Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

CrackerJack said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm:
The problem with your claim is that you seem to view the problem in black and white.Teenagers know the difference between right and wrong; therefore, they should be tried as adults. However, it is not a black and white, true/false, yes/no situation. There are different degrees of mental stages of development. There have been several studies and theories by psychologists (Freud, Piaget) that show the moral growth of a person. While teenager might know that murder is wrong, he would not have the s... (more »)

Joehip replied...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm :
I know teh diff betwen write and wrong and left sence I was young. Yur argumant is inalud.

CrackerJack replied...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:31 pm :
You realize that it is your argument that cannot be taken seriously because of your poor spelling, grammar, and syntax? If you wish to engage in a civilized discussion please use proper English.

CrackerJack replied...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm :
I assume you are being facetious. However, your comments are not humorous, rather they make you appear uneducated. I would appreciate it if you either respond appropriately to my comments or cease with your badgering.

CrackerJack replied...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm :
I doubt you are old enough to attend middle school, much less a war.

Joehip replied...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:42 pm :
Well sir, you must realize that the people at the staffing office didn't ask me what I knew, but rather what I could learn. What i learned was rifle use, coordination of effort and a firm sense of patriotism and a strong value in leadership. Such things as proper English and grammatical structure didn't apply in a warzone.

CrackerJack replied...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm :
lulz this is ten ink old dud

Joehip replied...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm :
I happen to be nineteen, I fought in Vietnam

FailedLilyPad replied...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 7:40 pm :

Off topic much?

First of all, Joehip, you couldn't have fought in Vietnam if ur 19.

CrackerJack, shall we not???

ashleighboo! said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 10:44 am:
i got this judge hes judge grimes and he be tryna put me up in juvy but he keeps puting me on house arrest instead.

Laney_lou said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 6:28 pm:
I think that the age limit for being tried as an adult should be MINIMUM 20. Color has nothing to do with it. Our brains are all the same color and THAT is the reason teens make stupid decisions. Our Brains are not fully developed yet. Were lacking our decision making, rational thinking, and predicting consequences long-term.

deneerenee9 replied...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm :
20? are you kidding? im 19 and ive known since i was 10 that killing is bad. There is absolutely NO excuse to kill. Our brains arent fully developed yet? PLEASE. dont make excuses for teen murderers. Our brains arent totally developed yet, but im pretty sure we know that killing is bad LOL. Seriously? Come on, wake up, GROW up, its people like you that make teen killers KEEP COMMITTING CRIMES!!!

sexilady777 replied...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 11:06 am :
aight. heres my deal: just because u think someone should be tried as a teen if they are a teen s not making excuses. a teen is a teen. a teen is gunna believe something different than an adult would cuz theyre just that...A TEEN. teens do stupid things, yea, but sometimes instead of throwing them in jaail, they need help. now if u murder someone, its bad. but maybe u killed em cuz u didnt know how else to handle it. that shows that u werent thinkin straight n need help. i aint sidin wit murdere... (more »)

rcrev2010 replied...
Mar. 16, 2010 at 12:34 am :
I agree with deneerenee9. Majority of teens have been brought up knowing between right and wrong. Why would you set an age limit at 20 if your legally an adult at 18? Are you saying your still immature at 18? If your allowed to vote at 18, then you should be mature enough to know that murdering someone is bad. And the whole brain development THEORY! Seriously lacking decision making? So your saying a teen can't decide on anything? Rational thinking? So you can't decide on something wit... (more »)

NaNae said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm:
i had my first child at 14 i am now 18 and i knew that having a baby that early wasnt right but mistakes happen there should be no slack on these teen mureders

GagaOohLala. said...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 1:57 pm:
I know teens know from right and wrong, but seriously, they should be tried for WHAT THEY ARE--teens. Because in adult prisons, they're surrounded by people who most likely committed more serious crimes. How can they learn from their mistakes if they're in adult prisons? After all, the juvenile jails i know of consist of therapy sessions and help so they can grow up mature and responsible. Some people may say it depends on the crime, and I agree on the magnitude of the punishments. But... (more »)

deneerenee9 replied...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 3:22 pm :
How can you say that adults probably have committed worse crimes? Yeah right, an adult female kills her husband, and a teen kills their brother. SAME THING. It doesnt matter whose was worse, its the fact that they committed that crime!!!!

marie679 said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 7:01 am:
its not fair for teens to be tried as an adult....Yes, its true everyone does stupid stuff but that doesnt mean we dont deserve a second chance...right now teens that are of color are the ones getting charged and i dont agree with it....When teens caommite murder,or rape someone....thats when they deserve time....but no a life sentence

USUXBIG1 said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 10:13 am:
I think is someone, juvenile age, murders someone, they should be tried as an adult. I am 13 and I know it is wrong. If you think about it, if your tried as a juvenile if you murder someone, you get less the sentence and they get out sooner thus they could commit the same crime faster, if they were to.

xLaFrekitax3 said...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 8:53 am:
Well , i currently think that teens under 17 shouldnt be tried as an adult becuase they oviously dont know what they are doing . We teen's theese day's know what we do butt dont ack like it . We know whats wrong and whats right but when some thing pop's outt in our mined's we dont care and do what we want too do . but yeah some times we have to do thing's cuase it's eather you do it or your family gets involved . So yeah i think that teen's under 17 SHOUlDNT be... (more »)

deneerenee9 replied...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 3:25 pm :
ummm people under 17 do too know what they are doing...you're saying a 16 yr old doesnt know that killing or raping someone is bad? Give me a break. I knew that was bad since I was 11. Obviously we know what we're doing because there are some teenagers who go their whole life WITHOUT KILLING.