How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

kindyxkandy said...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:18 am:
Alright, I'll give it to you, yes America does use a lot a resources that makes us a little wasteful, but in case you haven't been notified, so do you. Yeah, you waste a little less, but thats only because your country is SO much smaller. If your country was as large as America, it would be wasteful too. Your not American, don't judge our country just because of your clouded view. And also, an educated person would know that a lot of stastics are complete lies, so yeah those might... (more »)

MisplacedTexan14 said...
The author of this doesn't even live in america. I love America. Yes, we have some problems, who doesn't. The UK has health care problems.
And the author says the war is for oil, well her country wasn't attacked in 2001. Maybe the author should worry about her counrty's problems instead of critisizing America.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:30 am :
Stop kidding yourself.  We all know it was for oil.  The War on Terror is all a facade.  And if it was a terrorist attack in 2001, then why in the world did we invade Iraq?  And by the way, we should appreciate opinions from citizens of other countries as they have a different perspective.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:13 pm :
I will only respect the opinion of people from other countries if they give it respectfully, if they say I hate America, I'll say screw you we don't care what you think. This is our country, not theirs.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm :
We????  Who's talking about a "we" here?  Because I care about what they think.  You're awfully presumptuous

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 11:18 pm :
WE as in my family, and the Americans who take offense at a foreigner critisizing their country. WE as in proud Americans, which you don't seem to be.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 12:00 am :

Yes, I am clearly unpatriotic because I respectfully listen to criticism from other countries.

I've always figured it MORE patriotic because from listening to such criticism we can endeavor to make our country better.  By listening to others we can find perhaps previously unseen ways of making our nation stronger.  I have a desire to live in a strong open-minded country intent on betterment, not one closed off and narcissistic like you seem to be advocating.

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm :

Okay, lets start over.

I do not think you are unpatriotic. I also agree that we should listen to other countries and get consrtuctive critisism. It just upsets me when they say they hate America, when they have plenty of problems of their own. America is not perfect, but I am proud of it. I just moved from Texas to California and I hate the way so many Americans seem to hate their country. I hope you are not one of those people. I know some things in America need to be changed, but I d... (more »)

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 7:52 pm :
I think the purpose of the title was to gain attention so that people would hear the message and the facts.  I do not believe it was a personal attack

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 8:14 pm :
That still does not make it right.

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 8:24 pm :
Right is a concept - nothing more.  Your wrong could be the authors right and visa versa.  Nothing can be right or wrong, it can just be.  So you don't agree with the title?  It's a title.  It's a name, albeit flamboyant, but a name nevertheless.  It is incapable of being right or wrong.  If we lived in a world of clearly defined boundaries and rules and regulations, it would be far less complicated.  But here we, no guide, no code.  Right and wrong d... (more »)

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm :
about the wars america is currently involved in...america has killed waaaaaaay more people than 9/11 did trying to topple over 50 goverments since 1945, many for no reaon except to greaten our empire and i think terrorism has become a scapegoat word to make people keep fear, hate, and ignorance in their hearts..so for me personally i do hate america more than i love it

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm :

To greaten our empire????? In case you haven't noticed, America hasn't grown in awhile. Oh, and watch the news once in awhile. Terrorism is a VERY REAL threat to America. There are a lot of people who want to kill us, so maybe a little fear is good, it keeps you on the lookout. I love America more than any other country.

PS Just to show you a difference between America and other countries: On 9/11, 3,000 Americans died. People in Iran and other countries went to the streets and CELEBRA... (more »)

Jan. 28, 2011 at 1:38 am :
our companies have grown, and by extent our richest 2 percent. and honestly i dont see how invading other countries would ever make people not want to kill us, is some country invaded us for say..letting our companies steal the natural resources of other countries there would be retaliation similar to the likes of al qaeda(which dont get me wrong, that organization disgusts me im just trying to prove a point). also, im sure many people cheer when we kill any middle eastern person, just notice th... (more »)

400king said...
Dec. 28, 2009 at 11:30 am:
america is what i call a shared monarchy. we elect a new king ever 4 to 8 years. think about it, the constitution tried to make a fair and equal three branches of gov't yet it's easily seen the president has far superior power. On the eve of the french revolution, where prices and taxes were extremely high, a mere 400 families of the entire contry owned 90% of the wealth and today in our country about 400 families own 90% of the wealth. Maybe our leaders should have paid more attention... (more »)

Jan. 28, 2011 at 1:40 am :
i concur full heartedly my good man

400king replied...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 9:20 pm :
thank you. glad this comment didnt get lost throughout time

Beta Slicer said...
Only one comment; your claim of the article is in the last paragraph only. It would be more persuasive if the claim was woven into the entire article instead of just the last few sentences. That, and, avoid answering your own rethorical questions. Other than that, your article is very well written and overall very nice! Just my two cents.

SilentLust said...
It's better than getting acid thrown in your eyes for speaking to your husband out of turn in Pakistan. I know America isn't perfect, but there is so much worse. The grass isn't always going to be greener. Stick up for what you believe in, but know that there are (some..maybe not a lot, but some) rational decisions behind every choice made.

fandangopink said...
I don't hate America. I just hate the American Government.