Kids Should Vote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Global warming, stock market plunges, housing market at an all-time low, bird flu, and Americans dying in Iraq! When you’re a kid it feels like you’re letting adults plan your future. Adults are voting, but their votes affect the next generation. We are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

In our multimedia-based society kids are exposed to more information than ever. Television, Internet, and satellite news are available 24/7. Polar ice caps are melting, our troops are dying, and people are starving as we watch live. My generation is more aware of what is going on in the world than previous ones. My generation is more likely to be offspring of single-parent families, multi-racial families, and openly gay parents. The world has changed, society is different from when our parents grew up.

Kids are more socially and politically aware; so why can’t we take part in the political process? What would the political environment be like if kids could vote? Perhaps SUVs would be illegal - if you don’t get 35 miles per gallon, you’re off the road. Why are our troops dying in Iraq if no weapons of mass destruction were found? Perhaps we would bring the troops home now, if kids had a say. How come Katrina victims still need help, while we turn away economic aid from other countries? I would vote to accept help from foreign countries. Why does it matter if we agree with their government or leaders if they want to help? Also, my generation doesn’t care who makes up a family. I would vote that families are people who love and care for their children.

My hope is that because children of my generation have more knowledge, they will make the right decisions. My fear is that kids are so busy memorizing Red Sox stats, so concerned with Britney at the VMA Awards or with beating the newest video game, that they may not pay attention to what will affect their lives. On the other hand, don’t some adults focus on these less important things too?

Perhaps only the politically aware should vote, whether they are 14 or 104. If you don’t know how your vote will affect everyone, or how a candidate will govern, then don’t cast a vote. I guess kids couldn’t do any worse.

Bones96 said...
  While you are correct that most adolescents have more information available to them through the internet and news. That doesn't make them capable to take on the responsibility. As adolescents our frontal lobe aren't fully develop till early to mid twenties. (to be clear the frontal lope is the part of the brain that tells us and understands the differences between right and wrong; as well as help make more logical, rational decisions.) Teenagers a lot of the time tend to make ra... (more »)
LChorses replied...
Aug. 18 at 3:23 pm
I would like to point out that you say the frontal lobe is not developed until early to mid twenties. However people can vote starting at 18. I would also like to point out that children know the difference between right and wrong from very early on. Why do you think teenagers are sometimes put in prison for life or even executed if the crimes are bad enough. Because they were very much aware that what they did was wrong.
trip mane said...
yes they should vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crazy guy said...
i think that kids should be given that responsibility
JayMoney said...
I agree with this article because i believe that children should have the right to vote and to have it counted. I fell that is really important as us kids and I take it seriously.
JayMoney said...
crazy guy said...
kids should not vote because they are not mature enough to be given that responsibility
umadbro said...
I think that kids should be able to vote. Its there future and aven thought they may make some bad decisions it is still their right. 
Migs M. said...
Well, the reason we (kids) don't vote it because we are not mature enough.  Most of the kids I have met don't care about politics or the economy.  Also, when the presidential elections come up, they say that they want to vote for someone  but when you ask them why you will most likely hear, "I don't know" and watch them give you a shrug.  This just PROVES that we aren't mature enough, or aren't smart enough to care.
Jay Money replied...
I really do agree with that Miguel 
Xella714 said...
I agree with this completely, but I also think that you have a bit too high of an opinion of kids today. However, adults are clearly flawed too, and its hypocritical of them to look down on us like we're subhuman.
peachymushroom said...

I agree that her article is a little naive on some issues but she definitely brings up a very fundamental issue on civil liberties in modern society that I side with her on. I was reading some of the arguments against allowing kids to vote in the comments and I just wanted to say:

a) the whole argument about kids' votes being a replica of their parents' is not legitimate. At all. Okay let's establish 14 as the age. So they are at least competent enough to walk into a voting booth where... (more »)

jommelyn07 said...

"Don't you think kids be allowed to vote."Many people say that kids should not be allowed to vote.That's many people say,but they don't give a reason why kids can't vote,many just say that they can't.They maybe young,but that doesn't mean that they can't make difference.

I believe kids should have the right to vote.Yes some kids are mature enough and could possibly have an important opinion.In some ways no....because most kid... (more »)

24-7 said...

Honey what do you know about voting...maybe what you should do is look at how immature 15 -17 and sometimes 18 year old kids act, and you think adults make the wrong choice HA! it's an opinion by the way and i understand what your trying to say but we choose who we choose and you choose who ever you feel like it so just stop ok :)

BY THE WAY replied...
PLEASE, don't act so smart coz there are teens who are mature enough to vote. including me, i don't think every teen would go like "oh look at my lip gloss" and "oh i have got a crush on him" and " wow he's hot!"  excuse me but i think i am mature enough to vote you know...:) to you to.
I.M-14 said...
I know a lot of adults that are misinformed or completely oblivious as to what is going on in the outside world.. like older people they don't accept todays ideas and refuse to move on... they live in the past, I'm very educated.. and aware of what is going on in the outside world, why cant i vote?? i think they should lower the age to something ore reasonable, like 16?/
stanley95 replied...
I agree with you just from 15 an up :)
BY THE WAY replied...
i would hate to break this to you but it's NOT in your hand. :P
jaylins said...
Sept. 29, 2010 at 11:07 am
yes i think kids should vote because adults might pick the wrong person that we dont want
BY THE WAY replied...
WHAT? plz use just a bit of complex vocab k? just kiddin you sound :)
MasterKFJ96 said...
This is a great articule which I agree with. Well written.