Kids Should Vote | Teen Ink

Kids Should Vote MAG

Global warming, stock market plunges, housing market at an all-time low, bird flu, and Americans dying in Iraq! When you’re a kid it feels like you’re letting adults plan your future. Adults are voting, but their votes affect the next generation. We are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

In our multimedia-based society kids are exposed to more information than ever. Television, Internet, and satellite news are available 24/7. Polar ice caps are melting, our troops are dying, and people are starving as we watch live. My generation is more aware of what is going on in the world than previous ones. My generation is more likely to be offspring of single-parent families, multi-racial families, and openly gay parents. The world has changed, society is different from when our parents grew up.

Kids are more socially and politically aware; so why can’t we take part in the political process? What would the political environment be like if kids could vote? Perhaps SUVs would be illegal - if you don’t get 35 miles per gallon, you’re off the road. Why are our troops dying in Iraq if no weapons of mass destruction were found? Perhaps we would bring the troops home now, if kids had a say. How come Katrina victims still need help, while we turn away economic aid from other countries? I would vote to accept help from foreign countries. Why does it matter if we agree with their government or leaders if they want to help? Also, my generation doesn’t care who makes up a family. I would vote that families are people who love and care for their children.

My hope is that because children of my generation have more knowledge, they will make the right decisions. My fear is that kids are so busy memorizing Red Sox stats, so concerned with Britney at the VMA Awards or with beating the newest video game, that they may not pay attention to what will affect their lives. On the other hand, don’t some adults focus on these less important things too?

Perhaps only the politically aware should vote, whether they are 14 or 104. If you don’t know how your vote will affect everyone, or how a candidate will govern, then don’t cast a vote. I guess kids couldn’t do any worse.

Jay Money said...
on Mar. 15 2012 at 12:52 pm
I really do agree with that Miguel 

umadbro said...
on Mar. 13 2012 at 1:33 pm
I think that kids should be able to vote. Its there future and aven thought they may make some bad decisions it is still their right. 

Migs M. said...
on Mar. 13 2012 at 12:25 pm
Well, the reason we (kids) don't vote it because we are not mature enough.  Most of the kids I have met don't care about politics or the economy.  Also, when the presidential elections come up, they say that they want to vote for someone  but when you ask them why you will most likely hear, "I don't know" and watch them give you a shrug.  This just PROVES that we aren't mature enough, or aren't smart enough to care.

on Oct. 19 2011 at 9:25 pm
Xella714 BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
I agree with this completely, but I also think that you have a bit too high of an opinion of kids today. However, adults are clearly flawed too, and its hypocritical of them to look down on us like we're subhuman.

Jamestheman said...
on Jul. 28 2011 at 12:34 am
Not all kids, but some.

Facelessness said...
on May. 17 2011 at 6:03 pm
10 and over should vote! Kids should have to decide what party, then be able to vote. If they can decide that sort of thing, then they have enough responsibility to vote. Also, they wouldn't have to. It would be optional for those kids who are stupid enough not to want to.

on Apr. 2 2011 at 9:53 pm

I agree that her article is a little naive on some issues but she definitely brings up a very fundamental issue on civil liberties in modern society that I side with her on. I was reading some of the arguments against allowing kids to vote in the comments and I just wanted to say:

a) the whole argument about kids' votes being a replica of their parents' is not legitimate. At all. Okay let's establish 14 as the age. So they are at least competent enough to walk into a voting booth where you CONFIDENTIALLY have to cast your ballot for whomever you want and nobody would be wiser. Also, parents influence most people's political views long into adulthood at least past the legal voting age now. It's not an excuse to limit youth from voting.

b) kids are naive, think only about themselves, will mess up the system: so why hold only kids up to certain standard and not adults. I will agree that young people cannot and will not always be well informed about all important issues. But then again we are not taking away the right of adults to vote and influence the outcome of these important issues. But really? Adults are not going to make the best decisions about a lot of issues that matter to young people, no matter how much you delude yourself into thinking adults have the best interests of youth at heart. No, and we already see this in current funding levels for education as well as the increasingly restrictive laws directed at youth. The only way the future of young people is secure is if young people are empowered to secure it themselves, not assign their rights and powers to some sort of steward as if they were mere commodities.

In short, kids/teens/youth/young people whatever you call them, don't make the mistake of thinking that chronological age is an absolute measure of intelligence and wisdom and that only the "smart" (by whomever's definition) are eligible to vote. Voting is a basic human right and civil liberty and should be given to all who have a stake in politics.

jommelyn07 said...
on Mar. 10 2011 at 10:57 pm

"Don't you think kids be allowed to vote."Many people say that kids should not be allowed to vote.That's many people say,but they don't give a reason why kids can't vote,many just say that they can't.They maybe young,but that doesn't mean that they can't make difference.

I believe kids should have the right to vote.Yes some kids are mature enough and could possibly have an important opinion.In some ways no....because most kids unlikely to from their own opinion.Some kids see the future and know what changes we need to be fabricate."Kids care just as much as adults,aren't we part of the world.Or,are we going to have to go through another declare on who has the right to vote?"Women and Men have the right to vote,why don't we?Is there any reason why?DOES ANYONE CARE ABOUT A KIDS OPINION?

You see all the tv. commercials with children talking about what type of president they want.Not only should we able to vote for president ,but we need to have say on what gets palced in our country.Also,shouldn't we have the ability to choose has the country in their hands?"If kids where not allowed to vote,kids were be unhappy and disappointed,or mistreated. 

24-7 said...
on Jan. 26 2011 at 3:04 pm

Honey what do you know about voting...maybe what you should do is look at how immature 15 -17 and sometimes 18 year old kids act, and you think adults make the wrong choice HA! it's an opinion by the way and i understand what your trying to say but we choose who we choose and you choose who ever you feel like it so just stop ok :)

stanley95 said...
on Dec. 6 2010 at 8:44 pm
I agree with you just from 15 an up :)

I.M-14 said...
on Nov. 17 2010 at 3:32 pm
I know a lot of adults that are misinformed or completely oblivious as to what is going on in the outside world.. like older people they don't accept todays ideas and refuse to move on... they live in the past, I'm very educated.. and aware of what is going on in the outside world, why cant i vote?? i think they should lower the age to something ore reasonable, like 16?/

jaylins said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 11:07 am
yes i think kids should vote because adults might pick the wrong person that we dont want

on Oct. 24 2009 at 4:29 pm
MasterKFJ96 SILVER, South Hempstead, New York

"Anger is a constant equation, Reason is the variable."

This is a great articule which I agree with. Well written.

on Aug. 4 2009 at 9:08 pm
Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
Actually, I disagree. It's good kids don't vote, because kids base 99% of their opinions from their parents.

on Jun. 9 2009 at 6:17 pm
BookWorm579 PLATINUM, Elk Grove, California

"à cœur vaillant rien d’impossible [nothing is impossible to a willing heart]" -French Proverb

Kids aren't allowed to vote for several reasons. One of these reasons is that many kids are naive. They haven't experienced as much of life as their parents have. Sure, adults often vote on subjects that affect us in the long-run, but one must remember that we will be voting on issues which affect our parents without the experience to know how they will. Another way kids are naive is that we expect instant-gratification. I don't like the Iraq war any more than anyone else, but I know that now that we've completely overhauled its government, we've got to stay there long enough to make sure the country is stable enough to remain a democracy. Every decision has consequences and most kids, including myself, will sometimes forget that.

Kidleader said...
on Jun. 4 2009 at 7:37 pm
We should get to vote Because Its our country as well as yours. we have school assembles on demockray but If we don't wet to vote we might as well live in a communist country. People don't respect us. If they show respect for us we show respect. If they discriminate against us we are going to lose respect for them. ===Grown-ups have told us what to do for to long do this, do that, "We are adults and you are children you do not have the right to answer back!!!" there are other things too: we are judged because of our age, I can't vote cos I'm a kid, but I understand it all. we are judged because of our age. we can't vote because of our age, no matter how much we know about politics. there is so many rights we don't have. the world is prejudice...

on May. 18 2009 at 10:16 pm
hullothere GOLD, Bam, Washington
Wow, Great job, this very much changed my opinion. It gave me a new outlook on voting as a teen. I know many kids in my school who could take on the responsibility and others who couldn't it is a very good topic to explore.

Amyyy said...
on Feb. 14 2009 at 2:55 am
teens could probably vote, but children?! No way! The only reason my little brother would have voted against Obama is that Obama might take away his precious little BB gun. Young kids only care about themselves (most anyway) because they do not realize the most important things. Let kids think and be what they wanna be before they're adults otherwise you'll end up with adults who act like kids!!!

elena said...
on Jan. 21 2009 at 9:09 pm
I partially agree. Children intelligent enough to have there own opinions and are educated about the issue or conflict they are voting on should be able to vote. However, a great majority of kids in the U.S. go only by there parents opinions. This could cause issues with the voting system as it would just replicate their parents voting tacticts.

Bored77 said...
on Jan. 21 2009 at 8:50 pm
I think you made a great point and it is completely true.m Many adults have the right but so do many kids. If some adults that are complete morons that know less about politics than my 7 year old brother can vote so can we.