How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

throughthefire said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 12:42 am:
I agree with much of what you said, even as an american. But don't hate the country, hate the people you mentioned! Right now I'm being affected by this "Recession." The place where my mom works just spent over $500,000 on a new phone system (That nobody uses) and they are cutting everyone's pay. Well, except the administrators, who do nothing but sit around and do nothing. And while they're cutting pay for many faculty members, they're giving the administrators a RAISE. Just another example of ... (more »)

Shade925 replied...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:47 am :
Your absolutely right. I see the same things where I live, and though I believe the article is right your point of not hating all of America is true.

Trevor_Eakes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm:
I think you have a great factual article here. You should take a look at my article America's Global standing-How Well Liked Are We and see what you think. As an American I can symathize. I wouldn't pay to much attention to the ranting antics of the dull sarcastic coments about ideology instead of reality you have recieved from this controversial article. As a country with 5% of the world population consuming 27% of the resources on this planet something must change. If you want change though ju... (more »)

booksmaya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 12:37 am:
I understand where you are coming from, but you do not have the right to judge a country, as generous as America, when you have a Queen that's only job is to sit around taking the taxpayers money. America is a nation based on the fundamental values of freedom, justice, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, so that means if we want to buy something that may not last we do it because it makes us happy. To address your other points, don't just sit there and act as if your... (more »)

Ilovemybubay replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm :
I agree with you. I dont know where you get the idea to say stuff about where I come from. So keep your mouth shut and dont talk like that about my home.

FroBro replied...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:26 am :
Yeah, lets just keep killing the earth because we're americans and we are better than everyone else.

Ilovemybubay replied...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm :
No one said We are better even though we really are beacause we know what it feels like to be FREE, PROUD,INDEPENDENT and so many things. So you have no right to say that about the country that saved multipuk other countrys and we AMERICANS care about others besides ourselfs.Thanks and goodbye.

How many HATE UK? said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:48 pm:

I mean, what about the American Revolution? wtf was that about?

And, I mean, why do they spend all that money on a queen who doesn't do anything?

And, I mean, what about that one guy who was from the UK who blew up that building? Oh! I guess all the English must be terrorists.

That's what this piece said to me, except, of course, about America with American ideaologies.

So.

How does it feel?

gogreen1 said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm:

First, I'll talk about your writing style. It's kind of strange that you went straight from "The U.S.A. government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures" to "don't buy useless stuff!". But that's all I have to complain about regarding that.

Secondly, about the idea of this article. I HATE HATE HATE how you completely and utterly stereotype the American people!! I see this all the time. "Americans waste fossil fuels." "Americans throw away too much stuff."... (more »)

bthrower replied...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm :
america does not exist

Sythan said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm:
The acts of the failing US government, who can magically fund a war, but cannot feed it's own starving people, does not represent the American public.

LaurenTaylor said...
May 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm:
Yeah, okay, America is horrible. So that's why in America, you have freedom of religion, welfare and food stamps to help you get by if you can't, homeless shelters, a military to protect you, good schools, and a beautiful landscape. Seriously, you think a bunch of numbers are going to prove anything? Pleaseee.

MacaroniMan said...
May 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm:

I support the idealogy of soviet russia

TheKing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm:

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it"

-Mark Twain

The Government and the people are two seperate entities, dont blame the country for its governments mistakes.

lordhamstertron said...
May 16, 2011 at 1:49 am:

First of all, we were always bound to run out of fossil fuels, that has always been inevitable.  There are people currently working to find alternatives.  Second, did you take into account that the US at leat 5 times more citizens than the UK?  This is a big factor into our energy consumption.  And how dare you compare the government to a terrotist organization.  Do you know the definition of a terrorist?  Someone who inflicts, oh, I don't know, terror, in... (more »)

jerry of seinfeld said...
May 14, 2011 at 2:04 am:

Wow! Your article is one those that stand up to the test. Whether it passes or not is up to the opinion of the reader.

I'll have to say that this article has some truth interpreted differently.

jerry of seinfeld replied...
May 14, 2011 at 2:11 am :
Also, you should have given us your resources.

DylanBaugher said...
May 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm:
I live in America and i agree.. Its not that great of a place, yes there is worse places to live, but alot of better places. Our goverment keeps things from us and lies to us. And do be really have a say in what they do? not really

Pwned replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:49 pm :
Well, yeah, we kind of do. We elect the people that make the bad decisions. So don't place the blame on others.

swcricket98 replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:21 am :
And what are these better places? Because last time I checked Americans are the ones who have freedoms. Who have shelter & food no matter what position. If you don't like America so much why don't you just move to one of those better places you were talking about?