Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

All2gether said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 7:07 am

It all boils down to a chemical imbalance.  It is a fact that teenagers are going through that change, some are affected differently and have no idea that this hormone embalance is the root to them not being able to control their actions.  I don't think they should be tried as adults because of this, not ever person is the same.  Granted we know killing is wrong, but what happens when a teenager is going through that hormonal change and has all this pressure coming from differe... (more »)

RawrDino:) replied...
Chemical imbalance? Hormones? Really? I'm your average, ordinary teen and I have never killed anyone. Everyone deals with hormones and brain development until they are in their 30's.  Are you implying that everyone under the age of 30 shouldn't be viewed as an adult?

tank_nash said...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 11:20 am

DUDE ARE U CRAZY?????? 11 YEARS OLD???? COME ON NOW!! U REALLY SHOULD RETHINK ALL OF UR ESSAY!!! CUZ SCIENTIFICALLY NOT ALL TEENAGE BRAINS ARE DEVELOPED ALL THE WAY SO THINK ABOUT THAT ONE HOT STUFF

cookiemonsta85 replied...
i think 11 is good...i mean come on even 8 year olds know that killing is wrong

thoughtfulsoul replied...
I just wanted to clear up that in this article it said anyone over 11 should be tried as an adult.

kaileeboo said...

i think that teens shouldnt b tried as adults cas they can b on there record forever and as teens we do stupid things and that should not hold us against a job and many other things

Robkingett This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i agree with u completely. just a question, Your claims however are very weak. Did you ever take debate?

CrackerJack said...
The problem with your claim is that you seem to view the problem in black and white.Teenagers know the difference between right and wrong; therefore, they should be tried as adults. However, it is not a black and white, true/false, yes/no situation. There are different degrees of mental stages of development. There have been several studies and theories by psychologists (Freud, Piaget) that show the moral growth of a person. While teenager might know that murder is wrong, he would not have the s... (more »)

Joehip replied...
I know teh diff betwen write and wrong and left sence I was young. Yur argumant is inalud.

CrackerJack replied...
You realize that it is your argument that cannot be taken seriously because of your poor spelling, grammar, and syntax? If you wish to engage in a civilized discussion please use proper English.

CrackerJack replied...
I assume you are being facetious. However, your comments are not humorous, rather they make you appear uneducated. I would appreciate it if you either respond appropriately to my comments or cease with your badgering.

CrackerJack replied...
I doubt you are old enough to attend middle school, much less a war.

Joehip replied...
Well sir, you must realize that the people at the staffing office didn't ask me what I knew, but rather what I could learn. What i learned was rifle use, coordination of effort and a firm sense of patriotism and a strong value in leadership. Such things as proper English and grammatical structure didn't apply in a warzone.

CrackerJack replied...
lulz this is ten ink old dud

Joehip replied...
I happen to be nineteen, I fought in Vietnam

FailedLilyPad replied...

Off topic much?

First of all, Joehip, you couldn't have fought in Vietnam if ur 19.

CrackerJack, shall we not???

ashleighboo! said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 10:44 am
i got this judge hes judge grimes and he be tryna put me up in juvy but he keeps puting me on house arrest instead.

Laney_lou said...
I think that the age limit for being tried as an adult should be MINIMUM 20. Color has nothing to do with it. Our brains are all the same color and THAT is the reason teens make stupid decisions. Our Brains are not fully developed yet. Were lacking our decision making, rational thinking, and predicting consequences long-term.

deneerenee9 replied...
20? are you kidding? im 19 and ive known since i was 10 that killing is bad. There is absolutely NO excuse to kill. Our brains arent fully developed yet? PLEASE. dont make excuses for teen murderers. Our brains arent totally developed yet, but im pretty sure we know that killing is bad LOL. Seriously? Come on, wake up, GROW up, its people like you that make teen killers KEEP COMMITTING CRIMES!!!

sexilady777 replied...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 11:06 am
aight. heres my deal: just because u think someone should be tried as a teen if they are a teen s not making excuses. a teen is a teen. a teen is gunna believe something different than an adult would cuz theyre just that...A TEEN. teens do stupid things, yea, but sometimes instead of throwing them in jaail, they need help. now if u murder someone, its bad. but maybe u killed em cuz u didnt know how else to handle it. that shows that u werent thinkin straight n need help. i aint sidin wit murdere... (more »)