Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

Adamrameau said...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:14 am
i dont think teens should be tried as adults because the part of your brain that makes descions doesnt develope until you are 21 years of age and so that is why

deneerenee9 replied...
Ummm actually your brain doesnt FULLY develop till you're 30...so does that mean everyone under 30 who committs a crime shouldnt be tried as an adult? Everyone needs to stop with the "your brain development" theory its a bunch of bull, at age THIRTEEN you should know taking a human life or RAPING someone who SAYS NO is WRONG. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions, dont try and baby teenagers. You do the crime you do the time.

PurpleMidnight said...
Now, it really depends on the scenario. If they are mentally disabled then that's a completely different scenario. I think that when you are a child you know what's right and what's wrong. I think anyone 10 and up can be tried as an adult. It does not that the mind is not fully developed, its developed enough to know what they are doing is wrong and they will be punished by it.

Aitana L. said...
I think it also depends on a teens age. if the teen is from 12-15 maybe they are still learning. But either way they should know what is right or wrong

sharksrockstar said...
Many people say that the teen mind doesn't work the same as adults. This may be true, but the teen mind DOES know the consequences of murder and that should be enough. If you murder, you commit a crime. The consequences should be the same for everyone. A murder is a murder. Someone's life was lost for no reason.

stewiesgrrl said...
yes they should kmow the consequences but you gotta remember the teen mind is not fully developed until they are 26. and what if they are meantally disabled.

101dee202 said...
Mar. 19, 2009 at 2:43 am
Yea they should know the consequences

lolita cagada replied...
they should know it but they dont have to do the consecuences ok

jadybug214 said...
This is a great article and i totally agree with it! all teens want is to be treated like adults...that should mean in everything they do. if anyone knows any other articles on this same topic please email them to me

teengrudge replied...
You need to develop a brain and some sympathetic abilities if you agree with this atricle!

zombieslayer said...
yah i mean which teen wouldn't know what is right and wrong ill tell yah any one smart

LOAP replied...
The reason why people think teens do not know right and wrong stems far deeper than memory loss. Over the centuries, humans have tried to deny the existence of personal sin because they do not want to be guilty of any of their actions. John 3:18 onwards easily explains it: men hate the light because it exposes their evil deeds. Scientists and researchers are doing this because they do not want to admit that there is a God who they are accountable to. Don't believe me; you just proved m... (more »)

htegsdfsg replied...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 10:28 am
Rough Draft The world is changing economically, industrial and in ideologies. What a person can or can’t do. At what age are children allowed to do certain things? Who can do what and who can’t? A major issue society is facing is teens. When are they technically considered adults, and how they can be punished for adult crimes? Teens shouldn’t be put in jail. These adult facilities aren’t designed for teen s they are designed for adults. This is a very controversially t... (more »)