How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

CDHLegend said...
Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm:
I disagree, I am American and I believe we (were) a bit trigger happy and power hungry, but the unecessarry  war is over, and America is a great country

ChickenLegHouse replied...
Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm :
CDHLegend, I agree with you on the most part, we have been great and I belive we can be again, but at the moment we are doing a little rough. Simran, you seem very angry, and that is of course, understandable. But take a second and look around, is the average American you see curupted and power hungry? By the looks of what I see people are just trying to make it by right now. And on the subject of thoughs 'unnecesary wars' I'm not going to get into the reasons behind them and all t... (more »)

insovietrussia said...
Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:39 am:
You are just mad because of our energy consumption, also whos millitary has done the most around the world and the most for the UN? Also what is your participation in the war in Afghanistan compared to ours? who killed Osama Bin Laden, the leader of Alqueda? Thats right us, so all of you UK people can shove it.

SimranRazdan replied...
May 11, 2013 at 8:41 am :
Don't even go to the UN. That organization has lost it's meaning , acting like a lapdog to the country. It did nothing when America invaded Iraq because the superpower and biggest contributor cannot be opposed. Even the Guantanamo problem has not been solved because America created it and they have big guns. If this is called steps towards world democracy and global peace, then I have no idea who you're kidding calling the organization or the country democratic when both believe wholeheartedly i... (more »)

radioshaq77 said...
I typically only post positive comments, but this is insanely illogical Ecuador is crippled, because we loaned them money? Ecaudor is being bullied because we're asking our money back? Should we let them keep it. And as to the energy usage, Brazil has implimented excellent laws to preserve the rain forest while keeping up with the needs of humanity. USA uses this much energy because we require it. We're a huge country. You too, are a part of the problem. I don't see where guns ... (more »)

radioshaq77 replied...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:35 pm :
Sorry for the grammar and typos.

natcac This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:57 am:
I find it interesting that America is being blamed for global warming when many countries around the world have a higher population than the U.S. and cause worse pollution.  Also, I would like to point out that Manchester, England was the leading industrial center during the industrial revolution and is one of the largest service-based countries today.  England is a leading industrial country, therefore couldn't Americans throw some of the blame for global warming at England? ... (more »)

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:46 am :
Don't blame England, dude. I'm not blaming anyone, not the U.S., China or England. It makes me angry, 'cos when you say "England should take some of the blame", I'm sat here, like "Oh really?" (I come from England) So, me, a young teenager, someone who helps out ecologically, who's room consists of wind-up radios, wind-up torches and barely any plastic. Me, a teenager who writes articles about how to keep the world safer, who gets protective about gl... (more »)

natcac This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm :
I wasn't blaming only England.  It was just the fact that the article was written by someone from England and had titled it "How Many of You Hate America?".  My family is from England as well, and I am not specifically blaming England for pollution.  I was just retaliating.  I agree that pollution is caused by all the countries and is collective.

Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:04 am :
Sorry, your article just implies that you're like: "OMG NOT AMERICA WE ARE PERFECT WE SHOULD NOT TAKE ANY BLAME". That's all.

DevilDog77 said...
  The article I have chosen to read is a slanderous article, filled with unsubstantiated “facts” of the American rise of consumption and lack of productivity. The paper goes on to call our war of terrorism a war of greedy politicians who had indeed decided to blow up their own source of economic growth for access to Middle Eastern oil. The author, a person from London, UK, is obviously unpleased with not only the American politician, but the average American person. Well, if... (more »)

Megan S. said...
Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:46 am:
We didn't go to war with the Middle East over oil!! We went to war with them because they blew up the Trade Centers- it didn't start as a war over oil, it started as a war over terrorism. Now that we've neutralized the biggest threat, obviously it's moved on to oil because yes, it is America, and majority of America is materialistic, for lack of better words. I don't agree with many things my country is doing, so I do see your point. But the people that are using all these re... (more »)

AlmostPublished replied...
Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:37 am :
Hahaa we did NOT go to war with them because they blew up the Twin Towers. Just because you can do something doesn't make it right.

DevilDog77 replied...
Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm :
If this is your true opinion, you are sadly mistaken. You and all the other conspiracy theorists are what is wrong with the nation.

RonaldMcDonald replied...
Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:32 am :
It wasnt an actual "war" that we went into. it was an opperation. so many of you are wrong just by saying we were at war  

phiRev said...
Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:43 am:
Your essay seems a little all over the place, no offense. You make a quick jump from talking about use of military power to extort things from countries to talking about mindless consumerism. There's nothing wrong with these topics, but it's a bit of a leap between the two. You might want to have those topics flow a little more smoothly into the body of the essay. Also, I'd recommend citing your facts, it will add more credibility. Finally, there's a bit of a problem with the res... (more »)

NewsJunkie said...
Sept. 26, 2012 at 11:57 am:
While I recognize that America has its share of problems, I still am a proud American and consider the US to be a great nation. Although your piece had some factual information it was largely a bashing of the United States. I admit that the United States has many many flaws, including the Republican Party (Lol, just kidding), but next time write something more productive:)

nebraskagirl2178 said...
Although it's a well-written article, it's full of bullsh*t. Yes, we do use a lot of coal and resources, but you know what? We're working on renewable sources. Our government and military are full of murderous, horrible people huh? What about the time we saved your British ass in WW2? Or Vietnam? My grandfather fought in Vietnam and is extremely patriotic. If he could read this, he'd blow up. Maybe you should leave your rock and watch the news.

C_B_Mia said...
What an unfair attack! Where are your sources? This is an extreme view. America has its flaws, but is an amazing place to live. There is no need to hate an entire people. America stands for amazing things, like freedom, liberty, equality... 

AlmostPublished replied...
Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:40 am :
Equality? They nuclear threatened the last nation that tried TRUE equality; Communism. It'snot unfair at all. It may be an amazing place to live and text on your iphone's but the american people are truly ignorant and the governments stupid rich while it posseses to position of the rest of the worlds affairs.

DuctTapedDuck replied...
Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm :
  Ermm... I'm not sure I really understand your argument, AlmostPublished. First you say that Communism is a nation, and then you say that America isn't unfair at all, and then you go on to call all Americans stupid. While I do have a few choice words for you running through my head, I'll try to counter your arguments as logically and as civily? as possible.  First of all, Communism isn't a nation, it's a philosophy that was developed by Carl Mar and wa... (more »)