When is Love Friendly | Teen Ink

When is Love Friendly

September 29, 2011
By crazyreader14, LaSalle, Colorado
More by this author
crazyreader14, LaSalle, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some just happen to be at the right place at the right time."


Author's note: I learned the same thing Lexi learned early in my life. This story was inspired by all the friends I've ever had.

“ I can't believe it!” my friend, Hannah, said that day on the bus. “ We just started our freshman year, and I'm already dating my dream guy.” I was glad my friend was happy, but I couldn't believe she was so marveled about a guy. I was not one to date. I'm a tomboy, and I'm proud of it. I am under-grown and haven't hit puberty. I was only 13, too.

Ugh, I thought to myself under a sigh. I can't believe that she's wasting her time with this guy. He isn't even worth looking at. It was true. Her “dream guy” was a little wimpy. He had what looked like acne all over his face, pale white skin, and dark brown hair. His name was Bryan, too.

“I'm so thrilled that you found a guy you like,” I choked out. It was true, in a way. I mean before she started dating him, I didn't stop hearing about him. Finally, sick of listening about him, I told her “Then why don't you ask him out.” I had meant for it to be sarcastic, but she thought I was serious. “ Great idea, Lexi,” she said as the bell rang. She left before I could explain that I was being sarcastic. Now, I'm stuck listening to her going “lovey-dove” over the fact that they were going out.

“ We need to get you a boyfriend,” Emma, my other friend, said. A boyfriend! It was bad enough that I had to dress-up for any job interview ( including make-up) I tried. I hadn't had a boyfriend in so long. I hadn't asked a guy out in so long. The last time, he turned me down so rudely, we were worst enemies until I moved away. I haven't dated a guy since. The closest I got to dating a guy was a relationship that never left the “friends” stage.

Now, both my friends are dating their “dream guys” while I hold the longest record known to teens of staying single. I was working on 2 years, and, look what happens. My friends leave me in the dust for love to mess with. I'm not about to get a boyfriend...

Then again, I did have a crush on a boy. His name was Jacob. He was Hispanic, though. I know, a white and a Hispanic would be a little weird, but I'm not racist. He's what I call hot. There is another problem. He's a popular one. Every time I turn around, I see him hugging a girl. One day, when he was late to Science, the teacher remarked that she saw him in the hall, kissing on his “girlfriend.” I knew there was no way I would get him. Not even my “friends” scheme would work for another 4 years before he noticed me.

That's why I'm single. I always fall for the popular guys, and I never get enough time to get past the stupid “friends” stage. I'm okay. Now, I get good grades, and I read as many new books I can from the library. I listen to Taylor Swift all the time. Her songs are my word, thoughts, and strength, but I only listen to the ones that are about getting over relationships and stuff like that. I don't like the one s with love. Still, I would change my ways if I had a shot at Jacob. I would dress-up. I would listen to the love song that Taylor Swift does.

Still, it didn't look like I would have a shot at him. I wish for about the millionth time that I wasn't a tomboy. Little did I know, I may get a chance to start the “ friends” stage sooner than I thought.

So far, my week was horrible. I had turned 14 and got stung by a bee, for the first time, in one day. I had to get myself into all the systems in 1 day. On top of that, I had to work on all my homework. It was all too much, but I saw Jacob quite a bit. I didn't mind sharing a glove with him when we were on different teams for softball, but when I got the glove, it was as if he poured a bunch of water into it.

Friday was the day of relief. It was an easy day. The only problem came during PE. We were playing a mix between dodge-ball, kickball, and softball. This was my kind of sport. It was my 3rd time of kicking that was the problem.

Feeling that I could make it to the next base, I ran with all my might. Then, I saw Jacob standing in the way. I slowed down so I had time to estimate the distance I had left to turn. Then, I saw he had the ball. I had to think fast. Before I knew it, I crashed right into him.

I was on the ground before I finished calculating what had happened. As far as I could figure out, I flew back ½ a foot, did a 360 turn, and landed flat on my stomach, a few inches from his feet. I could tell he thought it was funny. He was doubled over, laughing, and walking away, obviously so he wouldn't fall over. My friend, Hannah, was over me by the time I calculated everything. At least someone cares enough to come see if I was okay, I thought as I got up, by myself, to show I was ok. I started to laugh so no one would notice how watered my eyes were.


Monday was better. Jacob was in my 2nd period class, though. I would have to get him to apologize. The chance came when we got up to change seats. As everyone moved to the side of the room, I pulled up by him. “Thanks for making sure I was okay, Friday,” I said sarcastically. He was completely surprised. Then he started to laugh.

“I'm so sorry,” he said. He said it quiet a few times, too. I told him it was all right. He even asked if I was okay, and I, naturally, said I was. Then we got moved to new seats.


Later, I asked my friend, Hannah, who would be a good guy for me. She was shocked, but, eventually, she said Jacob. I nearly choked on my water. Jacob! How had she found out? I decided to ask.

“It's the way you look at him,” she replied. I guess I wasn't as careful as I wanted. I had to get over it. So I came up with a plan.

When Friday came, I set it to motion. Hannah wanted Bryan to hug her, and I wanted Jacob to ask me out. I knew what I had to do. “How about a deal?” I offered. She stopped. There was a deadly silence between us three. I knew I had her.

“What's the deal?” she questioned. Her eyes where ablaze with curiosity. I got her attention, I thought. I was ready to pull it off.

“ If you can get Jacob to ask me out before homecoming, I will do you favors for a week, and I will admit I was wrong,” I said with certainty. She was shocked. I never made such a bold statement like this. I wasn't finished, yet, though. “ If you can't, you have to do me favors.” Now I had her.

“ I need sometime to think about it,” she said. I decided to give her the weekend. That was okay with her, however.


She chickened out. Of course, she did. She doesn't need the trouble. She was going out with her dream guy. I was pretty mad. I would have to figure a new way to get Jacob's attention, and I knew just how to do it.

My plan was set up quite nicely. I had Jacob talking to me. Now it was time to move in, slowly. I knew how to get through, too. So, the only question was, how rusty was I at sports? Guess I would have to figure that out.

PE was the perfect place to get his attention. All I had to do was be good at sports. Then, he would start picking me for his team every time. I was already acknowledging that he was good at sports, someone you want on your team, and I also followed his advice on who to choose for the team, in return. Even when I didn't get on his team, I was still cooperative with him.



The day had come. It was time to spring the scheme. I learned that his girlfriend had cheated on him. It was very unlikely for him to get together with her. I was ready to do it. I just needed the nerve to do it. Don't chicken out,I told myself. It's now or never.


I had approached him. No turning back now, I thought. Then, I got on with it.

“Can I ask you for some advice?” I asked him. Why didn't I ask him to give me some help in Spanish? I thought to myself. It was too late because I had asked for advice.

“ Sure,” he promised cooly. “ What do you need to know?” He was making me feel strangely comfortable about this. This was going to be easy.

“ I need some dating advice. I have a crush on a boy, but I just don't know if he likes me in return,” I explained. “He's always dating someone. So, can you help me?” I held my breathe. Surely he would figure out my plan, for it was one of the most used plans in dating history. He smiled, however.

“ Well, you should talk to him,” he said. “ If he is you I think he is, ask him to homecoming. Surprise him.” He winked. Of course he caught on. He was telling me what he wanted a girl in my shoes to do. I smiled. My plan had worked. Time to spring in the note.

“Could you do me a favor?” I asked, sweetly. His smile got bigger. I knew it was coming.

“ Sure, anything you ask.” His eyes gave him away. He knew good and well where I was going. I could feel it.

“ Could you give this note to the one who it's addressed to?” My voice steamed out slicker than water. I handed him the note. He looked down and smiled. He slowly opened it. He sat and read the note and looked back up at me.

Jacob drew his pen out of his backpack and drew a check. After he had folded it and handed it back, he walked off. I tried very hard not to tear the paper as I fumbled to unfold it. I couldn't believe it. He had checked yes. He and I were boyfriend and girlfriend.


Word travelled quickly about Jacob and I. All the girls expressed behind me, bombing me with questions, like “How did you do it?” and “ Are you going to homecoming together?” Shoot, I thought, when this question hit me. I forgot about homecoming. Jacob happened to be walking with me to PE, with his arm laced around mine.

“ Yes,” he said. I was shocked. Here he was, arm in arm with me, and he was saying that we were going to homecoming. My day couldn't get any better.

At lunch, Jared, my best friend, came up. He seemed very happy. His grin was spread ear to ear. As I looked to my other friends, I saw a grave look on their faces, but that didn't bother Jared. He kept his hands behind his back.

“ So, Lexi, did you have anything planned for Homecoming?” His eyes twinkled in delight. Too bad, it looked like all this happiness was going to die. I could see it, but I had to.

“ Yes,” I was crushed I had to do this, but I already had plans. “ Jacob is taking me,” I continued. Everything inside his eyes died. I could tell in his grayish eyes that he was fighting the tears. I couldn't bear it, so I left. Hannah and Emma followed, leaving Jared alone with Ty.

“ Why did you let him?” I yelled at them. Leaving them there, stunned, I left to sit by Jacob.

“ Hey,...” He paused. Uh oh, I thought, he's figured out something is up. What do I tell him? I looked into his deeply concerned eyes. I had to say something, but what? That my best friend just tried to ask me to homecoming? I don't think so.

“ I better go,” I said. “ Don't want to be late. See you next period.” Some excuse, I thought. He knew me, luckily. I got up and left.

“ See you, hon,” he called. Fighting all tears, I left. I rushed for the bathroom to compose myself. When is love friendly, I thought to myself as I entered the empty bathroom.



The bus ride home was quiet. I sat away from everyone, even Hannah and Emma. I got out my book and began to read it. Charlotte came up and sat down. “ I can't believe you,” she snapped. That's coming from a girl who's dated three boys at once. “ You had someone who's always loved you, yet you go for a popular boy, Jacob of all people, too.” She explained everything. I couldn't believe it. I should have seen it. That's when we got home.

It was the day before homecoming. My friends and I were going to do some shopping for homecoming. We sat and talked while we looked for dresses.

“ So,” I started, “ how long have you known that Jared wanted to take me to homecoming?” Everyone fell silent. It was Hannah who broke it.

“ He called me that weekend you gave me the challenge.” Her eyes were filled with tears. “ He told me he wanted to take you. That's why I didn't accept your challenge when I got back.” I had never thought of that. I was too selfish to think. I felt very bad about it, but it was too late to turn back.

Just then, Hannah's cellphone rang. “ Hello?” she said. After a few seconds, her eyes grew wide. She snapped the phone shut. We all dropped everything. As we got in the car, she explained.

“ That was Jared,” she said gravely, stepping on the gas. “ He was so upset that he called me to tell me that he loved you, Lexi.” She shot me a look.

“NO!” I screamed. “HE CAN'T DO THAT! WE MUST STOP HIM BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!” Just then, as we were a few blocks from were Jared said we would find him, we could hear the sirens of a police car.



When we pulled over, we had the plan. I would jump out and go stop Jared, while the others stayed and explained. As planned, I jumped out. The partner didn't miss me. He ran right after me. I ran as if my life depended on it. “RUN, LEXI! RUN, RUN, RUN!” shouted Hannah.


The policeman was about to catch me when he saw Jared, at the edge of the dock. He had a chain attached to his leg, which, I realized, was attached to a weight that would hold him under water. He looked like he was going to jump in. Beside him lay a bottle of sleeping pills. I recovered first. I dove for him, carefully, so I didn't knock him into the raging river.

He pushed me away from him. I was so tearful that I could only see blurry figures. Jared jumped in. I screamed and jumped in after him.


The river was dark, cold, and uninviting. The current was strong, almost too strong for even me, but I had to save Jared. I felt around. Soon, I found his hand. I found his leg, attached to the weight that held him down. I went up for air, pulling him up with me. He was unconscious, so it was harder to do it, but at least he didn't fight.

The police and my friends were watching from the dock. I knew it was too late to do it myself. His weight was getting heavier by the second. “ Find the key,” I yelled. It turned into a scramble of movement. Hannah caught the key, but it flew out of her hand. It landed right into the water. Seeing no other option, I dived for it.


I fumbled for the key underwater. It was dark, but it wasn't to dark. Soon, I knew I had to come up for air. No, I thought. I have to keep him up. I was starting to black-out. I knew I wouldn't make it if I didn't go up, but I had to find that key. If I didn't before I blacked-out, we both would be gone. It was getting too dark, though. Before I was fully unconscious, I felt a hand grab my shoulder. My eyes closed before the sun met my eyes.


When I woke up, Jared was standing above me. Hannah, Emma, and Delia were off to the side. It turned out that Jared's pills had worn off in time to see me floating upwards. He got me on the dock and broke the chain. He had seen that I almost drowned trying to save him. I sat up. I smiled and sighed. “Let's go home,” Jared said to me.

The night of homecoming came. I was ready far before it was time to go meet my friends for dinner. I couldn't help but think about yesterday. I seemed to distracted to notice the time. That's when Hannah's car pulled up. I said goodbye to my mom and walked out the door.


Slow dancing with Jacob was the best way to keep myself in reality. We talked and danced. I found out that he had liked me the whole time. I wished this night would never end. I could see Jared watching from a distance. I felt bad. I would shoot myself for this later.

“ Jacob,” I paused. He was reading my mind.

“ It's Jared, isn't it?” he asked. I knew this was gonna leave us, both, broken. I just wanted a clean break-up. We were about being truthful with each other. Before I knew it, he was reading my mind.

“ Go ahead,” he whispered into my ear. “ Just remember I'll always be here for you.” I was starting to cry. I loved him, yet, I loved Jared even more than I ever imagined. I had proved it to everyone, even myself.

“ I love you,” I mentioned, turning to head over to Jared. I heard him mutter a “I love you, too.” I walked over to Jared. He took my hand. I pulled him close. As we danced the night away, I began to think. When is love friendly? I thought for about the millionth time.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Oct. 2 2011 at 7:50 pm
crazyreader14, LaSalle, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some just happen to be at the right place at the right time."

Hope you enjoy it!