How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Ian_M said...
While I agree with most of your arguement, you have some flaws. You're a might uninformed. War is my specialty, but first I extremely dislike your comment on our arms "They have guns!". Yeah, we do. And so does everyone else. For the record, we can't even USE our nuclear weaponry. Ever heard of the START treaty? Yeah, that little document made using nuclear arms againts other countries. And for the war in Iraq, we are kind of like Crusaders there. They had communist dictator... (more »)

Laura_Oliver said...

I'm from America, and personally I wouldn't like to live anyplace else, but it IS extremely frustrating to listen to all of the stupid things American career politicians do. As an opinion article in my local newspaper once stated, "The reason America is losing power is because there are two governments: the Democrats and Republicans. Their job is to make each other look bad, which doesn't leave much left for the American people."

And I wouldn't blame Americans as a whole for the Iraq w... (more »)

Laura_Oliver replied...
Oct. 22, 2011 at 5:00 pm :
Basically, my point is you aren't complaining about the American people, you are complaining about the government. The government is not the people. They are so different, so far removed, that comparing them is absolutely absurd and pointless.

SakethBalaji said...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 2:45 am:

america may be a paranoid bully 
but this is necesary sometimes

america may hav made all the wrong moves this decade but anyone would rather have USA as he bully than china .

i think all of you would agre

SakethBalaji replied...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 2:46 am :
sorry about all the wrong spellings
anyway you know what i mean

StellarStella said...
I completely agree with you. America does things based only off the fear of other countries. When the Iraq war first started, I had no idea why we were going to war. As I grew older, and learned more, I began to oppose the war more and more. America is a bully. We go in, and attack countries because we dissagree with their politics. Maybe those countries don't want our help. Maybe they're fine the way they are. I completly agree with you and your opinioni about America

mudnainah replied...
Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm :
I agree as well! War is not always the answer. If we don't agree with another country, we certainly have no right to force them after all its their country! I mean the Americans would be raged if another country disagreed with our laws. Sooo...Let's let others worry about their countries and work on perfecting our own :-) 

wedontshutup said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 9:06 am:
no offence but that speaks for itself that how male dominated your society is.....

bthrower said...
i don't hate it i just don't believe i exists

savetheplanet said...
You know, I've noticed that most of the negative reactions are from Americans who are just angry because this article is U.S. bashing.  But if you look at the facts of the article, it's absolutely true.

Pumpkinscout replied...
Oct. 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm :
You're right most of it is true

Clopsey replied...
Dec. 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm :
not angry about it criticizing the US, but a few negative statistics doesn't invalidate a country's worth. and it's not a bad thing to be proud of where your from, even if other people aren't. shouldn't every individual be proud of its heritage and culture, regardless of their race, creed, religion, etc?

savetheplanet replied...
Dec. 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm :
It doesn't invalidate the country's worth, but it's also not right to ignore pure facts because you don't like them.

savetheplanet said...
Hey, you're right.  America, for all it's glorified images, is pretty corrupt.  Although it's better than living in some countried, and I like America, that doesn't mean I endorse everything we do.  In fact, I disagree with most of it.

Pumpkinscout said...
I agree we should save our resources and waste less. After all, we are one of the biggest coutries so with so many people using so much, well we can definitely do to cut back on our energy usage. But it's not nice to bash other people's countries.

M.W.M. said...
yeah just forget about the fact that americans are some of the most charitable people on earth, and that the federal gov't spends hundreds of billions of dollars every year providing aid to other nations. just the last couple years millions were spont on haiti, japan, etc.  but dont criticize china which exploits its workers, murder its own people, and doesnt spend a fraction of what the us gov't doesn on international aid =P

Daydreambeliever57 said...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:27 am:
This aarticle is unfortunately mostly true, and as an american i am very ashamed. however, the only part i don't agree with is when you said that we went to war with Iraq over oil. though this didturn out to be true, when we first went to war with Iraq, America was told that Iraq had Nuclear bombs. so that is the only thing you can't really blame the majority for.

Nijuly93 replied...
Sept. 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm :
Didn't read the article, but as far as the title goes: I do! :)

Texas_Horsegirl said...
I am a 16 year old girl living in America. I'm happy with my freedom and our history. Do I have anything to do with the war or anything else you stated? No. I would live the american dream rather than being a woman with no rights in india. I am lucky to be where I am. Stop complianing and find somthing productive to do.

wedontshutup replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:23 am :
btw Women in India got their rights in 1949. i suggest that you don't go by the stereotypes.