Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

Allthegoodnamesaretaken said...
Mar. 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm:
I disagree. I'm a teen so I know that teens know right from wrong but that's not really the arguement. The more important arguement is that teens are affected by: hormones, peer pressure, alcohol & drugs (admit it, most of us have already started all that & it affects us more cuz we're JUST NOW strting it), arrogance, the need for freedom, anger, etc. more than adults. I agree with that. I'm not affected so much by peer pressure, but I will admit the rest have affected me and made me wan... (more »)

eshsgirl2012 replied...
Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm :
I agree with you. Step up to the plate and be a man! (A woman in my case) We commit the crime, like something severe throw us in jail. We commit something minor, punish us so we learn not to do it again.  Simple as that.

ang365231 said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm:
Well, I think that they SHOULD be.... but not as kids ._.! Like, if you were a kid that shot ur mom.. u should go to juviniel(yes... idk how to spell :PP) THEN at age, lets just say... 21 yrs. old, u should be going to jail. I dont know... its my opinion :D

love2012 replied...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm :
its supposed to be an e instead of i

bhjevjk said...
Feb. 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm:

yes i think they should be punisht because there no good people shut up nooobs

killa247 replied...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 10:18 am :
smd who ever think that

chicken-nuggets3345 said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 8:56 am:
kids/teens should only be tried as adults when it comes to murder.. if you ask me anyone who can murder should be more than happy to receve the death penalty..

the rook replied...
Mar. 5, 2011 at 10:27 am :
really? I always thought the death penalty was a little harsh, even for mass murderers. I'm not saying that they don't deserve it, but if we turn around and kill them, are we really better than them? What if they were mentally ill when they committed the crimes, what if they were actually uncable of remorse. I don't know it's just my opinion though, i feel like anyone who needs to kill people to feel powerful is sad, and killing them would just brush the problems aside

mizzshantel replied...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm :
I agree with you if you can think of murdering someone then you and go to prison. there is to much tv that explain the consequenceses on murder or any other criimal actions.

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm:
ok please, if you're trying to write an essay, make it at least 3 paragraphs. 5 or more is the best, but at least five. but you do prove some good points (even if i dont agree with all of them, but i won't go on about that). but in all honesty, i don't know why this piece is in the magazine.

chicken-nuggets3354 replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 8:52 am :
chickens should be given rights too!!!

ohsnap :P said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 10:29 am:
wow....you spelt whether wrong :P

bnljack said...
weather we know what were doing or not, (which we do) is irrelivant. we cant vote, drink, smoke, marry, own property, or sign a contract, because "were too young". if we were tried as adults that would be a huge double standard

llamas4hats replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 10:26 am :
you spelled wether wrong.

ohsnap :P replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 10:30 am :
haha i <3 you....creeper staus O.o

yourmother replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm :
hahahahah i was like wow this comment looks familiar

smartkid replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:08 am :
Dude.. you spelled "whether" wrong too....

Bookdragon said...
Haha... you are an LD debator, aren't you? If so, I think I would enjoy running my Neg case against you.  If not, you can ignore this post :D

NicoleSThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i think you're absolutely right in saying that teenagers DO know right from wrong and they know that killing people is wrong, but i dont think that teens should be tried as adults.

i dont think a mistake someone makes as a teenager should ruin their entire lives. kids make mistakes, yes, sometimes monumental mistakes, but they should get a chance to redeem themselves. being tried as a minor and receiving a less severe punishment would allow for a teenager to get his or her life back in... (more »)

TheMesserSandman said...
Jan. 20, 2011 at 12:15 am:
A good piece, but I find that the title is somewhat of a fallacy.

Glammie<3girl said...
I completley agree with this topic but 11 years old is way to young but we no what we are doing when we commit a crime say our brains are not devoloped yet is just an excuse to get out of it! We have so much fun doing terrible things because we know our young age can get us out of almost anything so this topic gets a thumbs up for me.