How Many Of You Hate America?

The common view of things is often different from the reality. They can be twisted, beautiful images that shield us from the truth. Sometimes people should think of it not as a shield, but as a blindfold. Because a world superpower is taking steps too far. By consuming more fossil fuels than is necessary, by standing still and making no military progression when it was needed, and by waging war on a country and attacking soldier and civilians over a mere dispute for oil. This “great” country, is America.

Many people look to America and sigh with envy at “the American Dream” . However, that dream cannot last long, while America is guzzling up precious resources left on a rapidly crowding planet. These figures speak for themselves about the evident greed of America:

Coal > Production
531,822,000 ton

Coal consumption
1,060,000,000

Commercial energy use
8,148.38

Electric power consumption > kWh
3,920,613,000,000 kWh

Electricity > Consumption
3,892,000,000,000 kWh

Gasoline prices
0.77

Geothermal power use
5,640

Natural gas > Consumption
652,900,000,000 cu m

Natural Gasoline > Production
12,275,000 ton

Nuclear electricity generation
780.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear energy consumption
821.1 terawatt-hours

Nuclear reactors operable
104

Oil > Consumption
20,680,000 bbl/day

Oil > Exports
1,165,000 bbl/day

Oil > Production
8,457,000 bbl/day

Oil imports > Net
10,400,000 barrels per day

Oil reserves
22,450,000,000 barrels

Usage per person
8.35 TOE per person

Wall plugs > Voltage
110 V

Wind energy installation
6,740 MW

These crimes are forgivable, as other nations are guilty of many similar crimes, such as Brazilians chopping down the Amazon. But global warming is not the most important aspect that we can hold against America. America has extorted countries beyond the point of recovery. Equador, for example, was reduced to a poor scrabbling wreck once America dealt out loans to them. Now Equador only has 5% of its national budget to spend on public services, whilst the rest of the money goes into paying off foreign aid, almost all of which goes to America. Is this right? Is it fair that Americans can bully nations? Furthermore. America threatens, assasinates, and then goes to war with the presidents of countries who refused to run their countries as they like. The war with Iraq is a simple example. America wanted oil. Iran refused to give for no good reason. Why should we just let them do this to us? Us as a world?
Oh yes, because they have guns!

The U.S.A government is a trigger-happy collection of murderous power figures, They do so much to the world, and yet they have nuclear arms and their military to point at other nations, and say “give me your money!” They succeeded for so long due to pure fear, but now other countries have the chance to strike back. America doesn't have all the power anymore. A single grain of rice can tip a scale. Somehow, America has set in a system which everybody likes. A system where people don't think. Where they impulsively buy items that will break very soon. In America, only 10% of items bought for a house are kept for more than a month, and only 5% of those remain for 6 months. America designs products to be made so they break as soon as possible, but will still leave the client with faith in the product, enough so to buy themselves more.

But who benefits from this system?

The aristocrats do. Right up in their trees, lording over us. There are bankers who awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses whilst creating a recession that would cripple thousands of struggling individuals around the world. This doesn't cause stress for people living on government benefits, but for the people who are just above the poverty line. America makes those people struggle and work every day. It does so by enforcing a system where the elite (namely money-posessing) people take hold. Can nothing be done to create a fair and happy world?

Well, there is something you can do. You can be fair. You can be smart, and you can think before reaching for your credit card while watching an auction channel. You can PAUSE and WAIT before buying that “wonderful new shave”. We have to know our limitations, and stretch them. Whoever is reading this, YOU are the workforce. You are the people economically enslaved. There is hope. You can work together towards goals such as Project Venus, Save The Forests, Oil Conservation, and Fairtrade. These small lifestyle changes will help you sleep at night. How can we sleep after reading this, knowing that we are only here through the turmoil and suffering of potentially hundreds of other men, women and children.

When a child reaches to the future, who will have the heart to say, “we've used it up, son.”

lblume1047 said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 12:43 pm:
We absolutely went to war with Iraq for oil. 9/11 was just good timing. Bush told people that it was because of 9/11, but really when we were supposed to be looking for terrorists, we were claiming major wells and drill sites.

SmileYourBeautiful said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 2:42 pm:

You have a right to your opinion but I’m afraid to say you’ve made some false statements. We went to war with Iraq due to 9/11. Not because of oil? We do not bully nations. You’ve gotten that completely wrong. The only time we ever step in with another country is when we see the wrong doing of people that is not right. And if we gave out financial aid to every country that we have and not had them pay us back, we wouldn’t have any money. Like we pretty much do right no... (more »)

CoolFoxxThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm :
I agree with you, on some aspects.  When we step into a dispute or war, we choose which ones we go into.  We choose because America wants its share of the war profit; whether that be oil, weapons, land etc.

lizzyreilly said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:23 am:

American consumption might seem larger than the UK, but perhaps look at population differences to account for that. 310,877,000 people live in the US. Only 61,792,000 people live in the entire United Kingdom. That's about, if you'll excuse the estimation, five US citizens to every 1 UK citizen. Though, the US does consume 10 times more energy per capita than the UK. The US also produces more energy, though.

I believe that just because a country uses more energy does not mean they are e... (more »)

kateknopp said...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 8:05 am:
all i have to say is forget the government. nobody cares about politics. they're not worth fighting over, so my work is done here. peace

Blackwing said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm:
Thisis pointless. Oil and everything is bound to run down someday. there is no way to conserve it unless everyone stops useing these materials you listed. I bet you, who wrote this. don't even try to help the enviroment or future. You may post topics telling people to stop, but wn't work unless you do it. every single person who helps makes a diffrence.

Eureka. replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm :
Really, who are you to say exactly what this person is doing for the environment? I'm sure this author is doing as much as possible, and writing an article like this is certainly alerting others of the planet we are slowly murdering. You are correct to say that oil and other unrenewable resources have been limited from the begining, and the only thing to do is find another energy source that is helpful to the environment. If every single person on this planet rode bikes to work/school or whateve... (more »)

WelshSam said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm:
I am Britsh also (Welsh), and am frequently disgusted by the ignorance of the average American. I despise the way they call the UK "England" and the way they are so ignorant of the rest of the world. How can they be so?!

Willful_Destruction replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm :
Such a stereotype. You obviously don't know much about (most) of the American school children here, because I am very aware of the outside world, as well as our own government failings/succeedings. You don't live here, you don't know our everday life. You only know of our government, how the rest of the world portrays us, and, as I said, stereotypes. 

AmericanBill replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm :

I am American also (Nebraska), and I am frequently disgusted at the stupidity and close-mindedness of the average UK citizen. I also tend to turn my eyes away when the average UK citizen walks by because I am ashamed to look at their drooling, idiotic face. Why must we keep them on this planet? And furthermore, why should we listen to them insult us about our "immense ignorance" when they themselves are too closeminded to see the facts? I say, be rid of the UK.

(How does it feel?)

Joan39 said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 9:16 pm:
I love little more than books and animals, and little less than closedminded individuals.

AspiringauhorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm:
I'm going to pretend none of the other comments were posted, because most of them were offensive. And now onto the topic of discussion. Your wonderful little article above. My first point: Something you said about Ecuador really was hurtful (to me at least). One, you spelled it wrong. Two, my school does a fundraiser for Ecuador to help education and other things there. I think you are sadly mistaken on what goes on over here... "Across the pond," as you may say. Kindly wait until you live in... (more »)

WelshSam replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm :

"Perfectly fine", yeah, ok.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

AspiringauhorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm :
I didn't necessarily mean perfectly fine in every single way. I meant it as, "we are not a war torn country," "we are not like North Korea..." And if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all - a concept which this author clearly has not grasped yet.

Sammie30 said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm:

I think that some of you need to get out of your little fantasy world where America is always right and amazing. Sure, we have a good Constitution; I'm not arguing with that. A lot of countries have it worse. But we are the variable in the equation that equals global warming.

A + cites + oil= pollution and global warming

A=America

And it wouldn't be as bad if people cared. But most of them don't, and if they do, a lot of them don't do anything. I'm not complaining ... (more »)

Feb. 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm :
Actually, most people do care. I think you just don't care enough to do your research.

EarthGirl replied...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm :
Obviously, if most people cared, there wouldn't be global warming.

EarthGirl replied...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 5:53 pm :
And if you read my post, it's not just America's fault, thank you very much. It's everyone's. All I said was that America was one of the countries that added to the problem. :/

Dreamboat replied...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 2:53 pm :
I think that most people care, its just that most people are not informed of the issue or do not have a way out. In the words of one of my friends " Worrying about the environment is only for the rich and well of". You may not agree with this but i am not talking about Americans or British, Im talking about all the people in Africa and South America that have to burn wood or propane to heat their houses and cook thier food.

Hmmmmmm said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm:
Honey, people do not DIE trying to get in to China or Russia. People have died trying to get into the U.S. That's because we are the first country to have our Constitution begin with "We The People of the United States." That means, the government does not rule us, they did not give us the rights, so they do not have the right to take those rights away from us unjustfully. Get the picture?