War for San D'Oria | Teen Ink

War for San D'Oria

June 1, 2012
By Ryan1242351, Milton, New Hampshire
More by this author
Ryan1242351, Milton, New Hampshire
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The field was alive as men fought to the death. I would soon be within the mass of confusion. I made ready to enter the bloody massacre before me. I flourished my blade and readied my shield as I ran head on into the fray, slashing a preoccupied enemy with my blade. I engaged another man beside him, blocking his steel sword and returning with a devastating blow from my shield. I made sure to end his life before he could attack me again. I glanced at the men, scanning for a new victim and just as I found one I was smashed to the ground. Awakening from my slight daze moments later, I caught glimpse of a large axe charging for my head. I quickly rolled aside and targeted the legs, severing them completely off the man. With a quick twist yet another soldier was engaging me. I locked swords with him, and charged my boot into his knee, releasing a squeal from the man. I gave the man a bash to the head with my shield and moved on to the next victim. Suddenly a large blow came from behind, sending me crashing to the ground. I tried to recover from the blow but vision faded as I fell into unconsciousness.
The sun beamed through the window, lighting everything in my chambers. It was early morning on the day of my coronation, and my first task was to put on some clothes. I decided upon the garb my father used to wear when he was upon the throne. A deep blue chainmail shirt underneath a brilliant fur coat bearing the Sandorian coat of arms. The coat consisted of a blue and orange shield with a broad sword standing erect in the middle.
I loved my father very much, and it was a great honor to wear his colors and garb upon my coronation. There was a feeling within me, of sadness, and sorrow. Brought back by the clothing it was the feeling of wondering why my father hadn’t let me help him. I could have prevented his death, had he let me help.

“Soon.” I thought to myself. “Soon I will get my revenge. Arillokoth will pay for what he did to my father.”

Since the day my father died I have vowed revenge. Today would be the final step to put my revenge into action. I would attack him and defeat his heavens and he once and for all

“First I will take a much needed break, and head to my old hunting camp” I said to myself. It was my only peaceful place these days, being heir to the throne since my father had passed years ago. I should have been crowned then, but I wasn’t yet old enough.



My father was a generous man, always considering that of anyone under his rule helping them any way he could. He however had one flaw, he was as stubborn as a rock when it came to letting me do anything I might find danger doing. Luckily my mother had convinced him to let me train under his royal army, the Temple Knights. My mother had always supported me in anything I wanted to do and for that I loved her very much.



There was no greater force than the Temple knights but only one that may equal it. The equal was the forces of Arillokoth. His men fight barbarically and without any honor or pride. They fight for land, money, and anything they want to get their hands on. It was Arillokoth who took my fathers life years ago. Some believe my time as king would come and go fast. They thought Arillokoth had recovered from the very fight my father died in, and that he would soon march upon San D’oria once again.Either way it was soon my turn to rule the castle and keep everyone within it safe. With that thought I headed from my chambers to the throne room, ready for the day ahead.



Upon arriving I was escorted by four of the Temple knights I would soon have control over. They brought me up to the throne, where they parted in pairs of two to the left and right.

A massive crowd stood behind me as I approached the step of the throne. I knelt before my mother, the one who would proceed the coronation and announce me king.

In her hands she held a blade. It was Caladbolg the sword of my father, and the sword of the divines. Within the hilt sat 19 gleaming sapphires. They were my families heirlooms, all of the stones along with the sword. When my father was young, he had a sapphire embedded into one of the last two remaining holes.

There was but one slot filled on the hilt of the sword. It was designated for the twentieth king, to embed the last sapphire. I was to be the one who would do this. It brought me a great sense of honor to be the one to complete the two century old customs of my forefathers.

The blade was to serve as a divine weapon and be granted to each descending king as an heirloom. Caladbolg was a great symbol to all of San D’oria. It was the sword upon the crest, the savior of the kingdom and our shield against darkness.

The coronation began as my mother began to knight me. She placed the sword upon my right shoulder, then to my left shoulder. After completing those tasks she requested me to stand before her. I rose gently, listening to the silence all around me as the process went on. I looked into my mothers eyes, noticing the proud look on her face.

“My dear Faetalis, do you except kingship over the men and women of San D’oria? And will you except the blade Caladbolg?” My mother asked.

“Yes my lady. I accept your offer of kingship and the blade Caladbolg.” I replied

“Very well then.” she said “Then with the power within me, I declare Faetalis the twentieth, the king of San D’oria!”

The crowd went wild after the last words of the ceremony. I received the sword from my mother and raised it towards the ceiling letting out a warcry the echoed the room.

“I will be the greatest king you have ever known! I will rule with grace and excellency!” I yelled into the crowd with a look of promise stretching across my face.

“Now, fellow men and women, treat yourself to some of our finest drinks! Dine until your stomachs can hold no more! Let us celebrate my kingship, and the start of a new age for us all!

As I announced, servants began bombarding the room with refreshments for everyone. The castle corridors rang with life as everyone began to fill themselves.

“My king.” said someone to the right

“Ah, mother. What a fine day it is. I must thank you for everything for without you I might not be what I am today.” I replied

“So what plans have you weaved for our kingdom my lord?” she asked

“Well mother, I first shall take a journey to my youth camp. I need time to plan, without these overbearing walls surrounding me.” I said as I rose my hands towards the walls.

“You are in need of a queen my boy.” my mother stated

“Yes I know mother. But I must get the kingdom into a smooth order before I can do so with any women.” I told her

“Yes, agreed.” she replied “But you also need a son to take your thrown shall you pass.”

“Mother, I have not ruled for yet a day and you worry about my death? I will find a lady when the time is right. Until then I shall rule the kingdom as I am supposed to do.”

“All right, I will leave you to your doings.” she said

“Thank you mother, may the gods be with you” I told her as I began to walk to the food on the tables. “Fill I shall for I might not get another big meal like so for days to come.” I thought



The next morning came slowly. I rose from my bed around mid-morning and got dressed. Today I would head to my camp in the woods of Thoron. It would take me roughly a day with haste. I headed to the armory where I would retrieve my newly acquired sword, Calabolg, my Skalan bow, and my Gallant armor which was made of a silvery-white plate mail. Although it was sort of my vacation, I must be prepared for trouble as I am the new king.

After gathering my gear I went to the dining room for a quick meal. In the room I found my mother but she said nothing as I ate my grub. When I finished I stood up and pushed in my chair as any gentleman would do and in the process my mother simply said “I will take care of the castle while you’re away. Take your leave and be careful my lord.”

I smiled at her giving her my acknowledgement and began towards the stables. As I arrived at the stables a boy of 15 stood waiting for me as though he knew of my departure.

“Shall I fetch your horse my lord?” asked the stable boy. “No, I will retrieve it myself but thank you.” I replied

“Where might the new king be going if I may ask?”

“I’m riding out for a few days. I have a short mission to complete then I shall return.” I answered

“Well good luck to you my lord. I must warn you, there has been a number of sightings of mysterious men in the woods. Watch yourself out there as we wouldn’t want to lose our new king now would we?” said the boy with a smirk as he walked back into the stable.



Within the hour I was headed off to camp. During the ride I couldn’t help but to think about what the stable boy meant when he commented on my safety. As much as it bothered me, I put it on the back burner and let the peacefulness of the forest engulf me. All around me were small animals and critters making their distinct sounds, a fresh breeze upon my armored body, and lush sights to behold. These were just a few of the reasons I loved being in the woods of Thoron. From all of my trips through the woods, I knew it like a map in my head. It had been years since I visited my camp and it was about time I did again.

After passing over the mountains and traveling for several hours I was nearing my destination.

“Ah, we shall arrive to camp soon my steed, then you shall rest.” I said, but received no acknowledgement as I was talking to a horse.

Suddenly a loud snap took to the air causing birds to take flight all around and then the forest went silent.

The sound struck my ears causing my adrenaline to spike and jolting my horse into the air. I quickly tried to tame the beast and succeeded quickly. I scanned the woods as I flourished Caladbolg, bringing it to my front right side in ready to taste the flesh of any foe. But there was nothing around, not even a sweet woodland creature.

“Who is there!” I yelled into the trees with no avail.


“Where did everything go?” I thought to myself.
With the woods still silent I sheathed my blade wearily, expecting one might attack when I did so, but no one did.
“It must have been a stick under your steel hoof my friend, for I see no other living creature around.” I stated to my horse.
Upon that though I continued towards camp with caution, arriving within the hour roughly. I jumped off my horse and scanned the opening in the woods for a flat spot. I would pitch my small tent there so I wouldn't have aches upon waking the next morning. It didn't take long because of the size, but I still needed a fire.

I had thought ahead back at the castle and packed a flint and tinder to start a fire with. I proceeded to gather wood to burn as my horse grazed on the grass a short distance away.

"Its going to be a nice night here. I can already tell" I thought to myself.

Hours past and night had fallen as I continued to attempt a fire. *tink* * tink* * tink* Finally after trying for a while the first started to smoke and embers appeared .

“There we go! They finally caught!” I said, celebrating the newly burning fire.

Now to cook some of this grub! I stated with a roar from my stomach.

I put a large steak over the fire and within minutes gobbled the hole flank down my gullet. It was nearing the mid of the night and fatigue was starting to set in.

"I'm feeling lazy at the moment, I think I shall leave on my armor for warmth.

Although it might get hot in the morning when the sun peaks through. Oh well, we shall find out I suppose".

As I layed down for the night I made sure to put my fire out so no unwanted visitors might appear. With my tent already set up I climbed in and prepared my bed roll for slumber. Taking my time I got into it, making myself comfortable for sleep. Minutes later I was out like a candle in the wind.

I was awoken from my slumber by what seemed like a conversation.

"Look at this brother, the lord might want to know about our guest here." I heard come from what seemed like a man of older age. I was still in a sleepy daze as the conversation continued.

"Shall we search it?" said a younger man.

"Yes but make ready for what lies inside, for we know not of what it is" replied the older man. The two men inched closer as I began to awake and become alert.

"Go ahead and open it, I will cover your back" the old man ordered. As the young man reached to the tent, I caught glimpse of his fingers, springing forward and severing the arm at the elbow.

I exited the tent as the man screamed in pain.

Before I knew it an older man struck my hind leg with a long sword. He then came around for another strike upon my chest but I matched his speed and parried the blow. At once I stood gained my composure. The younger soldier lie on the ground, wailing over his missing limb still. I engaged the elder soldier in combat, circling him and preparing for his next assault.

"You will pay for my comrades arm fool!" yelled the old man as he swung his blade towards my upper chest.

Immediately I ducked and twisted, granting my blade a bit of flesh from the soldier thigh. He fell onto one knee with a painful grunt, still proceeding to swing at me. I parried again, but he swung quickly backwards, nearly catch my helmet, and myself off guard.

"You invaded my camp, and came battle ready. Did you not expect to come across another fighter my friend?"

"I'm not your friend" The soldier said releasing a wad of spit to my boots.

"Then you shall not be spared!" I yelled as I released my composure, swinging with accuracy and combination.

The elder soldier was well trained, but his age and fatigue soon caught up with him. He parried and dodged multiple blows. I once more allowed my blade to bit the flesh of the man, but this time opening a gash in the man. The blade ran through his steel shoulder plate with ease, carving down into his breast. The man let out a shrill that shook my bones, and then dropped cold to the ground before me. At once I knew all life had fled from the man, leaving a hard carcass on the ground.

I remembered the younger soldier missing his arm next to my tent. He was still on the ground, but made no noise. I walked towards him, aggravated by the events that had unfolded, I showed no sympathy for his missing limb. I knelt next to him and pinned my blade against the bicep of his remaining arm.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.