Patricia's Notebooks

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Chapter 3

After dinner, we decided to go outside and just explore the property. On the top of the hill, where the two buildings rested, there were only a couple small trees. Everywhere lower was covered with different varieties of trees scattered about. On the top there was a very overgrown garden.

“My parents say they’ll work on the garden when we get a little more settled in,” Emily explained.

“What’s that?” I asked, pointing to a small structure hidden partially by a birch tree.

“That’s just an old gazebo. My parents are planning on tearing it down.”

“What? Why?” I ran over to it and saw it wasn’t that old. It seemed it was once painted white but was badly in need of a paint job.

“I guess they just think it’s unattractive,” she explained.

“Well I definitely agree with that, but they could just paint it or something.”

Acario was studying the ground. “What’s that?” he asked pointing to a spot on the ground.

“What’s what?” Emily asked.

“That right there,” he said as he walked over to the spot next to the gazebo. I saw something shiny peek out from under a small pile of leaves. He bent down and brushed the leaves away. It was a little plaque that read, “In memory of Jasper Jones.”

“It must have fallen off the Gazebo,” I said as I picked it up. “Who is Jasper Jones? Was he one of the owners?”

“Well,” Emily started, “the owners that owned it before my family’s last name was Carter. I think they only owned it for like a couple of years though. I don’t really know.”

“Maybe we can google it,” I suggested.

“Except for the fact that there is like no Internet at all in this town,” she said.

“Right,” I said, “what if when we go to the library tomorrow we try to find a book that mentions Jasper Jones or the Jones’.”

“Are you kidding me?” she said, “that could literally take years and besides if we find something that mentions the last name Jones, well, it’s such a common last name that we won’t know if its him.”

Acario piped in, “We could ask someone in the town. It’s such a small town that people probably all know each other. Right?”

“That’s not such a bad idea,” I said, “I’ll bring the plaque with us.”

“Okay,” Emily said, “Let’s go inside now. It’s getting dark.” We retreated inside for a game of Monopoly with our parents. After that, everyone, including the parents went to bed.