Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

Bookdragon said...
Haha... you are an LD debator, aren't you? If so, I think I would enjoy running my Neg case against you.  If not, you can ignore this post :D

NicoleS This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i think you're absolutely right in saying that teenagers DO know right from wrong and they know that killing people is wrong, but i dont think that teens should be tried as adults.

i dont think a mistake someone makes as a teenager should ruin their entire lives. kids make mistakes, yes, sometimes monumental mistakes, but they should get a chance to redeem themselves. being tried as a minor and receiving a less severe punishment would allow for a teenager to get his or her life back in... (more »)

TheMesserSandman said...
Jan. 20, 2011 at 12:15 am
A good piece, but I find that the title is somewhat of a fallacy.

Glammie<3girl said...
I completley agree with this topic but 11 years old is way to young but we no what we are doing when we commit a crime say our brains are not devoloped yet is just an excuse to get out of it! We have so much fun doing terrible things because we know our young age can get us out of almost anything so this topic gets a thumbs up for me.

Emo_Kitty724 said...
I totally agree with this. Just because they arent that old, it shouldnt me that they wont get tried as an adult. ^_^

8393929 said...
Jan. 10, 2011 at 9:27 am
hey i am doing a project for debate and i need to know what the writer of this paper does for a living....not too personal just like maybe a teacher...plz respond i need it for my project

dk95 said...
I completely agree with this article. All teens know what is right and what is wrong. If someone does something really bad like killing someone then they should be tried as an adult. the onlt thing I dissagree with is that they should  be tried as an adult when they are 11 years old. I dont think they could mentaly handle that but if they are 14 or older I say try them as an adult! if they are mentaly capable of killing someone then they are deffinitely able to handle prison.

David said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 8:45 am
I just dont really think kids understand ever since i have been able to talk i have known not to kill someone or do bad stuff because ill get in trouble people trying to blame this on saying that are brains are not developed thats a lie its just an excuse to keep killers on the street its people like you that keep saying that they should be charged as adults if you commit a murder you commit a murder you think just going to juvi is going to help you i think putting you in a place where you will ... (more »)

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I'm not going to state my opinion on this topic. I just feel I have to say that this article is very poorly written and backed up with absolutely no evidence.

Seriously, smarten up your piece. I'd like to say this more tactfully, but I can think of no other way to put it at the present time.

fairytalesaretrue said...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 8:45 am
as a teenagers,i think we should trying to be "TEENS" you know what i meant. have fun guys,because until now i think that adult's life is so complicated. share your thoughts :D

whatareyousaying replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 3:39 am
you dont make any sense in your statement

S.S. said...
TEENS SHOULD NOT BE TRIED AS ADULTS.

CP Money Maker replied...
If they can be tried as adults, they should be treated as adults in all aspects of life. If and adult does something to a 16 yr. old the 16 yr. old is concidered a minor, if the 16 yr. old does something to a adult he is concidered an adult. The prosecution wants it their way all the time. I've seen Judges lie right along side of the prosecutor, if they can take your rights they can and will as long as they get a conviction whether they get the right person or not. Don't trust government their liers.

kenziefalls said...
i think its wrong to try kids as adults! they are not fully mature.

HannahRosson replied...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 9:29 am
Ummm Deffinatly not...
Yes people can say kids will be kids or boy's will be boys or even their just children. But saying theie not mature... Ummmm No..
The argument that TEEN'S will not comprehend the gravity of the crime they've commited is an insult to the human mind... Your crazy if you dont thinkik they should be tried as adluts what if a 14 year old decided to kill your mom one afternoon just to do it... You wouldnt wish a life sentence on them...I would.. Just saying...

George1 replied...
Dec. 17, 2010 at 9:03 am
"HannahRosson" is most deffinatly right screw you "KENZIEFALLS"! :)

Metallixrose said...
I think eleve is waaay too young to be tried as an adult you're not even a teen then, which therefore makes the point of this article moot.  

AbstractHuman said...
This is such a debated question. Should teenagers be tried as adults? Well its depends, do our parents teach us that you should think about what you do before you do it? Did your parents teach you to keep yourslef inline? Well you can blame it on the parents but most kids just choose to not listen. Your parents may try to help you become a good person or they might not. But I think that teens should be treated as adults. Its there decision to murder, or do drugs. I myself know someone who does d... (more »)

C@ndyBe@r said...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 9:29 am
well it is proven that the brain of a person isn't fully developed till around age 18. so you have to look at the situation in which the teen did the crime. and what was their motive.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Early twenties, actually. The pro-frontal cortex (decision making part of the brain) doesn't fully develop until you're around 21-22.