Now You See Him | Teen Ink

Now You See Him

By tbwriter, Chicago, Illinois
tbwriter, Chicago, Illinois

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Author's note:

I, like Griffin, have a sepreated family. But my situation is much better than Griffin's. The Cunningham family has been in my head for years, and I'm glad to finally give them their time in the sun.

Stick to your story. Just keep calm, stick to your story, and you’re off the hook. Remember: Liam came up to you, and got up in your face. You told him to back off, but he wouldn’t listen . Next thing you knew, he was pushing you up against the lockers, and he threw the first punch, which is how you got your black eye . You were fighting out of self defense. Self. Defense.
The whole car jumps, causing me to whack my head on the door. I groan quietly, and dare to look over at Mom. She’s tense, and her eyes look like they’re about to catch fire. Yup. She’s mad. And she has good reason to be, but I wish she wouldn’t get her anger out by driving really fast over all the speed-bumps. After a minute, I work up the courage to talk to her.
“Mom?”
She speeds up a little bit, and makes a pretty wide turn.
“Can you slow down just a little? I think I hear the acceleration pedal screaming bloody murder.”
That’s her weakness. She loves to laugh, and I’m just the man for the job. But not a single muscle in her face moves. Not even a smirk. She’s not just mad. She’s furious.
I decide to just keep staring out the window, and let her cool off. God knows I’m gonna get a huge lecture when we get home, so I might as well enjoy the quiet now.
I kind of tune out, and before I know it, the car rumbles into the driveway. Mom practically strangles the gear shift as the engine smoothly dies out. Just take off your seat belt, and slowly get out. Hide in your room until dinner, pretend to do some homework, and by then, she’ll be her normal self. Well, as normal as anyone in my family can be.
Belt off. Grab the door handle.
“Don’t even try.”
...Busted.
Her tone tells me I should listen. She has a voice that’s usually so happy, and light, but that sounded like she was gargling nails, or something. For some reason, Mom can’t seem to look at me. It’s as if my face will make her want to scream. Or maybe she’s just waiting for her heat vision to kick in so she can turn me into a puddle.
She stares at her faint reflection in the windshield, and drums her left hand on the steering wheel for a few minutes before finally speaking. “Why do you do this?”
Story telling time. “Alright, I know this looks bad, but it wasn’t my fault.”
“You’re school dean seemed to think otherwise.” She still hasn’t faced me.
“See, what happened was, I was putting my math book in my locker, when this big gorilla of a guy, Liam, comes up to me, and gets in my face, right? So I tell him, ‘Dude, back off.’, but he keeps ripping into me. One thing leads to another, and before I know it, Liam -”
“I don’t care what Liam did!” Her head turns like an owl's: Her skin is sort of pinkish, and a few strands of her dark brown, wavy hair is in her face. “I know what happened! Your dean told me! I saw the kid you were fighting with come out of the office, remember? You did quite a number on him! But I didn’t ask you what happened, or how much of an ape this guy looked like, or how he was antagonizing you!”
She stares at me for what feels like an hour, her tired green eyes burning into my blue ones. They close, and she lets out an exhausted sigh. “I asked you why.  Why you, Griffin Jackson Cunningham,” Darn. Full name. “ did what you did. Why you have this, this...need to just be...difficult.”
That last word makes my blood boil. It’s like she thinks I wanted to do it. “Hey, I was defending myself! He hit me first!”
“Oh, Griffin, don’t play that with me. Not again. You’re acting like this is the first time this has happened! You are a magnet for trouble, lately! Not two weeks ago, I had to come pick you up because you had to serve detention! Again!”
“Oh, well excuse me if that made things difficult, Mom.”
“You’ve been doing this ever since your father and I got a divorce! Six years ago, you weren’t like this at all! You were great in school, and you loved learning, and all your teachers adored you. You helped out around the house, and you were responsible! What happened to you? Why are you doing this?”
I hate it when she brings this up. I look away and focus on the empty bird feeder in the front lawn. “I don’t know.”
“No, Griffin, why? Why do you have to, to, make the situation worse instead of trying to improve it? Why do you have to act out? Do you need more attention? Is that it? Do I not give you enough attention?”
“No.”
“No, I don’t give you enough attention?”
“No, that’s not it.”
“Then what? What is it? Please, enlighten me, because I don’t know what to do anymore! I’m out of ideas! At the end of my rope! What do you want from me, Griffin?!”
“I don’t know!”
“Then figure it out!” She keeps her eyes locked on me as she unclicks her seat belt and throws it over her shoulder. “Because in case you forgot, I’m a sales representative, and my job makes me travel a lot! And in case you forgot, I have to go on a business trip all of next week!”
In case I forgot, of course...“What does that have to do with me?!”
“Oh, it’s always about you, isn’t it? Well, for your information, your usual babysitter, Mrs. Gunderson from down the street, cancelled due to a family emergency! So now, I have to find a new sitter by Sunday! And on top of that, thanks to you, it has to be someone who can be here all day, because in case you didn’t hear your dean, your little fight earned you a week long out-of-school suspension. You knew I was gonna be away, but you couldn’t resist getting in trouble again. That, Griffin, is exactly what I mean when I say you make things difficult.”
She slams the door, and walks into the house, where the dog is barking excitedly. Everything is my fault in her mind! Yeah, Mom, I totally remembered your big trip, and, just to screw up your whole life, I made sure to tick off one of the biggest guys in school, and get myself in trouble. Because that’s what I live for: making things harder for everyone. As if! I got problems of my own, if she hasn’t noticed.  And how was I supposed to know the babysitter was gonna cancel? Why do we even need a babysitter, anyway? I mean, I’m sixteen! I can handle things around the house for a week! Why does she blame me for everything?!
I finally get out of the car, grab my thousand pound backpack, and make my way up to the door. The dog is still barking up a storm. Before I can even get the door all the way open, she jumps on my legs, her floppy ears flying everywhere. Why are dogs always so happy to see people all the time? I’ve only been gone for a few hours. Thanks to Liam, I didn’t finish the school day. Our little “show” happened right before fifth period. At least I missed English class.
I shut the door a little harder than usual. “Scout, get off.” I tell the small c***er spaniel, who’s still leaping up to my knee caps, trying to get attention. “I’m not in the mood for playing.”
She sits right in front of me, and beams with her soft brown eyes. She makes me feel so guilty when she does this. Here I am, telling a little puppy I’m too much of a jerk to play. This is a new low.  I finally  give in, get down on my knees, and start petting her fluffy, golden fur. She starts making that happy whining noise that dogs make, and rolls onto her stomach. Man, I love dogs. They make you forget the problems of life.
“Zeke, give her back!”
“Make me, squirt!”
“Mommy!”
Younger siblings, however, make sure to remind you...
Just as I’m getting up, Zeke runs into the room, clutching a Barbie doll in his hand. As usual, Mary Jane is right behind him. “Griffin! Make him give my doll back!”
She just loves putting me in the middle. Zeke rockets past me, but I grab his arm before he can get too far. “Quit bein’ a jerk, and just give her the stupid toy back.”
“Finders keepers, bro! I told her to keep her junk out of my room!”
He tries to pull away from me, but his twelve-year-old muscles don’t do a lot for him , really. I grab the doll easily, and toss it to my sister, finally letting go of Zeke’s arm. He falls onto the carpet with a loud noise. “She’s eight, Zeke,” I explain, irritated. “Eight-year-olds leave stuff  all around the house. Just suck it up already. Besides, your room’s a mess, anyway.”
“You’re no Mr. Clean yourself, you know,” he shoots back. After sticking his tongue out at me in a very mature way, he retreats back into the kitchen. I smirk a little when I hear Mary Jane murmur “Butt face.” when he passes her. She then turns her attention to me.
“Will you play dolls with me?”
“Can’t.” I tell her simply. “Homework.”
She folds her arms across her chest and glares at me. “You’re not gonna do it, anyway.”
“Well, I have stuff to do.”
“What stuff?”
“Teenage stuff little girls wouldn’t understand.”
“Liar, liar, pants on fire. You’re just gonna sit in your room and play video games till you fall asleep, like you always do.”
“Like I said,” I open the door to my bedroom, and look at her one more time. “You wouldn’t understand.”
She stomps off with her Barbie and I seal myself in my room. To a teen, a bedroom is like another house you go to when you need to get away from the rest of your house. Or the other people who live there. The familiar smell of dirty laundry fills my nose as I make my way over to my bed, which I didn’t bother to make. I click on the TV, and fire up the ol’ XBox, like usual. Thanks to that suspension, I have a whole week’s worth of homework to do, most of which I don’t even understand. Looks like I’m going to be my usual studious self...and save it till the last minute.
While the game loads, I flip over and look up at the ceiling. My family is nuts. Mom takes everything out on me, Zeke’s a pain, and Mary Jane just needs to learn to leave me alone. I’m her brother, not her friend. When are they gonna figure it out?
...In retrospect, I should probably put some ice on this black eye.
                                                  * * *
Saturday goes by quickly, like they all do. Before I know it, I hear that familiar knock.
“Griffin,” Mary Jane calls, knowing better than to open the door. “It’s dinner time.”
So close! I was just about to totally own Halo 3! “Okay, be there in a sec.”
“Mom got KFC.” she says in a sing-song voice.
Mom didn’t tell me she was going out. She usually tells me that sort of stuff. Then again, she’s kind of been avoiding me all day. And hang on, Mom almost never gets take out. What’s going on?
Oh, I know what this is. This is her way of saying she’s sorry for going off on me yesterday. That’s it. I bet I’ll get the usual speech. “I’m sorry, Griffin, but you’ve really got to do better. I didn't mean to yell. I’m just really overwhelmed, what with work, and juggling everything with you kids, and such. Can you forgive me, and promise to try harder?”
Walking into the kitchen, the smell of chicken takes over, and I see everyone is in their spots at the table. Even Scout, who’s sitting under Mary Jane’s chair, waiting for her to “drop” some food. I sit down across from Mom, waiting for the inevitable to begin. We say grace, fill our plates, and then...silence.
I stare at mom for a few seconds while gnawing on a chicken leg. Why isn’t she saying anything? She usually clears the air right after grace. But she’s not even looking at me. She’s just...sitting there, poking her potatoes.
Like nothing. Ever. Happened.
I wait a few minutes, and finish off my chicken and biscuit. This is really awkward.
“Mooomm,” Zeke’s whiny voice breaks the quiet. “Mary Jane’s giving Scout table food again.”
“Am not!”
“Are too!”
“Am not!”
“Are too!”
Squish! Mom puts her hand into her potatoes- accidentally, I’m sure-  and stands up, eyes shut tightly. Zeke and Mary Jane shut up, and we all look at her. Scout trots over and sits by Mom’s leg, thinking she’s going to get some of that chicken on her plate.
Mom opens her eyes, but seems very interested in the wood design on the table. “I’ve made a decision.”
That’s not how the “I’m sorry” speech goes!
“As the three of you know, Mrs. Gunderson can’t watch you guys while I’m gone next week. So, I’ve had to find a new babysitter.”
“Is it Griffin?” Zeke interrupts. “‘Cause, honestly, he kinda stinks at watching us.”
“Hey!” I yell.
“Well, you do.” Mary Jane says. “You don’t do anything with us. You’re just like, here to make sure nothing bad happens. You’re boring.”
“Yeah, at least Gunderson played checkers, and told us stories.”
“Let me finish.” Mom orders. “So...even though I have mixed feelings about it...”
I take a long drink of water, knowing what’s going to come. C’mon Mom, say it: “Griffin, the best babysitter ever, is going to watch you. He’s so responsible, and I never should’ve yelled at him.”
“...Your father’s coming to watch you while I’m gone.”
“Mooomm, Griffin spit water all over the table!”
“Is he choking?”
“No, Mary Jane, sweetie. He’s just being dramatic.”
“What?” I shout. “But you.....and Dad...he can’t...you wouldn’t....you're not...”
“Now he’s babbling.”  Zeke observes, as I keep spouting out words, uncontrollably.
“You’re not...Dad?...why can’t you...can’t Aunt Sheryl?!”
Mom has taken her seat and is finally starting to eat. “She’s in Nevada.” 
        “But, but, but...” Then suddenly, a light bulb pops up over my head. “Oh, I get it.” I lean back in my chair, confidently. “This is a joke. That was you getting your pound of flesh because of the suspension thing. Good one, Mom. You really had me going there for a minute.”
         ...Why isn’t she laughing?
       “Mom,” I lean back in. “That was a joke. Say it was a joke.”
       “You want me to lie to you?” she asks with a glob of potatoes stuck to her face.
       “Mom?”
       The silence returns.
       Then it hits me: This isn’t an apology, or a joke, or some weird skit for a prank show...This is punishment. She’s so mad at me, she’s bringing in the person she knows I have issues with to watch me all week! No...NO! “But you hate each other!”
       “We do not hate each other, Griffin! In fact, even though our marriage didn’t work out, we’re still good friends!” She looks up at me, and starts counting on her fingers. “We talk once in awhile on the phone, we send birthday cards with cheesy, stupid jokes, and we send each other Christmas cards!  Just like he mails you guys your holiday and birthday gifts, and calls you often!”
       “But some of us choose not to talk to him.” Zeke shoots, glaring at me.
       I gotta find a way out of this. Stating the facts failed, so now it’s time for bribery and begging. I reach across the table and take her hand- which is kind of hard since we’re both sitting at the long end of the table. “Mom, I promise I won’t get in trouble, or makes things difficult for you anymore. I’ll do my homework, help around the house, play with Mary Jane, walk the dog, whatever you need!”
       “Great.” she says, monotonically.
       Victory!
       “But your father’s still coming.”
       “What?!”
       “I called him last night, and he said he’d be more than happy to come and see you. He’s really missed you three, you know.”
       “We miss him, too.” Zeke puts in.
       “Then why didn’t he try to get visitation with us?!” I ask, heated.
       Mom’s quiet for a minute. She picks up her plate, pushes in her chair, and stares at the floor.
       “Well...you can ask him when he gets here tomorrow morning.”

She can’t do this. She’s bluffing! She wouldn’t call Dad. He divorced her. And on top of that, he moved away, and didn’t even ask to see us. He left Mom. He left us.
I glance at the clock for about the fiftieth time. It’s 1:38 AM. I’ve been lying awake like this, driving myself crazy for hours. It can’t be true. He can’t be coming. He wouldn’t step foot here, not after leaving Mom.
I start to doze a little bit, and memories begin to bubble to the front of my mind. Ones I’ve long suppressed:
Dad teaching me how to ride a bike. Running Dad’s foot over several times with said bike. Making holiday cookies with both parents, and getting flour everywhere. Dad tucking me in at night. His magic tricks that he used to do. They used to amuse me so much as a little kid. They were simple things like, “Is this your card?”, “I can link these paperclips together.”, and “The Disappearing Quarter.” I remember being so astounded by that one, blissfully ignorant to the fact that it was just up his sleeve. Funny...Dad kind of pulled his own disappearing act.
Sure, I remember the arguments they used to have in the kitchen. And I bet the word “divorce” was thrown around a lot. But...being ten...it was kind of like the world came crashing down in a second. Dad divorced Mom, and suddenly, POOF! Gone.
Now you see him...
Now you don’t.
* * *
Slowly, sleep begins to leave, and I kind of wriggle around in my bed, like a fish, trying to will it to come back. But the morning noise won’t let it. All I can hear are those annoying robins in the backyard, motorcycles revving down the street, that old Mustang rumbling into the driveway...old Mustang...Oh, man, he’s here!
I’ve never gotten out of bed quicker in my life. What am I supposed to do? I can’t believe he thinks he can just show up again! I could call a friend, and try to see if I can hide out there. Aw, but Drake’s at his grandma's, and Johnny has church till noon. And Dad will probably want to “reconnect” or “bond” or whatever he’s gonna call it. News flash, Pop: You can’t just waltz back in here and think everything’s gonna be just how you left it. In fact, you’re the reason nothing ever can be.
I hear a key click into the lock. I can’t believe he still kept it. Boots clomp into the entrance. Suddenly. my sister’s high, innocent little voice fills the house.
“...Daddy?”
Oh, darn, that’s right. Mary Jane was only two when Dad left. God, does she even recognize him?
Then suddenly, I hear his voice for the first time in about six years.
“Hi, MJ.”
I hear feet pound on the kitchen tile. “Dad!”
A stampede of elephants suddenly parade into the house as Zeke and Mary Jane rush up to him. I creep open the door a little to make sure I’m right.
There he is, on his knees, hugging them tightly, like he’ll never let go. But he will.
He looks almost exactly the way he did last time I saw him: Dirty black hair that’s short, choppy, and just kind of everywhere. Pale skin, blue eyes.Old, ripped up clothes that are partially covered in paint stains. And those boots. Those old, torn up, filthy, smelly work boots that used to sit by the front door. 
I look away from them for a second to glance in the mirror. I look just like him. I always knew I did, but having him in front of me again makes me realize it even more. We have the same eyes. The same hair. I hate that. I hate, hate, hate looking like him.
I look back out into the living room and see Mom come into the room, juggling suitcases. Dad gets up and brushes himself off, like he’s trying to impress her. Uh-uh. You had your chance.
“Here, let me help you there, Rose.” he offers.
“No, I’ve got them, I’ve got them.” she tells him. “Okay, I left a list on the table about everything that needs to be done around the house. Where’s Griffin?”
“He’s been staring at me through that little crack in his door for the last couple minutes.”
“Griffin, get out here so I can say ‘bye’ to you. You’re not spending your whole suspension sleeping and playing video games.”
Busted. Again. I open the door all the way and walk up to them, making sure I don’t even glance at dear ol’ Dad. I have to ignore him. All week, I’m totally blanking him. He walks back into the house after all these years, and expects  all of us to just run into his arms again. Zeke and Mary Jane already made their choice. I can’t really blame them. But me? I’m not gonna let him in. Not again.
“Nice pjs, Grif.” he smirks.
I look down at the Muppet pajamas I forgot I was wearing up till now. Good one, Griffin. Great way to show your Dad how much of a mature person you’ve become, how you’re not the child he remembers. I’m sure Kermit’ll teach him a lesson.
“Alright,” Mom chimes back in, and kisses Mary Jane and Zeke on their foreheads. “I gotta go, or I’ll miss my plane.  Love you guys. No fighting, okay? Behave.” She turns around, kisses my head, and gives me one of her looks. “Especially you.” 
“Love you, too, Mom.”
“Have a safe flight.” Dad smiles.
She smirks. “Don’t set the house on fire, okay? I don’t want a repeat of the Thanksgiving of ‘01.”
“Hey, that turkey looked undercooked. Are you ever gonna let me live that down?”
“Maybe. Maybe not.” She thanks him one more time, and starts heading to the door. “Oh, Jack...could you do one more thing?”
“Name it.”
“The minivan isn’t working, the engine’s making this weird noise. Zeke’s starting wrestling soon, and I don’t have time to take it into the shop. Can you look at it?”
“What kind of noise? Like a ‘klunk, klunk, klunk’, or a ‘tick, tick, tick, tick’?”
Zeke and Mary Jane start giggling. Dad always uses such technical terms.  Wait, am I smirking? No, no, no! Stay strong, Griffin! It’s not that funny! Nothing Dad says or does is funny. You can’t let him back in. You won’t!
“Umm...the first one.”
“I can fix that.”
“Thanks, you’re a lifesaver. Kids, be good for your father. And Jack, don’t make turkey!”
“I’m never living that down.”
We all stand there and watch until her Cadillac is out of sight. She really did it. She really left us with him.
        Dad opens his mouth, but before he can say anything, the house is filled with the sound of a yappy kind of bark. Scout slides on the tile as she makes her way up to him. “When did you guys get a dog?” he asks, over the noise.
       “That’s Scout.” Mary Jane tells him.
       “Yeah,” my brother starts, hesitantly. “She was kinda a ‘Sorry your dad and I are splitting up, here’s a puppy’ kind of thing. Guess Mom forgot to bring it up.”
       Ooh, that’s gotta sting. Replaced by a dog.
       "Aww, she’s so cute.” Dad reaches down and pets her. Scout rolls on her back, happily. A strange man opens the door, walks into the house, Mom leaves us with him, and the first thing our faithful animal protector does is ask him for belly rubs. Scout, sometimes I wish you were a Rottweiler.

Alright, Griffin, it’s Day Four of Dad-Mageddon. You’ve done great so far, but you can’t slip. You need a new way to avoid him. All your friends are at school still, so that’s out. What have I used so far? Sunday I just stayed away from him, even though he kept trying to talk to me. The next day, I stayed in my room until Drake got home, then went over there, but he’s got football today. Yesterday was pretty easy, since Mary Jane puked in her PE class, and had to come home. Dad totally babied her all day: Making her soup, watching TV with her...taking care of her. No, no! You are not jealous! You’re mad at Dad! He left you, remember? It’s his fault everything’s like this!
       “You feeling okay today, MJ?” He’s right outside the door.
       “Yup, I’m all better. When I come home, will you play dolls with me?”
       “Sure.”
       “Great! I’ll be Barbie, and you be Ken, her boyfriend.”
       “Really? Huh. All this time I thought he was gay.”
       “What?”
       “Never mind. You better go, or you’ll miss the bus.”
       “Okay. Love you.”
       I feel so bad for her...
       “Love you too, Honey.”
       Then why’d you leave her? Leave us?
       Leave me.
       “Griffin, you might want to get up, or your internal clock thing will get messed up.”
       “It’s seven in the morning!” I yell at the door.
       “And you're wide awake. That’s your body’s way of saying, ‘Get out of bed’.”
       I get up, even though I hate listening to him. He wants me to talk to him, or something, but I’m not falling for it. I make some toast, and go right back to Halo.
       Before I know it, a little over four hours has passed. He hasn’t come to check on me. Guess he’s figured out that I don’t want him here. Good.
       There’s a knock at the door. I ignore it and keep playing. He comes in anyway and sits on my bed, next to me. “Wow. Video games sure have gotten a lot more violent since the last time I played ‘em.”
       “You mean back when you had to use the controller to fight off the dinosaurs?”
       He laughs a little. “Guess I walked into that one. So, I kinda wanna talk to you about something. Is there a pause on this?”
       “Pause button’s busted.” I lie.
       “Then can you shut it off?”
       “I’ll lose the unsaved data.”
       "Well can you save it and shut it off?”
       I give an annoyed sigh, save the game, and turn it off.
       “So...” he starts. “I’ve kinda noticed you’ve been trying to avoid me lately.”
       “That’s observant of you.”
       “Do you talk to your mother like this?”
       “Why do you care how I talk to Mom?”
       “Oh, c’mon, Griffin. Talk to me like a real person.”
       “My mouth is moving. Sound is coming out of it in the form of words. Gee, looks like I’m talking.”
       He stands up and looks at me. “Alright, seriously. Why have you been avoiding me all week? I did this to try to connect with you kids again.”
       He’s really starting to make me mad. “Really? That’s interesting, considering the fact that you left us.”
       “So that’s what this whole thing is about. I knew it. Griffin, just because your mom and I aren’t married anymore doesn’t mean I don’t care about you all.”
       “You made that really clear when you moved hours and hours away from us.”
       “Jesus Christ!”
       “Nope. Just me.”
       “Do you think I like not seeing you kids?”
       “I would assume so, considering you told Mom you didn’t want to have visitation with us.”
       “That’s not what I said. I said ‘It would be easier for the kids if you had full custody of them, and that they stay with you most of the time. My new job is taking me far out of town, and packing all the kids in the car and carting them miles and miles just for a weekend isn’t a very good idea. It’s too much back and forth. Maybe some time, I could take them over the summer, but for right now, I don’t make a lot of money, and I don’t want to take the kids if I can’t take the best care of them.’ That is word for word what I told your mother, and I know, because those are the words that have been running through my mind every time I wake up in your Uncle Murray's smelly apartment, and don’t hear you, Zeke, or MJ!
       “But even though I’m still working at a stupid motorcycle shop, can’t find a better job, and go paycheck to paycheck, I still try to make space for what’s important to me! I call you guys every night, unless I get off late, talk to your sister,  and ask her how everything's going. I talk to your brother, and see how he’s doing, and then I ask, ‘Can you pass the phone to your brother?’, and every time they answer, ‘He doesn’t want to talk right now.’”
       “Well, what am I supposed to say to you?!” I shout. “You left us! You divorced Mom!”
       “Yes, I divorced your mom! Because we weren’t right for each other! Because we weren’t getting along! Do you remember all those arguments we used to have over the stupidest stuff? Do you? Or have you erased all that from the picture, and drawn me in as the bad guy?! Did you want us to keep fighting like that? Because let me tell you, it wasn’t getting any better! We tried everything we could to make it work, so we could stay together for you three: We went to counseling, we tried talking about it, but nothing we did made it any better! We just didn’t fit! So yeah, I ended the marriage. Because I wasn’t gonna wait for it to get worse, for one of you to see us fight, or for your mom and I to turn into one of those couples that just want to kill the other. I didn’t want to hate your mom, and I don’t think your mom wants to hate me. So I ended it, and at a good time, because today, we can still talk, and we’re still good friends!
       “You’ve been blanking me because you're angry with me, I got that from the minute I walked into this house! You’re mad because to you, I ditched all of you. But you know what? I think deep down, you wish I was back! Well, now I am! I’m right freakin’ in front of you, Griffin! And I’ve been trying to be here all week long for you! But now you're mad because I’m here! You don’t want me to stay! You don’t want me to go! Jesus, Griffin, what do you want from me?!”
       And with that, he walks out of the room, his boots pounding on the carpet, and slams the door. I sit there for a minute, kind of taking in everything I just heard.
       Then, I just go crazy.
       I punch the pillows, I scream, I just let everything out! Liam, Mom, Dad, Zeke, Mary Jane, that girl in English class that wouldn’t go out with me last year, that senior that always rubs it in that he beat Halo 3 before me, that book worm that spoiled the ending of The Storyteller for me, and all those stupid freshmen that don’t know how to walk in the halls!
       I lay on the bed, breathing heavily from the sudden tantrum. I don’t know how long I stay there, but eventually I hear a light scratching at my door. Scout wants to see what I’m up to. I lay there for a little while longer, but the noise persists. I get up and open the door just enough for her to wiggle herself in. She runs in a little circle around me, then looks up. A rubber ball is in her mouth. But I don’t want to play. I just lay back on the bed, and pretend she’s not there.
       She continues to look at me with that irresistible face. I sigh, and sit back up. “Alright you win.” I bend down and take the ball from her. She pants, excitedly, as I prepare to throw it. Tossing it across the room, she bounds after it, barking happily, and quickly brings it back for Round Two. I throw it again, but this time it hits the wall, bounces back, and rolls right under the bed. Game over, I guess.
       Scout barks at the bed, every few seconds looking up at me. She’s not gonna stop until I get her stupid toy.
       Getting up again, I lay flat on my stomach and look under. It’s in the corner, mocking me. Alright, if I just get the ball, I can toss it out of my room, Scout will go away, and I can go back to...whatever the heck I feel like doing after my “chat” with Dad.  I reach my arm under, since it’s all I can fit. I feel around trying to find the dumb ball. No, that’s lint. Dust bunny. Old underwear? Okay, that’s kinda gross. Wait...what’s this?
       There’s something hard and flat under my hand. I grab it and upon pulling it out, I see it’s a large, old book. It’s dark blue, with a gold border. It’s kind of dirty, and on the front is the word “Memories” in the same gold color. I totally forgot about this. This is my old photo album.
       The dog finally gives up on the game, and goes to lay down by the air vent. But I’ve kind of forgotten about her.
Just put it back. Put it back, and you can forget it all over again.
       But you want to know what’s in it. What did you put inside?
       If it was that important, you would’ve remembered it. Unless...it’s something you wanted to forget.
       Oh no...I know what’s in here.
       Don’t open it! Just...throw it out, or something! Or hide it.
       But you tried that already, that’s why it was under there.
       I have to open it. I don’t know why I want to torture myself like this but...I just have to look at it again. Just one more time. One more time,  and then I’ll have no problem getting rid of it.
       Dust comes up like a cloud as I flip it open. I forgot how many photos I took when I was little. Some of the pictures are kind of random, like one of a squirrel in the yard, or Mom cooking something. Others are more important, like my kindergarten graduation, and birthday parties.
       And there they are. Pictures of me and my family. All together. Back when  life was...not...this.
       There’s one of us in Wisconsin Dells, in front of the animatronic clock tower that tells the tale of the Pied Piper. We’re all smiling, except at this point, Mom was still pregnant with Zeke.
       Dad holding Zeke for the first time, and a four-year-old me looking at him, thinking what a great big brother I’m gonna be.
       Gee, I sure lived up to that. But either way, once again, we’re all smiling in the picture. Even mom, who just finished child labor.
       One of all three of us celebrating New Years, but I’m not quite sure what year we’re celebrating.
One of us at Brookfield Zoo, standing next to the statue of a gorilla. Who’s taking these pictures? Some random stranger?
       Another few pages, and Mary Jane is finally born. Dad’s crying, I’m glad I have a sister, and Zeke’s poking her. Great first impression, dude.
       Page after page, my grin gets bigger, and the hot tears in my eyes are getting harder to fight. Every picture in here, we’re smiling. Where did those smiles go? When did they leave?
       Was it when Mom and Dad started having issues?
       When he left?
       What?
       Why can’t we be happy?
       ...Why can’t I be happy?
       I close the book gently, and look at the wall. I just kind of think. About everything. About nothing. About my life. How it’s the same, and how it’s changed. I want to be that smiling kid I saw in those photos. I want to see that family smile back at me. Why can’t that happen?
       Then it occurs to me.
       Maybe...maybe it’s me. Maybe I’m the reason my family can’t be happy. Mom’s been trying everything to help me, but I just won’t let her. Zeke’s been begging for my attention, but I ignore him. Mary Jane, too. All she wants is to hang out, and I always shut her down.
       That answers my second question. Why can’t I be happy?
       Because I won’t let myself be happy.
       I complain about issues in school, and when Mom tries to help me out, I just let it go in one ear and out the other. Why fix the problem when I can mope about it for days?
I always wanted siblings, and now that I’ve got them, I pretend they don’t exist.
       I waited for six years to see my dad again. He’s right, I missed him. I wanted to see him again. Now he’s here, and I’ve spent all this time being a jerk, and waiting for him to go away again.
       It hurt when he divorced Mom. It might always hurt. But part of me understands now why he did it.
       He wanted to see us again. I think I’ve always known that. And I bet when he gets a better job, and a house away from Uncle Murray, we’ll be seeing a lot more of him.
       But all this leaves me with one more question:
       How do I fix this?
       Hours slip by. I haven’t eaten lunch. Mary Jane and Zeke are already home. I had to let Scout out of the room so she could go outside. Still nothing from Dad. But what did I expect?
       All this time I’ve been trying to think of a solution. I owe Mom a serious apology when she gets back, I know that much. But what do I do right now? With Dad, and my brother and sister? I need something. One thing that can tell them all what I need to say, without me having to write a whole speech. I’m not really good with my words. C’mon, Griffin you gotta do something. You have to have one idea in your head. Something that’ll just make all these issues disappear.
       ...That’s it. That’s it!
       I jump up off the floor, put the photo album on my bed, and empty my bank. Found one!
       Running out of my room, I try to find them all. I need to get them all together for this. Lucky for me, they’re all in the same place: Sitting in Mary Jane’s room in little tiny chairs, around her small tea party table.
       “Oh, Barbie, I love you more than my glitter tuxedo.” Dad/Ken says.
       “Oh, Ken, you don’t know what that means to me.” Mary Jane/Barbie swoons.
       “Why am I doing this again?” Zeke asks, holding another male doll.
       “You’re ruining it.” my sister tells him.
       “Who even is this guy?”
       “I told you, that’s Allan, Ken’s best friend! Didn’t you read the box?”
       “Now MJ,” Dad starts, smirking. “We all know your brother doesn’t read.”
       “At least I don’t walk around the house in Muppet pajamas.” Zeke gestures to me with the doll. They all look at me.
       I can’t do this. What if it’s not enough?
       But I can’t do nothing, and this is all I got right now.
       I walk up to them quietly, and hold out the quarter. They’re all silent as I perform the trick. Suddenly, POOF! Gone.
       “Whoa!” Mary Jane exclaims, beaming. “How’d you do that?”
       “A magician never reveals his secrets.” I tell her.
       “Taught him everything he knows.” Dad winks at me, and leans back in the child-sized plastic chair. A huge weight comes off me. Now I know it’s okay. By that wink, and the stunned expressions on my brother and sister’s faces, I know somehow, they got the message.
       I love you Zeke, and Mary Jane. And I promise to be a better brother.
       And Dad, you’re right. I did miss you. I’ve been missing you since the day you left. I just had to let myself finally admit it. I want to see you again. I will see you again, if it means I have to walk to Uncle Murray’s. You’re my dad, and even though you might be far away, you’re always there when I need you.
       That’s why you came here this week. You knew, somehow, I needed you.
         I’m sorry.
         I love you.
         I never stopped.
       “Can you do it again?” Mary Jane asks. “Please? Pretty please, with Ken’s glitter tux on top?”
       “Alright, alright.” I turn for a minute so she doesn’t see where I hid the quarter. Holding it in my hand, I suddenly get this feeling that...everything is gonna be okay.
       And I smile.
       “Okay, here we go. Now you see it...”