Around Every Corner | Teen Ink

Around Every Corner

By Volleyball_Life BRONZE, Wautoma, Wisconsin
Volleyball_Life BRONZE, Wautoma, Wisconsin

Stay Gold, Ponyboy, Stay Gold- The Outsiders, Johnny Cade

Summary:

I ran as fast as I could through the twisted jungle, I was running from something or maybe even someone. I could hear the loud shouts of the creature. I was panting so heavily it felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. Suddenly I tripped over a large tree root sticking out of the ground. I rolled to the side to hide inside of all the bushes and leaves. I heard the creatures panting as it stopped running and looked around, when it didn't see me it kept running after it heard some leaves ruffling in the opposite direction of me. When I couldn't see the creature anymore I peeked out from the bushes and started to run back to the campsite that I found on the island.

When I got there I went straight inside of the small shed building. I looked around and saw the guy that sent me outside the camp in the first place. “Clark, why the hell did you send me out there without warning me about that creature?!” I yelled at him as I pushed him. “Kriss, there is no creature. Are you seeing things again?” “You know damn well that there is a creature out there, don't you?” I yelled. “Come with me.” He said as he grabbed my arm and pulled me into another room where no one else was. “Look, I know about the creature. I've come face to face with that thing until I figured out the one thing it's afraid of, FIRE. It can't be near fire without freaking out and running away. That's why I built this camp, to help anyone that came into this jungle stay away from getting killed by that… thing. I sent you out there because you are the strongest warrior that I have trained so far. You've improved more than anyone here. And I needed to know if you could see it too. There were five other warriors that I sent out there and that haven't came back unlike you. You have to help me, Kriss. We must get rid of that creature. We must destroy it and keep this island safe for everyone that comes along. I'm trying to build a colony of young people that will all be trained by me and my best top ten warriors here. And you are the best of the best here. So I need YOUR help to make this fantasy a reality. Will you help me? And you must keep it a secret about the creature, I don't need the other warriors fleeing the island without being properly trained.” I sighed and thought about it for a while. “What's in it for me?” I crossed my arms over my chest waiting for an answer. “Well I'm hoping that if and when I step down as my position of leader that you'll take my place and take care of everyone.” I tapped my foot to think about it. “Deal.” He smiled and put his hand out. I shook it before turning around ready to walk out to the next room. “But just to let you know I don't work good with a team, I work alone.” I said as I turned around to face Clark again before I disappeared into the crowd of the other warriors. I went to my room and looked in the mirror, I was covered in dirt and grime. I grabbed my towel, toothbrush, and everything else that I needed besides my clothes and went to take a shower in the small little room that we had made into a bathroom.

Destiny M.

Around Every Corner