Mistake | Teen Ink

Mistake

June 3, 2019
By Anonymous

Mistake

I sat in the car I had stolen. A red beaten up BMW. They were going to pull up soon, and I had everything ready, everything laid out. And then it happened. They came, pulling up next to my car. I rolled my window down, I saw Craig and Avery. Avery was part of the plan. We talked for a little and then I nodded at Avery. He leaned foward and I grabbed the glock off my lap quickly with my gloves on. I raised it up at Craig and aimed right at his head. “Don’t ever with us,” I grunted and pulled the trigger. Blood splattered everywhere.  Avery ran out the car, got into mine and we drove off, quickly. We kept driving and driving, in silence. I drove by a lake, we were in an area we didn’t know. So I just threw the gun there, I didn’t want to be traced back to this. It was going to be replaying in my head for the rest of my life, I didn’t want it to replay in a place where I would be locked away. Avery didn’t move for the whole ride. He usually was the one goofing around, But it didn’t even make sense to me, he wasn’t the one who pulled the trigger, he wasn’t the one who blew the brains out of him. He wouldn’t be the one who would get the most time. I”I think someone saw us throwing the gun away..” Avery mumbled, quietly. I whipped my head at him, confused. “It’s dark and late. How?” I asked. “I thought I saw someone walking.” he answered, his head down low. “Man shut up, you’re just being paranoid.” I rolled my eyes. I started driving away. I knew he could have a slight chance of being right, but I didn’t want to think about it. “If someone snitches, I’ll tell them you had no idea. I’ll cover for you, just say you didn’t know it was happening.” I sighed. He looked up at me and nodded. He was only fifteen, I had to understand he was scared for the rest of his life. Getting locked up for this would be the end of your life. You wouldn’t experience life. You’d be stuck between four walls for years. “You know, my dad is locked up for the same shit.” he said, looking down. “Guess I’m carrying on the tradition.” he shook his head. “We had to do what we had to do. He stole from us and bretrayed us, Avery. We had to send a message out.” I replied. I knew we could of done it otherways, ways that didn’t include ending a life. But not where I’m from. No one listens, unless death is involved. And I somewhat knew the police wouldn’t follow up on this. They didn’t care. They’ve never really cared about us, down there. I knew there was no point for Avery and I to be paranoid, but when you do something like that, you always will be. For the rest of your life.

We sat in silence as we were driving home, the streets were empty and dark. But then. All out of nowhere, a car drifted out of a side street and the blue and red lights began to go off. My heart dropped. The car was stolen. I looked at Avery, “Do I try to get away or pull over?” I quickly asked. His hands were shaking as he looked up in fear. “I-I don’t know!” he panicked. I quickly scanned the car, noticing Avery still had blood on his clothes. I couldn’t. I really couldn’t. So I began to gas it, driving like I’ve never driven before. Avery began to shake his head. I was driving through random side streets, driving faster than ever, in order to try to lose the flashing red and blue lights. But back-up was called, so we were being chased by three police cars. I zoomed down the dark street, there were no street lights and at the end of the street, there was a dead end. “F!” yelled Avery, he punched the dashboard. “I’ll take the blame, say you knew nothing, nothing at all, I just picked you up an hour ago and told you I got a new car. Okay?” I told him, as the police cars caught up to us. He nodded. And then it happened. Our doors were slung open. And we were grabbed out of the car. Immedately, pushed into the door and our hands put behind our backs. The police officers were talking and yelling, but I was so in my head, so panicked, that I heard absolutely nothing.

And the handcups were put on and I was dragged into the police car. It was the end of what was supposed to be an beginning.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.