All of the Unknown and Forgotten

Author's note: I created this back in eighth grade and worked on it through my freshman year. A shame I will never finish it.
Author's note: I created this back in eighth grade and worked on it through my freshman year. A shame I will never finish it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

January 17

1/17/13
6:05 A.M.
Dear Crystal's Diary,
This is Allainai writing in place of Crystal. She is . . . still in the hospital. I've been told that she has suffered some major head trauma that has caused some damage in the part of her brain that controls her memory. She can remember who she is, and she can name all the people at home no problem; she can even remember short-term things! That's a good sign, right?
The only thing is, even though she knows who we are, she doesn't know who we are to her. I don't understand it at all. She doesn't know that she's friends with Rose, that I live with her and she tells me EVERYTHING, and worst of all, for me, she can't remember that Taylor is the one boy I truly believed that she loved. Like, when-they-get-out-of-high-school-they're-gonna-get-married love.
It's so bad. When that car hit her, I just thought that she had died. I actually almost wish she had. She doesn't know anybody at school anymore. Everyone is going to come up to her and tell her that they're glad to see that she's okay, but none of it is going to come through.
She'll be back at school on Monday, but I'm scared. She doesn't even know what happened to her. If anyone could have seen her; on the street or in the hospital, everything was just awful. Her face was very badly beat up. She's not that beautiful girl that looked like she could be a model anymore; she's now just a shell of that beautiful girl.
There's no way to explain how she looks now; just below average. I'm sure makeup could hide what happened to her, but someone could always see some scar that marks her face . . .
I fear the day she goes back to school. Thankfully, the doctors made her wait until the abrasions (?) healed on her face and arms. She had broken a couple bones in her face, two ribs were fractured, and her ankle was broken and shattered. She will never walk the same; they're making her leave with a brace.
She was so close to death. Her heart stopped twice, while they were trying to save her. And after they got her stable, they had to keep constant surveillance on her for at least a couple weeks.
Now, she is pretty much better, but her memory is affected. She will feel like the new kid at school. I don't understand how the human brain works, but the doctor was saying that what happened to her shouldn't have. He said it's the strangest memory loss case he had ever seen. Apparently, Crystal had something wrong with her brain to begin with.
"If she can't remember those people at school, she shouldn't be able to remember the Trig that she learned over the summer," he said to me when I asked him what he meant.
"So, that means, before . . . the accident, I knew who you were, Allanah?" I started crying then. The doctor asked me what was wrong. I was ready to puke.
"My name is not Allanah, it's Allainai, and I've lived with her since last year. We know everything about each other! And she can't even remember me, no matter how much I tell her everything AGAIN!"
I stormed out of the hospital to Mom, wanting to die. I miss the old Crystal. . .