Kids Should Vote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Global warming, stock market plunges, housing market at an all-time low, bird flu, and Americans dying in Iraq! When you’re a kid it feels like you’re letting adults plan your future. Adults are voting, but their votes affect the next generation. We are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

In our multimedia-based society kids are exposed to more information than ever. Television, Internet, and satellite news are available 24/7. Polar ice caps are melting, our troops are dying, and people are starving as we watch live. My generation is more aware of what is going on in the world than previous ones. My generation is more likely to be offspring of single-parent families, multi-racial families, and openly gay parents. The world has changed, society is different from when our parents grew up.

Kids are more socially and politically aware; so why can’t we take part in the political process? What would the political environment be like if kids could vote? Perhaps SUVs would be illegal - if you don’t get 35 miles per gallon, you’re off the road. Why are our troops dying in Iraq if no weapons of mass destruction were found? Perhaps we would bring the troops home now, if kids had a say. How come Katrina victims still need help, while we turn away economic aid from other countries? I would vote to accept help from foreign countries. Why does it matter if we agree with their government or leaders if they want to help? Also, my generation doesn’t care who makes up a family. I would vote that families are people who love and care for their children.

My hope is that because children of my generation have more knowledge, they will make the right decisions. My fear is that kids are so busy memorizing Red Sox stats, so concerned with Britney at the VMA Awards or with beating the newest video game, that they may not pay attention to what will affect their lives. On the other hand, don’t some adults focus on these less important things too?

Perhaps only the politically aware should vote, whether they are 14 or 104. If you don’t know how your vote will affect everyone, or how a candidate will govern, then don’t cast a vote. I guess kids couldn’t do any worse.

JONJON2134 said...
Mar. 12 at 8:40 am:
I totally agree, if we ware able to voice our opinions then we could impace our own future in a more direct way. And due to that we wouldn't have to live with the careless almost completely stupid things that adults vote for or do when it comes to the government. But maybe we can lower it to 14 because that seems like a more stable age group from my point of view.

faith1235 said...
Jan. 2 at 2:59 pm:
I am a 12 year old a]nd I disagree completly. Kids most likely don't know that much about presidents wich they will learn more about when their older. They would get bored of the really long speeches thst the candidates make, so the kids wouldn't understand them. Kids could judge the candidates too quickly. Kids might also only chose what their parents or friends say and not what they think. And that is what I think.

graciesings said...
Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:34 am:
I think children voting would be a bad idea. Reason 1.  There are enough stupid people voting that adding mixed-up children to the group could be (more) disastrous.   2.  Children usually have little knowledge of economics.  One of the main reasons the American economy is a wreck is that many adults don't understand economics.  Adding more voters who don't understand simple economic rules, like the law of supply and demand, could send the country ... (more »)

olokai said...
May 28, 2013 at 10:44 am:
i totaly agree with this article but only 10 and up

BY THE WAY said...
May 26, 2013 at 12:53 pm:
BTW teens and children might sometimes be immatures but there are others who care just as much as adults and they might have a different  opinion than them. :) to you too

kat18 said...
katrina here loves to vote for anything.  

sallysunshine12 said...
Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:52 am:
i think we should vote

Bones96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm:
  While you are correct that most adolescents have more information available to them through the internet and news. That doesn't make them capable to take on the responsibility. As adolescents our frontal lobe aren't fully develop till early to mid twenties. (to be clear the frontal lope is the part of the brain that tells us and understands the differences between right and wrong; as well as help make more logical, rational decisions.) Teenagers a lot of the time tend to make ra... (more »)

trip mane said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:55 pm:
yes they should vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazy guy said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm:
i think that kids should be given that responsibility

JayMoney said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm:
I agree with this article because i believe that children should have the right to vote and to have it counted. I fell that is really important as us kids and I take it seriously.

JayMoney said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm:

crazy guy said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm:
kids should not vote because they are not mature enough to be given that responsibility

umadbro said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm:
I think that kids should be able to vote. Its there future and aven thought they may make some bad decisions it is still their right. 

Migs M. said...
Mar. 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm:
Well, the reason we (kids) don't vote it because we are not mature enough.  Most of the kids I have met don't care about politics or the economy.  Also, when the presidential elections come up, they say that they want to vote for someone  but when you ask them why you will most likely hear, "I don't know" and watch them give you a shrug.  This just PROVES that we aren't mature enough, or aren't smart enough to care.

Jay Money replied...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm :
I really do agree with that Miguel 

Xella714 said...
I agree with this completely, but I also think that you have a bit too high of an opinion of kids today. However, adults are clearly flawed too, and its hypocritical of them to look down on us like we're subhuman.

peachymushroom said...

I agree that her article is a little naive on some issues but she definitely brings up a very fundamental issue on civil liberties in modern society that I side with her on. I was reading some of the arguments against allowing kids to vote in the comments and I just wanted to say:

a) the whole argument about kids' votes being a replica of their parents' is not legitimate. At all. Okay let's establish 14 as the age. So they are at least competent enough to walk into a voting booth where... (more »)

jommelyn07 said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm:

"Don't you think kids be allowed to vote."Many people say that kids should not be allowed to vote.That's many people say,but they don't give a reason why kids can't vote,many just say that they can't.They maybe young,but that doesn't mean that they can't make difference.

I believe kids should have the right to vote.Yes some kids are mature enough and could possibly have an important opinion.In some ways no....because most kid... (more »)

24-7 said...

Honey what do you know about voting...maybe what you should do is look at how immature 15 -17 and sometimes 18 year old kids act, and you think adults make the wrong choice HA! it's an opinion by the way and i understand what your trying to say but we choose who we choose and you choose who ever you feel like it so just stop ok :)