How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

fandangopink said...
I don't hate America. I just hate the American Government.

Keepusfree13 replied...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:36 pm :
That's a good point. Still, that's one thing. You don't have to say you hate the American government for that. You can say that you disagree with their policies.

Ryant T. said...
I completely agree and I'm American. Our country and constitution were built on democracy and capitalism, two things that are immensely different. We are taught to be greedy and live to spend. It is our purpose. Everything we do is for money and who gets it? The upper class. Who are a lot of the people in the upper class?
The people who in the government.
And who will they protect?
Themselves.
You have to be rich to have power. The rest of us are just peasents.

Sunshineyday said...
I can see where you are coming from, but one thing you must understand is that the government and the people are not the same. WE THE PEOPLE do not always agree with the government. We try to fight it, in many cases. It is the citizens' struggle, and it happens all over the world. I am willing to admit that America's government has done alot of bad things, as do all governemnts, The difference is America had lots of money and as the richest country in the world, the warlords have a ce... (more »)

The Lady Eilina said...
Listen, I am so proud and surprised and happy that this article has made it at all into the top 25. Thank you so much EVERYONE who has voted it well, and keep reading everyone. I will post more stuff soon.
Love ya all!
x

Liz_N11 said...
Oct. 4, 2009 at 5:04 am:
I want to go to London

Ileana R. said...
Also, if we kept putting our guns up to other countries demanding money, how could we be in so much debt?

Ileana R. said...
Considering the fact that America and UK are allies, this isn't a very nice article. It's a well-written article, don't get me wrong! It just doesn't seem rational in my mind.

PK4evr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 8:10 am:
Yeah, I'm an American... haha... and I think that we need to behave more... :P. You speak with really strong feelings against Americans, however. How do you know that all of them are like that? I know America controls a third of the world's wealth- something along those lines- but there are the poor and middle class people here in America that haven't really done anything... like me... then again I'm a teenager... oh well, I like being American and all, but we do mess up a lo... (more »)

heyyy said...
I am PROUD to be an American!

fireflies said...
i love america and don't care what u think. the country i live in is definatly not the worst in the world but you are making it seem like it is. what can i say we do have a lot of power. but we do care about the planet and we are the first to help other countries when they are in need but everyone still hates us. Even though i dont agree with you this was well written!

Tyler Lilja said...
America is a very unfair country. This is a shame what they are doing, somebody needs to put a stop to this unfair treatment

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:04 am :
How is America unfair? We're giving TERRORISTS a criminal trial. If anything we're being too nice to our enemies.

Jessi J. said...
Sept. 22, 2009 at 11:41 am:
The students commenting this article are childish. Quit being immature and acting as if this website is a chat room.
About the article; it was well thought out and researched. I think the leaders of America need to take a second look at what is going on. And the people of America need to also. It's serious, and though the problems that will come of this if it continues may not meet us in our lifetime, it's creating a hassle for the people in the very near future.

wowurcool said...
yeahh i agree with you. America is a great place to live! and answering the question in the title of the artical no i DO NOT hate America :) I am soooo greatful that i live here

Shweta K. said...
Sept. 19, 2009 at 2:20 am:
I see this as a very well-informed and researched article, argued well. I agree with a lot of the points you made, though I think you were misguided in your title regarding "who hates America"; this was more about why America is so flawed.
Someone made a comment about "aristocrats" being "better" in terms of intelligence and so on. I find a flaw in this - so-called aristocrats for the most point these days are only able to get so far in life because of what ... (more »)

zakkw said...
Sept. 17, 2009 at 11:18 am:
america does use many resources but maybe you should look at china first who researchers say in the next 10 years they will need a whole other earth to support them

Cesar C. said...
Sept. 11, 2009 at 11:38 am:
thanks Shane

Kim G. said...
Sept. 11, 2009 at 9:35 am:
lady from london, i didn't find your article very nice. america is awesome and it breaks my heart that you would make an article about who hates america. USA!

Darr K. said...
Sept. 8, 2009 at 2:38 am:
Well yes that is part of the cycle of live, those who are more intleligent, stronger, and better are able to suceed. That is why we have social classes, for us to be at the top there has to be someone at the bottom. Why do we "aristocrats" benefit so much? Because we don't decide to ride through life just trying to get by, we set goals, we suceed, and we never accept defeat. Reffering to our sucess as "crimes" is insulting and an uneeded thing. We are on top, and that me... (more »)

PolartheBard said...
We Americans, I admit, need to look into other sources of energy, if only to save money on the cost of importing it. We've a large store of natural resources such as oil shale in the barren stretches in Alaska. Will we touch it? No. But I digress.
I beg you, look not only to this, my great country, but to others as well. China and India, for example, are just coming into their industrial age. If you want to talk about the wasting of resources, look there as well.