-existent. The remaining resources are vitally protected by wealthy governors, to furthermore expand their profits. For that, people all over the rugged lands starve and are forced to fight an impossible revolution.

The citizens of these nations are economically and physically unable to render some sort of educational system, since the majority of them can not read or write either. How can they expect to ever rise from any situation of trouble if they can not learn from their mistakes. Even if they managed to overthrow the dictating government, they will be doomed if they remain uneducated and unable to run an efficient nation. 120 million children go on without basic education, and 65 million of them are female. (One Organization).

Women in these nations are 100 percent, pure Muslims; the symbol of cherishment among the families. Muslim beliefs for the families are sacred in the women controlling themselves, staying virgins; during their entire lives or until marriage. Unfortunately, this paints a vivid red target on the backs of all women for the dreadful intelligence lingering in the minds of corrupt government officials.

Women are now being used as a systematic method of war. In Sudan’s region of Darfur, threatening rebels scared governors into committing unspeakable acts. A weapon of war and a tool of intimidation to rape every single woman, girl, or female in general sight. The shame brought between them and Allah causes rape victims to shun themselves from family. (Save Darfur Coalition). The rebels then flee, becoming refugees in hope to escape the prosecutors who force shameful, intolerant acts against humanity. We must act now as brothers and sisters of the planet, and help bring an end to the horrors brought upon by inhumane devils.

Imagine being in the shoes of the average African woman, waking up every morning with the fear that you could be raped. You are asked to retrieve some berries and food from your husband and on your way you are attacked by the prosecutors. They seize you and your fellow girlfriends, taunting you, at first. Before anyone can react, you are brought to the ground and conquered by every single male militant present. Imagine it being you, imagine it being your friends, imagine it being your husband or wife, imagine your family; this is everyday life for people in Darfur. (Save Darfur Coalition)

Every human being on Earth was born with a heart and a conscience. Everyone was born equal into the world. Who is rightfully given the power to choose who lives and who dies, freely?

People can argue we have better things to do on the “homefront” (American Pageant) but the majority sit back and complain. It is necessity we quit complaining and help the world, honorably, rather than help ourselves, selfishly. It is time we take care of business and show the world what the meaning of a “Good” Human Being is. (One Organization).

Watching a large part of the world slowly die off is inhumane. It is not our right as Americans, Europeans, or Asians to help our African brothers and sisters. Although, it is our duty as human beings said by all Gods themselves to help everyone in need. Love for one another and awareness of what goes on is the greatest emotional power of all. We must not let our African counterparts go on alone, we stand beside them. We can help build a foundation one block of marble at a time to a greater staircase to peace and prosperity. Lastly, “Let us promise ourselves and hold ourselves back that still there is something we can do to save others, to give hope and to give life to others.” (Niamat Alumandi; Human Rights Advocate)
Works Cited

"Armed Conflict and War in Africa." Rebirth Africa Life on the Continent. Rebirth Africa, Autumn 2000. Web. Spring 2009. <http://www.rebirth.co.za/armed_conflict_and_war_in_africa.htm>.
Baily, Thomas, David M. Kennedy, and Lizabeth Cohen. The American Pageant: A History of the Republic. 11th ed. Wadsworth, 1997. Print.
Collier, Paul. "Natural Resources and Conflict in Africa." War in Africa. Crimes of War Project, Oct. 2004. Web. Spring 2004. <http://www.crimesofwar.org/africa-mag/afr_04_collier.html>.
"Major Diseases Under High Surveillance." Research and Public Health Activities in the International Network of Institut Pasteur (RIIP). Institut Pasteur, Dec. 2004. Web. Spring 2009. <http://www.pasteur.fr/actu/presse/press/RIIP/index.htm>.


The author's comments:
I wrote this paper in hopes to raise awareness to the horrid acts committed in the African Continent. I also hoped to touch the hearts of as many people I can, and possibly inspire them to do what they can to help our fellow human beings.