How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

Seabosking05 said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm:
We truly are just the gangster of the world

saimne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 1:08 pm :
and the middle east isnt?! you're kidding right ?

1fitzy17 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:44 pm :
Who would win in a fight: 50 Cent of a guy from Al-Queda? Definetly 50, since after being shot 9 times from the hip, might I add, and considering terroists can barely aim (hahaha), I'll put my money on Mr. Jacksin.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 2:47 am :

1.50s a disgrace to rap(only writes about money, women and power), try immortal technique, eminem(some), common, some jay z, tupac, nas, and maybe scarface and tech9

2. would you honestly want to test out the aim of terrorists, not defending them or any violent factions but seriously dude

WANDG4lifeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 9, 2010 at 10:09 pm:
me too! i think every counrty has problems, but we can start a generation of ideas to help with the problems and then the next generation can put those ideas into motion.

Cakai said...
May 9, 2010 at 7:24 pm:
I suppose that Ignorance is International

DayofRain50 said...
I live in america, and i think our country has way too many problems, but so does every other country in the world. Really, the whole entire planet is just a huge mess so America cannot be the the only country to blame. Still, once i graduate i just wanna move somewhere else that isn't on a serious debate or the news every single day.

BlueRain replied...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm :

Yes, I agree. You are correct, there are many many flaws in our country. But as a human race, everyone in the entire world has flaws. Some are more obvious than others, but they are still present.

Please don't blame America as a whole. Don't compare our government to the entire country like you compare one to tree to the entire forest. America is not bad as a whole. The people are not all bad. The reason why it looks so is because the government has been ignoring the will of it's citiz... (more »)

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:19 am :
Instead of saying "well other countries have problems too" perhaps we could get to a point where we decide to fix out problems.  Other countries have problems too, but why whine about problems or pass them off as trivial when we have an opportunity to do something about it.  Go out into the world and do your best to make it better.  In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."  Yes we can excuse ourselves fo... (more »)

Anyone said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 5:41 pm:
Tell me where complaining is gonna get you?

AgnotTheOdd replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:19 am :
This isn't so much a complaint as an informative piece

Silevryn said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 12:59 pm:
Loved the article. Im finally glad to find someone else that supports my opinons about this place.

xoxSHOP said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:54 am:

"The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us."

I'm just wondering, at what point does one go from the "economically enslaved" to an "aristocrat" lording above? As Americans, we don't even have aristocrats... those bankers you are referring to are singular cases, not everyone who has money and is in a position of power in America abuses it.

America has many problems, I will give you that and our political system is indeed flawed, but who are you to criticize a co... (more »)

1fitzy17 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:43 pm :
Right! Our majority is wprking class people. The writer only says aristocrats because they have only seen our pop culture. Sadly, that's our day and age now. Has this person ever even BEEN here? If not, they they have NO business writing off the BEST AND MOST POWERFUL NATION IN THE WORLD!!!

Oct. 10, 2010 at 12:18 am :
we created justin bieber...that vetos us from being the best country autamatically, sorry bout your nationalistic dreams but...i mean common JUSTIN BIEBER..

zebrachic replied...
Feb. 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm :
Actually Justin Bieber is from Canada... just saying..

Mar. 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm :
yeah, found that out a while ago, and ive sice learned turning to the newest pop culture outrage doesnt do much for an argument.

Le B. said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:52 am:

What gives you the right to bad mouth America. America is one of Britain's largest allies and if it wasn't for America then you would probably be living under a Facsist regime right now. There is no possible way that the UK would have won WWII by themselves without the help of the US and the USSR, who didn't even fight for the better of the world, but for the better of themselves. So before you make ludacris statements and opinions you should see how intertwined the US a... (more »)

Le B. replied...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:56 am :
Also relating to the Amazon and Global Warming. The Brazilians actually cut down most of the Amazon in order to make larger sugar cane farms so that they can power their entire country off of sugar cane ethanol which is good for the environment. For Global Warming, you can blame Australia who was the largest Ozone "bubble burst" over their country or China who's energy is powered by 83% coal, which is awful for teh enviornment.

DayofRain50 replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:29 pm :
Just to the environment part, they're also killing thousands of animals and destroying their homes and lessening our oxygen so its not really helping our environment