The Kings Promise

By , SLC, UT
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next »

Prologue

“So the future seemed
To mingle with the past. For a short space
I saw revealed to the doubt the threads that bind
This little speck of time we call “To-day”
To the great cycle of unending life
That has been and that shall be evermore.”
-Tours
“Truth is put down: reason is held a fable;
Virtue has now no domination,
Pity is exiled, no man is merciful.
Through greed men blind discretion;
The world has made such a permutation
I have selected two quotes that inspired the story to go before the Prologue.
Of right to wrong, truth to fickleness,
That all is lose for lack of steadfastness.”
-Lack of Steadfastness, Chaucer

PROLOGUE

Two bells tolled. One in the frigid northern region of Salzt and the other, in the luxurious capital of Linderservia. The bells rang, echoing each other in a time held unison, announcing the arrivals of two heirs. A time gap of seven years between the brass peals. The bell of Linderservia was rung three times, in a celebratory toll, proclaiming a son. Rejoicing took place simultaneously. The new mother smiled with satisfaction as her son was taken from her arms to be paraded through the crowded halls of her palace. The new father’s chest rose with pride as with quill in hand, he signed his first son’s birth right and inheritance. A rush of merriment echoed through every corner in the vast country, an heir of Linderservia had been born.
Hundreds of miles away seven years hence, Salzt there was also a rush of merriment in the land of Salzt, though not to Linderservia’s extravagant extent. A living child had finally been produced to secure Salzt’s forthcoming generation. Her cheeks were the pink of a blooming rose, her cry was strong, and her eyes were lit with lively innocence. The child’s mother smiled weakly as her babe was left to sleep in her arms. The father’s eyes glistened with subtle tears, mixed emotions running through his every limb. Finally, he and his queen had brought forth a living child, yet the subtle wrinkles at the sides of his eyes delivered slight distress. The child was not a son. The king’s throne could not boast a direct inheritor, something that could bring his country to demise.
The king of Salzt hid his worry and grinned in accordance to his wife’s joy. The queen felt the distress that the king had, but only for a brief moment. Her daughter was perfect in her eyes; the child’s good-health was all she wanted. The parents beamed with adoration as they cradled their daughter in silence and prayed for the good of her well-being.
Not soon after, the neighboring kings heard of each other’s fortune. Through written correspondence, they came to decisive terms on ending their tiresome skirmishes over the north-eastern lands. If a living son could not be produced, the northeastern lands would become one with Linderservia under an alliance of marriage to one of the Linderservian prince’s, for seven years had brought two. The opposing side to the alliance stated that if a Salzian inheritor were to be born, then the northeastern lands would belong to Salzt, but only if the marital alliance was still intact. Only if this alliance was asserted, would Linderservia’s immense army hold their arms and their king stop his ruthless border attacks. Thus, a sustainable sense of peace was obtained.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next »

This book has 31 comments. Post your own now!

ChristieKannapel said...
Thank you everyone, for the comments. I love receiving comments. (:

Sammi said...
Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:55 am
I liked this, though it left me heartbroken. Good job! (': sequel plz?

JohnJoseph said...
Good job honey. Loved it and read it in one sitting. I am very proud.

Pinkblue said...
I read this before I decided to get an account, and honestly, it inspired me too. Though I am not much of a writer, I would like to be! So this was pretty good. You should be proud of it. I loved the ending.

C.delaMare replied...
Thanks a million Pinkblue! I'm gals it inspired you so much.

Pinkblue replied...
Yea. It was good. What inspired you to write it?

C.delaMare replied...
Well, I learned about these tapestries iny French class that no one knows the story of. I thought that was interesting and kind of went crazy haha .

Pinkblue replied...
Oh really? That is so cool. I can see how that could inspire you. That's cool that it did, since it's such a small little inspiration. I usually have to read in order to get any inspiration.

C.delaMare replied...
Oh thanks! Reading is a good inspiration though isn't ? Haha the author who tends to inspire me is Anya Seton. She's so good. Some say the inspiration should just come to you naturally but I don't know about that.

Pinkblue replied...
Yea. That is a very true point. So ARE you planning on a sequel? It could happen I think, personnaly.

C.delaMare replied...
I'm glad you think so. Yep ! I plan on there being a sequel.

Pinkblue replied...
How about making it into a triology? All good things are singles or trilogies.

C.delaMare replied...
Haha I don't know, it's too early to tell.

Pinkblue replied...
Yea. Well, it was very well done. It did take me a minute to get into it, but once I did, obviously I liked it. Good job. SO good. <3

C.delaMare replied...
Thanks again! I hope to read something of yours soon. Everyone can write (:

Pinkblue replied...
Yea, No prob. Thank you. Im working on some songs write now.

C.delaMare replied...
Nice!! (: I bet they'll be great!

Pinkblue replied...
Thank you. (:

C.delaMare replied...
Yup :3 anytime (:

Peggy said...
Prose well crafted.  Interesting reading.  Story line intriguing.  Writer has great potential.  High imagination level.  Keep at it.